What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GMA 245 cutout / installation

TShort

Well Known Member
I?m struggling a bit with the rack for the GMA245 in the new panel.

First, I can?t find a drawing for cutout dimensions in the install manual. Since it is a drop in replacement for the 34X series, I found those online.

Having said that, there are several options:

1. Cut a big hole for the entire stack. Not doing this option
2. Rack and radio install from the front.
3. Rack installs from the back, radio from the front.

I?m looking at option 3; however, the install notes point out that if the front lip of the rack is behind the panel, ?the connectors may not engage fully?.

When I install the 245 fully in the rack (with the locking screw), the rear of the bezel does not contact the front of the rack. There is a 1/16? gap.

This makes me think I could install the rack flush with the back of the panel, as the panel is 0.063 aluminum.

How have others installed these?

The 245 has little to no bezel, so the size of the cutout is critical. I?m really trying to avoid that gap around the radios and the ?loose? appearance that I see sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

There is a gap

Thomas,
My panel is .062 thick and I have a 245 installed. If you take a close look at the front end (opening) of the rack, the leading edge of the sides are offset from the top and bottom edges. In my installation, the front edge of the sides of the rack sit back 3/32" from the back side of the panel. The top and bottom edges of the rack sit back 1/32." The panel opening is 6.25" wide and with this, the bezel sits flush against the front of the panel when the unit is installed. I can send you some pictures if needed.
Regards,
J. Baker
RV8 Finishing

Thanks for the link.

I've looked thru the 245 install manual several times but can't find dimensions for panel cutouts (as there are in the 340 manual I found online).

Back