What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder top fairing hole missing?

didja

I am in the process of installing the fairing on top of the rudder. Looking at the plans, it shows that there should be 9 holes pre drilled on either side of the top of the rudder to rivet the fairing in place. The rudder only has 8 holes drilled from the factory and I didn't recall seeing a step that mentioned drilling a new hole. The hole that appears to be missing is the most aft rivet hole.

Anyone run in to this? I am thinking that it should have the 9th hole, since as it sits without it there is approx 5 1/2 inches of the trailing edge of the fairing that is not fastened with any rivet or anything else. Should I still an extra hole to match the plans, or would the 8 existing holes be sufficient?

I am going to try to attach photos. Not sure how well it will come out

Last edited:
Sounds like Van?s came up with a solution to the problem of not enough room to set the pop rivet closest to the trailing edge!

Yea, just got off the phone with vans builder support and he repeated exactly what you said!

Last edited:
What did you guys end up doing? I drilled the hole, dimpled with pop rivet 120 degree dies and put in the the cs4-4 rivet as normal per the plans.

-Jason

After speaking with tech support at vans, they stated that the drawings were not updated since they decided to remove the rivet location due to clearance issues. I asked them if the fact that there are no fasteners for the last 5 1/2 inches would be an issue, just to be sure, and he said no, no problem.

So, I just have the 8 rivets where the pre-drilled holes were located.

Back