What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Wing Tip Finishing

Geico266

Well Known Member
I would like to come up with something to fix the butt ugly wing tip close outs.

RV-12_tip_1__Small_.jpg

RV-12_Tip_2__Small_.jpg

Here is what I'm thinking.....

1. Lay 3-4 layers of fiberglass on the edge to build it up to the same thickness as the light kit tip extender.

2. Counter sink and pull rivet the bonded material to the wing tip for strength and stability.

3. Add resin and flox paste to fill in the forward tip area for a smooth transition.

4. Wrap a couple more wet pieces of fiberglass over the whole thing and sand to blend it all in.

5. What do you all think?

I know there are some creative builders and composite guys lurking here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Ugly tips

Hi Larry,

I brought this up some time ago, thinking maybe I had done something wrong. I'm planning to use .020 sheet on the stab tips (after certification) and still thinking about the wing tips. Let us know how you accomplish this. Also, just how did you fill the holes in all those rivets (I'm thinking about a water-soluble acrylic putty-- dab on and wipe smooth) and how long did it take to fill 10,000 of them?

Wayne
120241 (N143wm reserved)

why do anything. leave them as they are good ventilation and drainage holes
and wouldnt filler crack and fall out eventually

Might be interesting

If you could document your stall speed before/after. Also, how about some sort of plug or cover up for those 'hand holes'? :cool:

If you could document your stall speed before/after. Also, how about some sort of plug or cover up for those 'hand holes'? :cool:

Interesting you should say that!. I was just thinking about a plug / cover of somekind, but at night, with the strobes on, the hand holes are lit up & flash so you know the strobes ad lights are working. :D

Here is the progress using Wests 205 hardener due to cold weather.

RV-12_tip_wglass.jpg

I added a layer of microballons and resin this afternoon, and I should be finished tomorrow with final sanding and a skim coat of resin.

RV-12_Close_out_complete__Medium_.jpg

Completed tip.

Last edited:
Imagine us RV guys 'fixing' something with fiberglass!:cool:

I thought about breaking out the ol' leather bean bag and pointy hammers, but I opted for fiberglass. My hat is off to guys who can metal smith parts, I try my hand at it at EAA workshops at OSH & SnF. What can I say, I really like working with glass.

Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Back