What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A forced landing, 29 palms, CA

G-force

Well Known Member
Ran across this post on a 4x4 forum today, is it any one on the forums? Curious if the problem is fixable and fly it out, or have to pull the wings and trailer.

zwyd84.jpg

2q33amp.jpg

If it is a simple fix shouldn't the owner be able to fly it out? Looks like a nice straight road with no obstructions. Authorities could block traffic for a few minutes.

Do the wings need to be removed for transport?

With the -9, if it has to be trucked out, the HS needs to come off, which means the VS has to come off as well.

I trucked one a short distance (30 miles) with the HS still attached after a nose gear issue and wouldn't do it again.

If it is a simple fix shouldn't the owner be able to fly it out? Looks like a nice straight road with no obstructions. Authorities could block traffic for a few minutes.

agree. if you could correct the cause you could fly it out. what are the regulations?

If it is flyable, try this: offer to hire some off-duty police and have them close the road for you,

If it's inside the park, then NPS has jurisdiction. Don't know if they'd allow it, but it'd up to the park superintendent and the LE rangers.

Take off from a park?

Many years ago during a contest, I landed my glider in a large, almost empty parking lot at a state park. It caused serious consternation to a park ranger who told me "You can't land that here!" I pointed out a couple of gliders overhead and in trouble and asked him to help me move the glider out of the way. His response was "They can't land here either."

Fortunately they found some lift and departed and the ranger departed to get some advice from his boss. Came back with the news "You can't take off from here." Also came with a long form that he spent the next hour trying to figure how to handle a glider in a parking lot.

When my wife showed up at the entrance, they charged her the full entry fee for a car and trailer.

I flew that way yesterday, just north of the Palm Springs TRSA en route to Desert Center (old crumbling military airstrip that was bought by Chuckwalla Raceway).

Nice that he set it down without damage to the plane or himself.

Back