What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Fairing Installation Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I will ask anyway.

Section 11 is the attachment of the of the horizontal and vertical stabilizer, rudder and elevator.

Section 12 is the attachment of the fairings to the above parts. Should one put the tail together and put on the fairings to make sure everything lines up then take apart to do the fiberglass work? Or should all the parts be left in place.

Or do the parts need to be attached to the empennage to do the fairing attachment.

Thanks

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I will ask anyway.

Section 11 is the attachment of the of the horizontal and vertical stabilizer, rudder and elevator.

Section 12 is the attachment of the fairings to the above parts. Should one put the tail together and put on the fairings to make sure everything lines up then take apart to do the fiberglass work? Or should all the parts be left in place.

Or do the parts need to be attached to the empennage to do the fairing attachment.

Thanks

I would tell you that the HS and VS need to be attached to the fuselage to fit the fairing. I'd leave it all assembled until the fit/finish is complete for that fairing.

From a storage perspective, I?d say it?s dependent on your shop and space. I have a larger shop, but after assembly including hardware, I took it all apart. The components were hung high on the walls out of harms way, but suitable for show-and-tell. On a practical basis, when the fuselage gets married to the empennage, tail fins would be in the way, and if you use a rotisserie (as I did), you need the rear surface where the vertical stab mounts for mounting. It was over 2 years before the VS & HS got reassembled again as part of final assembly.

Back