What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

100LL with or without Decalin

MVPILOT

Well Known Member
I have an RV-12 (Rotax 912 ULS) and most of the last three years I've been running high octane ethanol and lead free fuel purchased at the KAWO Flight Services. They will no longer be ordering it due to poor sales volume. I don't want to transport my own fuel so it looks like I'll be using 100LL which is approved for use in the 912ULS. However I was told today that many Rotax owners ad Decalin fuel additive to there 100LL. After reading the label I'm not sure it is a good idea because the label.

However this is written on the Aircraft Spruce Decalin label and it sounds like it might cause as many problems as it cures. "Make sure you remove and clean your oxygen sensor every 20 hours to remove these lead phosphate deposits when using Decalin RunUp." I'm not sure about using Decalin or not. Pros and cons?

I assume you lost Arlington flight service and they likely got it from Nelson Petroleum.

Pure-Gas.org-
Arlington 92 Arlington Flight Services
360-435-5700 18810 59th Dr Ne
87 92 Nelson Petroleum 360-435-2208 208 S West Ave
Arlington
92Oso General Store 360-435-4445 30230 Oso Loop Rd
87 River Rock Smoke Shop 360-652-4800 21125 Smokey Point Blvd

TCP/Decalin at combustion helps turn stickier lead salts to slippery lead phosphates. You still get lead in your oil, still use a lead suspending oil and shorter changes. If you clean the dry sump tank you find lead sludge.

There should be no O2 sensor in most any bing 64 carb'd 912s.

I use it whenever I run 100LL and it keeps my plugs clean. Run in the correct proportion (1-2oz per 10 gallons), it will reduce the amount of lead in your oil, as well as the rest of the engine, but it’s main purpose is to eliminate clinkers in the combustion chamber and on your plugs.

A good indication of correct volume is a little white residue in the tail pipe.

The only negative is the cost and having an extra step when fueling; both of which I consider minimal. I’m pretty happy with it.

I assume you lost Arlington flight service and they likely got it from Nelson Petroleum.

Pure-Gas.org-
Arlington 92 Arlington Flight Services
360-435-5700 18810 59th Dr Ne
87 92 Nelson Petroleum 360-435-2208 208 S West Ave
Arlington
92Oso General Store 360-435-4445 30230 Oso Loop Rd
TCP/Decalin at combustion helps turn stickier lead salts to slippery lead phosphates. You still get lead in your oil, still use a lead suspending oil and shorter changes. If you clean the dry sump tank you find lead sludge.

There should be no O2 sensor in most any bing 64 carb'd 912s.

Thank you. Yes I was getting it from Arlington Flight Services.

I use it whenever I run 100LL and it keeps my plugs clean. Run in the correct proportion (1-2oz per 10 gallons), it will reduce the amount of lead in your oil, as well as the rest of the engine, but it?s main purpose is to eliminate clinkers in the combustion chamber and on your plugs.
A good indication of correct volume is a little white residue in the tail pipe.
The only negative is the cost and having an extra step when fueling; both of which I consider minimal. I?m pretty happy with it.

THANK you.

Nope. 1/2 oz per 10 gal.
I?ve been using it in my Subaru when i use 100LL, works great.

Oh, sorry, I meant 1/2 oz per 10 gal. I was actually trying to correct the orig. post that indicated 1-2 oz per 10 gal.

My plastic jug has a mark for gallons of gas treated that takes the guesswork out. I bought it in 2012 when I got my AWC, and still have half the bottle left ?- shows how diligently I avoid 100 LL.😁

Oh, sorry, I meant 1/2 oz per 10 gal. I was actually trying to correct the orig. post that indicated 1-2 oz per 10 gal.

From the label on the Decalin bottle:
“The dosage of 1/2 ounce per ten gallons of fuel is a minimum. This can be increased to a maximum of 2 ounces per gallon for problem engines.”

I find that 1 oz per 10 gallons works best for me...YMMV.

Decalin vs. TCP

FWIW I compared my bottle of Decalin with my hangarmate's can of TCP.
I noticed that the Decalin dosage is half (by volume) of what the TCP instructions recommend. I do not have info for a price comparison to figure which is a better deal. In any case, I've used Decalin when filling up with 100LL...plugs were very clean after 80 hours, some sludge in the oil tank. Also noticed some "sparkly spots" in the exhaust ports which I assume are some of the converted salts?

FWIW I compared my bottle of Decalin with my hangarmate's can of TCP.
I noticed that the Decalin dosage is half (by volume) of what the TCP instructions recommend. I do not have info for a price comparison to figure which is a better deal. In any case, I've used Decalin when filling up with 100LL...plugs were very clean after 80 hours, some sludge in the oil tank. Also noticed some "sparkly spots" in the exhaust ports which I assume are some of the converted salts?

Also I think you will find on the TCP label that it is not to be carried in the aircraft.

Back