What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My First Big Mistake

cderk

Well Known Member
Long time listener... first time caller....

Started my RV10 build a week ago, and I think I made my first non-recoverable mistake. I had the vertical stabilizer cleco'd together and everything was going fine. I removed the skin for dimpling. While dimpling, the skin somehow moved as I was swinging my hammer and i wound up making a new hole, right next to the one that was supposed to be dimpled.

I'm thinking I need to call Van's tomorrow and order a new skin.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I cannot figure out how to attach photos here, so here is a link...

Thanks,
Charlie

Nice - thanks Kyle. I'll have to do a little more searching to see if I can find a photo of what it looks like finished. That would be awesome if I didn't need to get a new skin. I'm less worried about the money. The time lost and the down time waiting for the new part is what sucks.

Thanks again,
Charlie

Nah.. easy fix.

Flatten the dimple you made and the new "surprise" hole/dimple.

Then above and below the hole that's supposed to be there along the rib drill new holes. Those will be the real holes that need to be dimpled and riveted.

Then just use a small rivet on the two mistake holes or use that bondo stuff to cover them..etc. No big deal.

Keep on building...

Hello Charlie,

This is unfortunate but common mistake. I am not qualified to provide feedback on a repair. What I can offer is, if you do decide to order a new skin, is to add the skin to my order for the RV-10 Wings which I will be ordering probably in the next 4 weeks. It should make shipping a non-problem.

I would also offer to have you try my DRDT-2. I have used both the C-Frame and DRDT-2 for dimpling and I think the DRDT-2 is a better tool, especially when working solo.

Congrats on starting. There will be mistakes that need correcting all along the way but there is goo news. This past week I rolled the forward edged of both elevators. After doing it on the rudder, the elevators were a piece of cake and came out really well. I have found that every time I do something the first time, it takes me longer than I thought but the second time it goes so much easier and the results are better.

Michael

Plus one on the DRDT-2

I did the same thing dimpling the vertical stabilizer with the c-frame. Thought everything was going well till my 14 year old son said "Dad, you made a mistake". Got a hold of the DRDT and haven't looked back. You can squeeze rivets with it too. Complete game changer for me.

I thought about the DRDT... But someone said that the c frame works just as well and many folks prefer it. I don't know that having a different tool would have helped me... It was my stupidity... Not the tool that screwed up.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the offer Michael, I think I'm going to try to get one this week. I realize that I can move on to the rudder, but I'm frustrated now and want to get it fixed asap.

I thought about this a lot tonight. If I'm going to be spending $150k when this is all said and done, I may as well do it right and just cough up the $100 or so and get a new skin. I have OCD, having two rivets next to each other would probably drive me bananas.

Welcome to the club

cderk...No worries. Welcome to the club. You will make many more mistakes I promise you. In fact...there maybe a point when you seriously question whether you should continue (I did). Take comfort that by the time you reach the wings, this will all be old hat. Keep plugging away and always look for help with the forums, the local EAA chapter, and the occasional email to Van's Support.

Hang in there. :)

Been there - done that

If I may suggest - when using the C-frame, hold the female dimple die down on the work (assuming the male die is on the bottom), then strike with your mallet. Much less chance of the work jumping and creating the unwanted hole.

DRDT

The DRDT-2 is great, but when I first started I did the same thing using it, so doesn't matter the tool, mistakes happen. Learn from it and move on, I learned I needed to slow down. ;)

Lynn

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. At the end of the day, I suppose that its more of a disappointment than anything. Since I haven't had the opportunity to call builder's support at Van's, I called them this morning. They pretty much echoed everything you're mentioning.

It was a good call - I like that they are so matter-of-fact. He told me that I need to get over my OCD or I will never finish the plane. That was a wakeup call I guess. So maybe I will try just fixing it. He suggested that I just match drill the "new" hole i made since i didn't dimple the right hole, and just patch the real hole before painting.

Charlie

It's an "opportunity" -- 1) you should go out and buy a big plastic bin (for scrap), and 2) use the 'mistake' piece now to practice different dimpling technique, (male on top, male on bottom, pounding too hard, pounding too lightly, cutting strips, layering, reversing a dimple, flattening a dimple, etc.). 3) Put a few scratches, and dents in the piece and try repairing them. 4) Throw the scrap in the bin (you'll need it for something else, someday.) Consider the it a practice project, and not a mistake. The practice may save you a big regret later.

It's an "opportunity" -- 1) you should go out and buy a big plastic bin (for scrap), and 2) use the 'mistake' piece now to practice different dimpling technique, (male on top, male on bottom, pounding too hard, pounding too lightly, cutting strips, layering, reversing a dimple, flattening a dimple, etc.). 3) Put a few scratches, and dents in the piece and try repairing them. 4) Throw the scrap in the bin (you'll need it for something else, someday.) Consider the it a practice project, and not a mistake. The practice may save you a big regret later.

I am building an RV 10 also and these are some great tips. I have re-built the Horiz spar a couple times. When I made a mistake my friend Mark said, "Great! More practice". I used those extra parts to test before countersinking, dimpling, etc. Later on I went to Vans and found out they sell samples of scrap to test on for like $10.00.

Keep going!

In DRDT-2 we thrust...

Long time listener... first time caller....

Started my RV10 build a week ago, and I think I made my first non-recoverable mistake. I had the vertical stabilizer cleco'd together and everything was going fine. I removed the skin for dimpling. While dimpling, the skin somehow moved as I was swinging my hammer and i wound up making a new hole, right next to the one that was supposed to be dimpled.

I'm thinking I need to call Van's tomorrow and order a new skin.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I cannot figure out how to attach photos here, so here is a link...

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for sharing your first big mistake...this is how we all learn from each other.

I made that mistake twice on the practice $30 aileron kit using the C-Frame. Prior to starting dimpling on my actual RV-8 parts, I reconsidered the options I have. Based on my experience with the C-Frame, I decided that buying a DRDT-2 was a better option. I am a "self proclamed perfectionist". I made the assumptions that the quantity of replacement parts + shipping cost would quickly come to the same price as a brand new DRDT-2 press. I got my DRDT-2 late last week and made a bench for it this week. I started using it tonight. I tell you, it is worth the investment.

Anyone wants to buy a brand new C-Frame from Avery, used only 2-3 times, just contact me !

Martin !

No big deal but if you decide to replace it, don't toss it. If you plan to do your own painting use it for paint practice! I even filled the holes with rivets so I could see how much paint to apply to nicely flow around them without filling them. It's also really nice having a large piece to practice your application skills on and it looks like a trophy hanging on the wall after the project is completed. So look at the up side and smile!

Mistake? I think it's a right of passage!
I can dishonestly say, I've never made that mistake.:D
I would appreciate your vote in 2016.

I'll vote early and often. I got a scrap HS skin in the shed with a hole inches away from where it should be. I'm gonna use it for something, ... someday. I shoulda just used it, and included a bit of filler, but no. Van got an order. Good advice here.

You got my vote (as long as there is no toupee)

Last edited:
The DRDT-2 is great, but when I first started I did the same thing using it, so doesn't matter the tool, mistakes happen. Learn from it and move on, I learned I needed to slow down. ;)

Lynn

+1...
Did the 8 shaped hole with a DRDT-2 also... :roll eyes:

buy the tool.......

I thought about the DRDT... But someone said that the c frame works just as well and many folks prefer it. I don't know that having a different tool would have helped me... It was my stupidity... Not the tool that screwed up.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the offer Michael, I think I'm going to try to get one this week. I realize that I can move on to the rudder, but I'm frustrated now and want to get it fixed asap.

I thought about this a lot tonight. If I'm going to be spending $150k when this is all said and done, I may as well do it right and just cough up the $100 or so and get a new skin. I have OCD, having two rivets next to each other would probably drive me bananas.

the DRDT will help you especially if you work alone, yes the C frame works, and it works very very well... but so did riding a horse until they invented the car....

Back