What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avgas, or MoGas?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
For those flying with V8 engines, what are you burning? 100LL, or 93 Octane MoGas?

What are the benefits? Cost savings? Cleaner oil? Is the alcohol a problem in MoGas?

Are there any airports that sell MoGas?

Lots of variables

I fly a Subaru 4 cylinder. I use 91 octane auto fuel with ethanol. There's many considerations as to what to use. Lead free in general is better for auto engines. I have had a stuck ring from leaded fuel and that seems to be a common problem with auto engines running 100LL.

You have to determine if your fuel system can handle the more volatile fuel and effects from alcohol. Also if you have higher compression levels or aggressive ignition timing you may need higher octane fuel.

-Andy

Availability

In general unleaded fuel is rarely available at airports. There's a few airports in the west in Oregon and Idaho. There's some around Oshkosh and scattered around. I usually end up buying leaded fuel when on a trip.

-Andy

Try this to find airport mogas.
http://www.flyunleaded.com/mapusairports.html

Leaded gas is pretty bad for aircraft engines, too, in most ways. ;-)

The rotary guys don't have to worry about octane (unless they run a turbo with a lot of boost), and most don't worry about ethanol, either. So most just run whatever pump mogas is within reach.

Charlie

Try this to find airport mogas.
http://www.flyunleaded.com/mapusairports.html

Leaded gas is pretty bad for aircraft engines, too, in most ways. ;-)

The rotary guys don't have to worry about octane (unless they run a turbo with a lot of boost), and most don't worry about ethanol, either. So most just run whatever pump mogas is within reach.

Charlie

Interesting map. In Texas, only 3 available. Guess I'll have to become my own tanker truck, hauling 5 gallon cans to the airport. This is what I did back in the 70's when I owned a C-172. It ran SO much better an auto fuel. But that is way before the EPA ruined the gas with the addition of alcohol.

edit: Just read that gasoline containing the dreaded alcohol MUST be avoided, as it will easily induce vapor lock.

Last edited:
Interesting map. In Texas, only 3 available. Guess I'll have to become my own tanker truck, hauling 5 gallon cans to the airport. This is what I did back in the 70's when I owned a C-172. It ran SO much better an auto fuel. But that is way before the EPA ruined the gas with the addition of alcohol.

edit: Just read that gasoline containing the dreaded alcohol MUST be avoided, as it will easily induce vapor lock.

You should check the regs, but I am fairly positive you can have up to 99 gallon tank in a truck bed (and you are in TX so you must have a truck) and be legal. Not sure in Texas, but in TN where I lived a few years you could go a select locations which sold fuel for farms and buy gas with no ethanol. Legally, you are supposed to send the FAA trust fund some cash per gallon you use. I think it was 11 cents, but do not quote me on that.

Tim

Vapor lock won't be a problem if your engine has an automotive fuel injection system using electronic controlled injectors and 35 psi fuel lines.
I ran a Mazda Turbo Rotary with 93 octane ethanol free Mogas, not a problem.
Unleaded fuel was required because of the Oxygen sensor in the exhaust pipe.
An automotive fuel injection system pumps all the fuel over the top of each injector. The unused fuel passes thru the fuel pressure regulator and returns to the fuel tank. So the fuel remains relatively cool, and the high pressure at the injector prevents vapor lock.
If you have faith in the reliability of electronic engine control, it is the best system.
When I removed the Rotary engine (I couldn't get comfortable with it) I retained the dual electric fuel pumps and 35 psi 'turn-down' regulator to feed the Bendix style fuel injector servo. I never have heat related re-start problems common with Bendix injection.
I don't use Mogas currently, but I used to carry it in a 55 gallon drum in the back of my pickup truck.
I built a drum cradle, the drum lays on it's side. I placed the big bung at the top, and the 3/4" NPT bung at the bottom. with a ball valve and hose. Fuel easily gravitated to the RV wing tank. You can't fill the drum as full, but it's still enough to fill an RV. The drum laying down in a cradle is lower in the pickup bed and easier to fill at the gas station. You can strap it down tight and clamp a ground wire to the drum, truck and a ground wire to the plane.

Last edited:
Back