What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjusting rudder controls

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Got my 14 mostly rigged .. everything went well but ran into an issue with the rudder.

I have 33 degrees deflection without the cables, both directions. The called for min was 30, max 35.

With the cables attached I'm getting probably 25-27 degrees max.

I have the pedals installed in the middle position and the cables attached on the far aft hole.

Is the 30/35 degree min/max supposed to be with the cables attached? If so, I'm at a loss how to adjust it from here.

Any advice appreciated :)

Where did you get the 30, 35degree numbers.

I believe the rudder deflection is based on the clearance to the tip of your elevator and not based on a degree. You want to make sure there is enough (at least 3/4") clearance from your elevator but I have gone a bit more than the plans calls for. In a strong wind, there is enough deflection that you could hit the elevator and ding it.

Interesting... the plans has a different way of setting the stops which is based on the minimum clearance to the elevator tip.

I be interested to see which method is the correct method and how much of clearance one has with those numbers.

Lastly, I can't see how the rudder cables limit this deflection unless your rudder pedals hit the firewall or some other thing and won't go all the way forward. As one cable is pulled back, the opposite side gets pulled forward.

Last edited:
I be interested to see which method is the correct method and how much of clearance one has with those numbers.

I have 1.5-1.75 inches on both sides to the elevator/trimtab (with elevator neutral).

I can't see how the rudder cables limit this deflection unless your rudder pedals hit the firewall or some other thing and won't go all the way forward. As one cable is pulled back, the opposite side gets pulled forward.

They don't appear to, but I didn't get underneath and inspect, I'll do that tomorrow to be sure.

Which position are yours mounted and which hole are you using in the pedal linkage?

They don't appear to, but I didn't get underneath and inspect, I'll do that tomorrow to be sure.

Which position are yours mounted and which hole are you using in the pedal linkage?
I think the pedal linkage just provide adjustment capability based on which hole position you have selected to mount the pedals. There are at least two but I think three positions available for the pedal to be installed which brings it fore or aft for your comfort based on your height. Then you use the linkage accordingly. I still think the limitation is coming from the rudder pedal and 1.5" space seems too much and most likely you are not hitting your stops that are riveted to the side of the fues.

I still think the limitation is coming from the rudder pedal and 1.5" space seems too much and most likely you are not hitting your stops that are riveted to the side of the fues.

It hits the stops with the cables detached. I'm using the flyboy internal stop.

Although I didn't see anything at first glance I'll get up underneath tomorrow and see if anything is interfering, thanks for the advice!

It hits the stops with the cables detached. I'm using the flyboy internal stop.

Although I didn't see anything at first glance I'll get up underneath tomorrow and see if anything is interfering, thanks for the advice!

Thinking about this more, it is probably the pedal that comes aft as the cable gets pulled. Extending the cable thru the linkage by one or two holes should give you the desired deflection.

Thinking about this more, it is probably the pedal that comes aft as the cable gets pulled. Extending the cable thru the linkage by one or two holes should give you the desired deflection.

Yep, that's it. It didn't click for me until you said that. The cables are crossed so move them forward for more deflection. Thanks!!! :eek: :confused: :eek:

Last edited:
Back