What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA

My RV-6 does not have one but I did add provisions to my RV-8 wing for one.

Everyone that I know flying with one loves it so I am going to find out for myself on the RV-8. I added the Avery BLUE pitot tube mask with Red and Green lines that can be used with the Garmin or Dynon AOA probe. I purchased a Garmin AOA to get everything installed correctly but if I go Dynon, I will sell the Garmin AOA here on VAF.

Installed a stand-alone Alpha Systems AOA with a Legacy style display mounted on the glare shield. Has worked great so far after 2 1/2 years in my RV8A.

JoeBob,

We have the standard Dynon AOA fitted to our RV7.

One of the simplest tools to increase flight safety I have seen for a long time.

The calibration is a bit time consuming - dedicated flight, various manoeuvres to set up the unit including full power stalls - they were exciting !

Once calibrated though it gives you eye-line information about your AOA and when you at risk.

Simple ladder system Green, amber, red. The bars gradually disappear as AOA increases. As you lose the last amber - you stall !

Shows how things can get bent out of shape on the base - final turn for example and also if you are going into a short strip, your focus can come off speed and onto AOA which is a better gauge in the late stage of the approach.

Whether you integrate one into EFIS or fit a stand alone system, when used correctly, you will be well informed and well protected.

Among our various machines, we've got the stand-alone AFS Pro installed in the RV-8 and RV-3, and they both work great. In our Tundra, we just installed the Alpha Systems Eagle with the Valkyrie HUD option - very slick product, and also works very well. The Tundra also has the Dynon SkyView with AoA, and the RV-6 has the Garmin Touch with AoA (both of those using their dedicated pitot tubes) - love them both for their audio capability.

As you can see, I am a big fan of flying the wing with AoA !

I have the Proprietary Software (bought by Advanced Flight System) Sport. Been working great for 10+ years. One of only two instruments I alter my looking-out-the-window to look at during landing. Of coarse the other is airspeed.

Dynon AOA

I find the visual AOA indicator on my Skyview hard to discern with a quick glance, but the audio feed makes the visual display redundant. Slow beep starts at the beginning of the yellow zone, and increases in frequency to steady tone just before the stall. It is much more effective than the traditional ASI and stall warning horn, especially for tight strips, since my minimum approach speed varies by as much as 15 KTs depending on weight. It helps me with beginner aerobatics, and unlike stick force, it is not fooled by aft CG, which improves safety at the end of a long, loaded, cross country flight.

It was a fun challenge to calibrate the system, I had a co-pilot fly the stall sequences so I could focus on pushing the buttons at the correct moment.
Jay

I find the visual AOA indicator on my Skyview hard to discern with a quick glance, but the audio feed makes the visual display redundant. Slow beep starts at the beginning of the yellow zone, and increases in frequency to steady tone just before the stall. It is much more effective than the traditional ASI and stall warning horn, especially for tight strips, since my minimum approach speed varies by as much as 15 KTs depending on weight. It helps me with beginner aerobatics, and unlike stick force, it is not fooled by aft CG, which improves safety at the end of a long, loaded, cross country flight.

It was a fun challenge to calibrate the system, I had a co-pilot fly the stall sequences so I could focus on pushing the buttons at the correct moment.
Jay

Jay,

Mind if I ask what you are using for the settings for when the tone starts? I think I have mine set too high at 50%/100%. From looking at the flight data, I may bring the first number down to 25%, based on what I see when comparing AOA vs IAS while on approach.

Would appreciate experimenting with your tone settings, if you don't mind sharing.

Rob

Yes.

It is Garmin and we like it. I have found that other than setting it up then flying into down- wind to base and hitting the magic number I want then cross double checking the green dot on the AOA indicator I really don't use it much at all. Once you get used to an RV and what it is telling you it is going to do the AOA just kind of drops to the back burner of my scan. Just what I have found, you may use it all the time. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I have the Proprietary Software (bought by Advanced Flight System) Sport. Been working great for 10+ years. One of only two instruments I alter my looking-out-the-window to look at during landing. Of coarse the other is airspeed.

+1, I have the AOA sport version mounted on th top of my RV-8 glareshield. It too has been running great for 5+ years. I would consider an AOA to be a must have instrument for any RV.

I installed an AFS Sport AoA system in my Lancair and it has saved my bacon numerous times in the pattern. I would be very reluctant to fly without my AoA now.

Back