What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Startin' the Skins"

meadeduck

Well Known Member
We are kit number 16 and we started put on the RV12 skins today; we made a couple of goofs and corrected them and had some problems with the riveter and our compressor but we managed to get the top skins on the ribs of the right wing today. You can go to blogspot.com and pull up rv12builders and see our pics and some more commentary. Van's has done a really great job on the photos, directions and explanations...now if only we would follow them, we'd had a lot fewer rivets to re-drill...

Last edited:
skins

We started the second wing skins today. Much faster the second time around. Riveter problems also. I am returning our 4th Harbor Freight riveter to get the 5th. That must be some kind of record.

We started the second wing skins today. Much faster the second time around. Riveter problems also. I am returning our 4th Harbor Freight riveter to get the 5th. That must be some kind of record.
The riveter that Avery sells works really well and I can't get my Harbor Freight rivet gun to work at all. The mechanism doesn't pull when the trigger is squeezed. Anybody have any suggestions?
Also, the Avery gun jammed once but it was because the mandrels got stacked up inside the gun. Take the mandrel catcher off and get an inexpensive magnetic picker-uper from Harbor Freight. The mandrels will jam up entering the catcher.

Bart

1. Take the bottom off the HF gun, pull the diaphragm, fill the center 'tube' with oil just shy of the tube's collar & reassemble.

2. Pull the snout off, clean the jaws, adjust the pull mechanism length & reassemble.

3. Test

4. If it won't go, oil is too full.

5. If it won't let go of the mandrel the pull mechanism might need more/less adjustment.

I'm no expert but just re-did mine and all is well now... they spit oil out the relief opening with every pull and eventually need re-filling.

HF

bottom won't come off of mine...not with the tool they send or anything else. any clues? thx

yeah...mine did too but i can't even get it to turn in a vise grip. maybe i'll take it up to a machine shop and see what they've got. thanks.

HP Rivet Gun

The bottom will come off. I had to double wrench mine to get it off. One other thing to look at is the lock nut on the chuck. Mine was loose which caused a temporary problem. Also lubricate gun daily.
Both wings and flaperons finished. Waiting for Van to accept orders. I was told the tail kit has been programmed and they are just waiting to finish up some spin testing before accepting deposits.
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC, (soon tobe for sale)
J-3, NC88583
RV-12, (wing kit finished)

Both wings and flaperons finished. I was told the tail kit has been programmed and they are just waiting to finish up some spin testing before accepting deposits.
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC, (soon to be for sale)
RV-12, (wing kit finished)
Wow... that was fast!
That might explain why Vans has been dead-silent for a while.
I got to fly the rv-9 factory demonstrator, it was very nice. Curious as to why you would sell yours to build an RV-12?

RV-9/Rv-12

The RV-12 is a elder airplane. Believe me if I was younger no way would I consider selling the Nine. It is one fantastic airplane, probably the best flying of Van's fleet, but not the fastest. The yellow Twelve I flew at SNF was a good flying airplane. I hope the Red One with a different wing flies as good. My hangar is 40 x 40 and with a Cub, RV-9, and the Twelve in process it is a bit crowded. After building two RVs and restoring a couple of old taildraggers building the Twelve is a piece of cake. It's also fun.
Gerry

"The RV-12 is a elder airplane."

I'd sure like to hear an explanation of this statement. I finished my RV-6 at the tender age of 31. Now 45 I'm interested in building an RV12, but I don't want to be flying an "old-man's" airplane.

Did you use this term because it's slow, or is it just unfun to fly?

pnumatic rivet puller from Harbor Frieght

If you can't get the bottom off, take it back and they will get it off for you.
They have a big, herky wrench and they put it in a vise. Then they hit it w/a big rubber hammer..................? It worked.

Elder Airplane

For me the Twelve is a Elder Airplane. It might not be for others. Nothing negative intended, as I said it is a good flying aircraft. I built my RV-6 when I was in my fifties, very exciting airplane, built my Nine in my late sixties, very stable forgiving airplane, now building the Twelve in my seventies. It would be interesting to know how many Elders are building the Twelve. I bet it would be a bunch over 60 or pilots with medical issues. For Fun flying you can't beat a Cub.
Jerry if you read this, don't use a drill to tap, use a wrench, make sure you use a starter tap, I have found a little cutting oil helps alot when drilling or tapping.
Gerry Chancey
RV-6, N76GC, Sold
RV-9, N92GC
RV-12, N6GC, Wings Finished (waiting for next kit)
J-3 Cub, NC 88583

your right!

Gerry ... my FBO I rented the Remos G-3 from this afternoon also told me the tap DOESN'T go into the drill ... I don't think I got a tap handle with my Avery kit, going to take a look. This RV-12 is going to be one heck of a learning process for me. Thanks. Jerry

Hoping its as fun as a -9

The RV-12 is a elder airplane. ...After building two RVs and restoring a couple of old taildraggers building the Twelve is a piece of cake. It's also fun.
Gerry

Lets hope the -12 doen't become known as the AARVP-12 - as in the American Association of Retired Vans Pilots-12 :D

Scott

RV-9, RV-12 Waiting on Wings (#85)

Harbor Freight rivet Gun

My build-partner, George Marchman and I had the same problem with the rivet gun. We just went down to Peachtree City and bought the Avery Gun, at twice the price but it was worth it. It only hung up once and we were able to get the rivet out by unscrewing the nose piece and sawing it off. We had enough nail to grab onto with the hand squeezer.

Back