What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compatibility - Dynon / Garmin

Hey lads,

Just wondering if someone can help me with this question....

I have installed Dynon AP servos and heated Pitot... Will Garmin avionics be compatible? Has anyone else done something similar.

I was originally planning to install a Dynon fit-out but would still like the option to do either.

I'm not keen on replacing what I currently have.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Dan

The Dynon servos will not work with the Garmin systems.

The pitot can be used with either.

Correct, Dynon screens will talk to Dynon servos and Garmin screens will talk to Garmin servos - but you can't mix them.

You can run a Dynon Skyview EFIS to drive the autopilot servos and use an ARINC-429 to interface between the Garmin and Dynon screens, so you can fly a coupled approach from the Garmin.

The Dynon servos will work with AFS screens as well.

AFS is probably a more equivalent comparison to the Garmin in my opinion.

Correct, Dynon screens will talk to Dynon servos and Garmin screens will talk to Garmin servos - but you can't mix them.

You can run a Dynon Skyview EFIS to drive the autopilot servos and use an ARINC-429 to interface between the Garmin and Dynon screens, so you can fly a coupled approach from the Garmin.

To clarify/further add to Airguy's comments, yes you can use the GNS or GTN series Garmin IFR Navigators as a navigation source for the Dynon gear (with the appropriate interface). You just can't use the G3X/G3X Touch system to control the Dynon servos nor can you use the Skyview system to control the Garmin servos.

The Dynon servos are stepper motors and use the Dynon DSAB bus for communications. The Garmin servos are brushless DC servo motors and use the Garmin version of CAN bus for communications. Two totally different servo and communication methods.

You now know the Gamin and Dynon servos can not be interchanged BUT you do not have to replace your servo brackets if they are already installed.

The Garmin/Dynon brackets are pretty much the same and can be used for both brands of servos. Dynon and Garmin apparently copied True Traks mounting system.

Dan,
I have Dynon SkyView classic and Dynon A/P servos, plus a Garmin GTN650 nav system. The GTN and SkyView interface through the ARINC module beautifully, giving me a great IFR RV-7A IMHO.

Thanks for the info guys.

Good to know that I can swap out the servos and use the same mounts. The last thing I need is to create more work.... I'm already dreading starting the canopy.

Appreciate it,

Dan

Back