What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new tires

Deweyclawson

Well Known Member
Its time to replace my slightly used, pronounced bald, tires on my RV6A.
The serial number stamped on the side of one is J1D42602. Does this mean it was manufactured in the 26th week of 2002? Sixteen years old? or is the date stamped separately on the tire?

They are 6 ply Super Hawk by Specialty Tires of America.

In one post I found here, the OP said he bought Desser tires for about $90 including tubes. (A few years ago) In looking at the Desser web site and Spruce, I find that tubes are about the same price (or more) as the tires?????????? What am I missing here?? I could not find any indication that tires came with the tubes.

Tires seem to be reasonable price. Is there a more economical source for tubes?

Tubes are shockingly high for what they are, but I found that to be true across multiple vendors.

I'm running the Desser retreads now on my 9A.

Its time to replace my slightly used, pronounced bald, tires on my RV6A.
The serial number stamped on the side of one is J1D42602. Does this mean it was manufactured in the 26th week of 2002? Sixteen years old? or is the date stamped separately on the tire?

They are 6 ply Super Hawk by Specialty Tires of America.

In one post I found here, the OP said he bought Desser tires for about $90 including tubes. (A few years ago) In looking at the Desser web site and Spruce, I find that tubes are about the same price (or more) as the tires?????????? What am I missing here?? I could not find any indication that tires came with the tubes.

Tires seem to be reasonable price. Is there a more economical source for tubes?

"Northern Tool"
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_top-categories
….Unfortunately, most commercial lawn mowers have tires and tubes that are far superior to what is available in aviation!!!!

Last edited:
In one post I found here, the OP said he bought Desser tires for about $90 including tubes. (A few years ago)

I posted that... Desser offered free tubes in a Thanksgiving promotion. I placed this order 11-24-2016. $139.90. Don't think shipping was included...

(2) 500-5 6 PLY AWBS RETREAD,ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE (ELITE)
(2) 500-5 AERO CLASSIC **BUTYL** INNER TUBE TR-67 (GL-5067)

Tires and Tubes

My experience is that not all tubes or tires are created equal. The Michelin Airstop or the Aero Classic Leakguard hold air much longer between refills...even when using nitrogen. The regular tubes will require adding air every 2-3 weeks in my experience while the others will go 6 months...in this case I believe you get what you pay for from the maintenance perspective when you have to remove wheel pants to get at valve stems.

The tires on my 4 would wear the tread off the inside in about 12-15 hours, due to poor wheel alignment...(I did not build it). I was forever rotating the tires in order to get full wear (about 60-70 hrs total in my case) out of both sides. Didn't matter which of the cheaper tires I used. When I switched to the Goodyear Flight Special II 6 ply I found they lasted about 110 hrs with no rotating required. Much less maintenance was worth the extra for me. FWIW.

Al

Watch the Desser. Don't order nose wheel tire from them. Even the best RV ingenuity can not put it on a rim. Not sure if they still advertise here but their customer service need improvement. :eek:

I am looking at buying new tires for my RV-7 project.

Glad to hear about Goodyear Flight Special II. They look good and are less than $97. Other tire I'm considering Specialty Tires "Air Trac" about $67. Rounded profile and slightly smaller diameter and lighter it is more aerodynamic. (Note this is not Air Hawk, very draggy square profile).

As OP said I am shocked at the price of tubes... they are more than the tire...

PS I have 4 Lamb 6 ply 11x4.00-5 tires and they LOOK nice. I bought them new from Spruce. I was going to use them for my mains.

Last edited:
Anyone want to go out on a limb for RV6A tube size at Northern Tool?

If you are talking the nose gear you can buy tube for the "Lamb" Cheng Shin 11 X 400 X 5 tire. Those tubes are about $10 from Vans or Spruce.

If you mean main gear, Grainger has this tube close for main 5.00 x 5 tires.

Lawn/Garden Inner Tube, Size 13/500-6
Brand: HI-RUN
Item # 41P283
Mfr. Model # TUN4005
Lawn/Garden Inner Tube, Size 13/500-6
Price $9.00

Guessing tire is 13" OD, 5" Rim. I would say this tube is close for main gear 5.00x5 tires, which have 13.8" inflated OD.

Northern Tools has one tube for 5" rim:
Item# 24293
#1 Top Seller Martin Wheel Inner Tube — 340/300-5in., Bent Valve,
Model# T305K Martin Wheel Inner Tube
Price $1199

Not sure what size 340/300 is?

Last edited:
..even when using nitrogen.

OK, is there *really* any significant reason to fill with pure nitrogen in RV tires? Given that air is *already* 80% nitrogen?

I have no plans whatsoever to do this, as checking tires visually and actual pressure every couple of months is really no hardship, and I doubt that the tubes are degrading sufficiently over a few hundred hours of use between changes due to O2 or H2O to make any difference whatsoever, but I'm open to counterarguments :)

OK, is there *really* any significant reason to fill with pure nitrogen in RV tires? Given that air is *already* 80% nitrogen?

:)

Whats more, if you fill with air, and they lose pressure, presumably because the O2 molecules are smaller and they leak out, leaving behind mostly N2, then you refill with air, and again most of the O2 leaks out, leaving behind the N2, in a few fills you would have darn near 100% N2 !!

If a tire can lose more than 20% of its pressure, that means the N2 must also be leaking out.

In either case, I think the justification for spending money on a system to fill with N2, or paying an FBO to fill you with N2, is rather weak. I always thought the primary reason for N2 in tires on big airplanes was for fire suppression in the case of rejected takeoffs where the brakes get so hot that the tires often blow (through a designed-in relief plug). correct me if I am wrong.

Wilkerson Retreads in WV

Retreaded tires were $100. delivered to my door and they have been very good. Used Flight Special carcasses. Flipped them once. Still using original tubes from Vans and only have to add air once or twice a year.

The Nitrogen is DRY and has no H2O or water vapor and changes pressure less with temperature change.

I called a tire manufacture and asked: WHY ARE TUBES were so expensive. The reason?

There are only two manufactures of tubes, and only one in USA. Only Aviation is really using tubes (along bikes, vintage cars and some farm, but farm is going to tubeless quickly). Also the 5.00x5 tube has a right angle metal tube valve stem which is more expensive to make, along with the "schrader valve", which is also apparently made by only a few companies (I am told). Low volume means prices goes up. Is this true? This is what the manufacture said.

The Nitrogen is DRY and has no H2O or water vapor and changes pressure less with temperature change.

Yeah, but...so? We're not driving F1 cars here.

And what do you do when you need to fill a tire? Do you have your own N2 supply in the hangar or, like most people, do you just have a regular old compressor?

I don't think I'd want to install a Nitrogen fill system in my hangar, knowing that a leak can be fatal in very short order (I can't swing a dead cat here at work without hitting a sign warning about Nitrogen suffocation, but we do have some really large dewars of LN :) ).

Back