What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear window sealant

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Any recommendations on what to use other than what Van's recommends. I'd like to install it (water proof) but be able to remove it if the need arises. Or, am I just wrong here? Your thoughts here please. Thanks, Ed

Ed -

Depends ... I did not Proseal the rear window to the turtle deck because my RV-12 has the old flat Lexan material that is under constant stress from the bends. I figure eventually it will begin to craze on its own as most all do (even without the help of fuel) and I'll just replace it with the newer plexi window now available when the crazing gets bad. I figure not having the Lexan Prosealed to the turtle deck will make the rear window replacement much easier when the time comes.

That said, I did have the painter lay a narrow bead of Proseal to seal the edges of the canopy and rear window after the airplane was painted.

Happy building,

Last edited:
We used Sikaflex to install our newer acrylic rear window. Love it. Not sure what would necessitate removing it, since it won't crack and craze like the old polycarbonate window did. As a bonus, no drilling, so no holes, so far less opportunity for cracks to develop. When we re-paint I'll probably just skim over the screw holes with a little filler; until then we'll use some black trim tape to cover them.

I didn't bother to seal mine. I don't plan on getting it wet. More opportunities to make a big pro seal mess than what it was worth.

Yes, our group is building per the Kit Assembly Instructions that say to use it, and I think it makes sense too. The plans also say to roll the edge too which we?ll do.

I laid down masking tape on the aluminum right up to the edge and then another tape about 3/16? from the aluminum on the plexiglass. Then I smeared in clear RTV and pulled up the tape before it set. That results in a nice neat bead of RTV that seals the window but makes window removal easy if you have to at a later date.

I laid down masking tape on the aluminum right up to the edge and then another tape about 3/16? from the aluminum on the plexiglass. Then I smeared in clear RTV and pulled up the tape before it set. That results in a nice neat bead of RTV that seals the window but makes window removal easy if you have to at a later date.

Exactly what I did too. So it is sealed but will make it easier to remove it if required

Would the Permatex sealant not be a good solution for this? I haven't started the finish kit yet, however i just completed the firewall/avionics cover and it has you use boelube, lay a bead of permatex and let set allowing the cover to be removed after cured.

I used fuel tank sealant as the instructions described. I used the corner of a heavy duty black trash bag with the corner cut just enough to squeeze out a small bead. i think i ran my [gloved] finger over the bead in order to push a little bit more between the skin & plexi.

Wasn't a huge mess like the fuel tank. It'll probably be removed by the painters though when I send my plane out for that.

Back