What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How high of a sawhorse?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
When I put the two halves of the fuse together I fashioned a rotisserie and have had that arrangement. I'm almost ready to be done with that and put the engine mount and wheels on. For that the rotisserie needs to go. I am going to build a wide sawhorse to put the forward fuse on because I hadn't needed one before.

I'm going to put the wheels on before doing the canopy and engine placement.
I have a shop crane to do the lifting.....

How high is enough to let the legs get put on without dragging the ground?
Where on the fwd fuselage is a safe good place to place it?

We had our 7 and 8 on trolleys for quite some time.

There are several designs out there but if you get stuck, drop me an email address and I will send you a snap of a sketch. It is for our 12 building table, but is adaptable. 3" and 4" x 2" CLS lumber, a good blockboard top and carpet tiles for protection. Its an afternoon's easy work after sketching to suit.

The main thing is access - you need to be able to bend into the fuselage easily. We are building a 14 as well and will keep the forward fuselage low on a trolley for some time. Yep, trial fit the undercarriage but once it is on it is high and access into the fuselage becomes a pain.

The fuselage needs to rest across the spar area. If you have the rear fuselage on, consider making two separate tables or trolleys, they can be customised to the correct height. If you put the tables on casters make sure they will take the load and that all of them have brakes :D Also consider the weight and balance - you will have to ballast the tail and strap it down.

Home Despot or Lowes do good casters.

The 8 table was around 2' high - that low !

You can do lots of good work on the engine and canopy while it is down there and accessible. Also, if you arrange the set up to have the side rails absolutely level, fitting the wings can also be done if you have space in the shop - all the measurements are easier.

JDA,

How did your rotisserie work out? I presume you had the tail cone attached, correct? I've been wondering about how I'm going to get my fuse wiring done and if that would be a good option.

I'll finish all work on canopy to help eliminate paralex issues with drilling and some work in the miscellaneous section before removing from rotisserie. I will then remove and put fuselage on low sawhorses.

Post pictures please

Hi, many of us would be interested in seeing details of the trolley and/or rotisserie. Any pictures / plans would certainly benefit me and others. Thanks!!

I'll work in some pics. Stoney had some similar pics here already. I copied off of others.

Back to the original thread. How high of a sawhorse gets the wheels off the ground?

Maybe so.... think is the rotisserie prevents mounting the engine mount. Eventually I have to lift the plane to get the gear on. If I lift to gear mount height I can put the gear and wheels on and get rid of the rotisserie. I can work around the panel with a step. Some things will have me inside the plane and I will miss the rotisserie but it's about time to move on.

It might be easier to lower it to get the canopy done. But I was thinking of doing that on the rotisserie and then after moving it to the wheels do the canopy layups.

I'm trying to not overthink it but at some point I do have to lift and get it on the gear.

For the canopy just put the fuselage on a stack of two pallets with some padding on the top of the pallets. Support the tail with what ever you have, old chair, small bench etc.
You do not want it too high when you are working on the canopy. A two by four will slide through the fuselage at the spar and makes a great way to lift the aircraft. One person on each side. It is not that heavy at this stage.
Keep it low for a long as possible.

Back