What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fun Down South

petehowell

Well Known Member
Andi and I had not been down South to see friends and relatives for a bit, so we cooked up a whirlwind trip and had a ball.

First to St Louis to see my favorite National Monument - The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial - AKA - The Arch....

Landed at KSUS and got great service from TACAir - they have self-serve for us little guys.

Grabbed a late lunch at a BBQ joint on KingsHighway

IMG_20140613_160805218.jpg

Saw the Arch up close.....

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

It was a sunny crisp 75 deg day in STL, just perfect! Saw a pitcher's duel at Busch and met some great locals......who told us they were cold.....

IMG_4470.JPG

The next day we did a flyby with the help of STL approach - they are very accommodating....

IMG_4514.JPG

We flew right over the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers - quite a sight. The mixing of the muddy and clear water is cool!

IMG_4530.JPG

Then off to lower Alabama where a sleek Silver RV-8 with big motor pulled along side...

IMG_4541.JPG

It was great to meet Dan and his wife Patti - we enjoyed a great BBQ lunch with them. Yes - his plane is as nice as you think it is - he has lots of cool toys in the hangar, too.

After lunch, off to Knoxville to overnight with our cousins - it was clearest I have ever seen it over the Smokies....

IMG_4555.JPG

Sunday - we found a nice VFR corridor home to Minne - not quite Vlad-like, but a really great weekend!

Google%2520Maps%2520APRS%2520-%2520Google%2520Chrome_2014-06-15_23-54-01.jpg

It is necessary to intercept all Yankee aircraft entering Dixie airspace. We search them and confiscate contraband beer, for reasons of homeland security.

No M-16's involved, so the AOPA stays out of it ;)

fx7342.jpg

Thanks to Dan Horton

Thanks to Dan for protecting our border, you know what happened last time (as Robert Lee called them) "Those People" came down here.

Thanks to Dan for protecting our border, you know what happened last time (as Robert Lee called them) "Those People" came down here.

Well, if they had brought enough beer for everyone, we wouldn't have had all that trouble. Southerners can't stay mad when handed a cold one ;)

St Louis

Would that happen to be Pappy's BBQ? I love the food there. Man vs Food did a challenge there once. Great BBQ.

Oly

Hey Oly,

The airport people said Pappy's might sell out on a Friday, so they said Smokin' Barrels was good too - and it was.

Would that happen to be Pappy's BBQ? I love the food there. Man vs Food did a challenge there once. Great BBQ.

Oly

St Louis BBQ

Was on vacation in the south last year and made a stop in St. Louis. Went to Pappy's Smoke House on two recommendations for lunch....did not need dinner that night. Great food.

I figured y'all was joking about St Louis being the south but reckon you'uns were serious.

Back