What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Location

Karetaker

Well Known Member
I have a Piper Blade type pitot that I was planning to mount on the square access plate used for the stall warning kit. This moves the pitot out onto the leading edge as opposed to having it near the wing spar. I am curious if there would be airflow issues in this area giving me inaccurate air speed readings?

I would think there would at least be a little bit of error as that access plate is angled up a bit compared to where it is usually mounted. How much error I don't know.

Plans call for the pitot tube to be 6" below the wing surface. I don't think it would work well on the leading edge.

Some have used that area for their AOA probe (hollow rivet).

I have a Piper Blade type pitot that I was planning to mount on the square access plate used for the stall warning kit. This moves the pitot out onto the leading edge as opposed to having it near the wing spar. I am curious if there would be airflow issues in this area giving me inaccurate air speed readings?

I would suggest you do yourself a favor and get a standard pitot mount and a Garmin Pitot tube GAP26 ($199) and then you will have a "standard" install. I've removed plenty of non standard installs that somebody thought was a "better idea" that didn't work or looked like ****.

Pitot Tube for sale

Karetaker,

I have a new in pitot tube, never installed. I installed a Dynon unit. PM me if you interested. I will make you a good deal.

Back