What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS EM-6 EFI ECU

Rusty's panel. Should be either in by today or in next few.

Click for full size.

Last edited:
New Programmer installed

I've just finished reading though this thread (normally on the Glasair forum). Thought I'd post a few panel pics with the new controller panel installed.

This is my Sportsman which has about 300 hours on it and I decided to do the SDS install as well as a supercharger (now bolted on but not plumbed).

ps. What's the best way to post pics to this forum?

Panel-1.jpg

Panel-2.jpg

Panel-3.jpg

Update

It's been a while since I updated progress on the EM-6 ECU because we've been so busy with our day to day business. Most work is being done on software right now.

Barry has released V31 software for current EM-5 ECUs. This is a direct development for EM-6 ECUs and enables longer injector pulse widths at high power settings than before. This was something we wanted to do for years but never had the time. This is mainly focused on turbocharged engines and we had to complete this for 2 time Sport Class winner Andrew Findlay for his 2020 run in time for his early flight testing this month. Hopefully Reno goes on this year.

Other software work is being done to enable customers to reflash their own ECUs on the EM-6 from a download. This will save time and shipping costs sending them back for this work to be done as has been the case on EM-5s.

There is some more code to write and test for new data logging capability and closed loop enhancements. The former will be a bit time consuming, the latter will just be a variation of experimental code written in 2008 which worked well in flight testing.

Hardware should be the easier part after all this, but you never know in this business until it's all done and tested.

Ross, this may be stupid question, BUT any customer w Em5 upgrading to Em 6
that would want to sell? I am putting together 1.8 honda civic an think 5 would
be adequate/simple for my needs in zenith 701. Tom Hankamp

EM-6 deliveries are quite a ways off at this time and we'll be wanting the EM-5s back on trade for this upgrade. EM-5s from other markets pop up from time to time on the used market since there are a couple thousand out there.

Is there any update on the EM-6 development? Future release date? Expected features?

Would be nice to see some updated information.

Is there any update on the EM-6 development? Future release date? Expected features?

Would be nice to see some updated information.

We've missed the release date about 4 times now so I guess those are pointless now. I never anticipated business would triple over the last 3 years which has delayed this project considerably.

The good news is many of the new EM-6 software updates developed are already in the current EM-5s being shipped and we'll still exchange full system ECUs purchased from 2018 onwards at no charge.

Can't say too much more about new features until it's all released as others have copied our ideas before.

...The good news is many of the new EM-6 software updates developed are already in the current EM-5s being shipped and we'll still exchange full system ECUs purchased from 2018 onwards at no charge...
The EM-6, when available, will be a plug-and-play swap for the EM-5?

Back