What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Largest RV-12 Fly-in East of the Mississippi (Now Cancelled)

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
At least that we know of. So far 5- RV-12s committed plus a few other RVs and spam cans from North Alabama and North Georgia are converging on Ft Payne Isbell field 4A9 in Northeastern Alabama on Saturday 27 August to talk planes and for lunch.

Plan is to show up mid-morning, 9-10 AM CDT at the airport to check out the planes and share building and flying tips and adventures. We will get a head count at 10:30 and use the courtesy car to pick up barbeque for lunch in the FBO conference room around 11:30. Plan is to finish and depart for home to avoid the afternoon build ups.

100LL is $3.70 a gallon. Runway 4/22, ASOS is 119.025 and CTAF 122.8. Elevation 876 with pattern as 1900 by information. For a RV-12 I use 1700 and when flying the ridge for 22 extend the down wind and turn base at altitude and start descent when clearing the ridge and through final.

Anyone interested in a RV-12 or any airplanes is welcome to join us. Send me an email if coming so I can have a better idea of the group size.

Last edited:
Awesome I am glad to see we have others are organizing RV-12 fly-Ins. FYI in our third year of hosting the Southeast Wisconsin fly-in at Fort Atkinson airport the weekend before Airventure, we had 6 RV-12?s and one under construction. Let?s get together and improve the attendance of all the RV-12 fly-Ins. See you at Fort next year??

I flew up to Oshkosh on that Saturday and found weather challenging in Wisconsin. Stopping over was an option I considered.

Fort Payne

I plan to be there Saturday around 9:00-9:30cdt. My wife will accompany me. Really looking forward to this little get together and maybe it will grow in years to come. See y'all Saturday.
DBR

Successful Fly-in

We had typical summer haze for arrival and scattered afternoon thunderstorms for our return but enjoyed a morning looking at each others planes and discussing our trials and adventures in building them. Hanger talk about flying adventures will wait until another day perhaps with an adult beverage. After a barbeque lunch from Sally's Smokin Butt Barbeque we went our separate ways to try to beat the afternoon buildups home. Ended with 5-RV-12s, 1-RV-9, 2-RV-6A and a Cessna 172 for 14 RV enthusiasts plus a few locals that checked out our planes. We will do this again!

Nice! Great looking 12s, glad you had Wx and a good turnout. A 12 get-together is a lot of fun.

Another RV-12 fly-in

Some of the same folks and two new RV-12s from the Huntsville area flew to Lawerenceburg for lunch at the Brass Lantern. We now have 4 local RV-12s and one that has not hatched yet. Looking forward to more 12 get togethers. Perhaps SERFI on 22 October at Evergreen. AL (KGZH) and/or Blue Mountain (GE05) on Nov 5th.

2018 Largest RV-12 Fly-In East of Mississippi

Mark your calendar for 12 May with rain date of 19 May for say 10-1 or until the last plane departs. Like before focused for RV-12 owners and want-a-bees but glad to have any RVs and aviation enthusiasts. Located at 4A9, Isbell Field, Fort Payne Alabama for convenience of Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia folks to fly in.

No formal scheduled agenda, just lunch, visiting and showing and talking airplanes. On 12 May they are having a local EAA chapter meeting there too so let's show them some planes. Southern Barbeque catered in. More information will follow.

VAF Calendar

Hey Scott,
This would make a great posting on the VAF Calendar (in the header bar above). You'll get a lot more publicity there as Doug brings up the calendar links to the VAF news page for events such as this.
Don

Related, sort of: If there's interest in a West-of-the-Mississippi RV-12 fly in, I'm glad to help sponsor something in the Portland area! We have five flying -12's and one under construction at Twin Oaks (7S3) and plenty more around the region -- would be fun!

Note calendar posting for another RV-12 fly-in at Ft Payne for 12 May. PM or email me if coming. So far few interested. Barbeque lunch from Sally's Smokin Butt Barbeque.

Fly In Cancelled

This is cancelled due to lack of interest. 8-RV-12s are down for annual, down for all the recent SB or the folks are out of town. Another time.

I'm now flying to Guntersville (8A1) for breakfast and Cullman (KCMD) for lunch on 12 May.

Well, darn it! I was looking forward to picking the brains of some RV-12 owners in person. Please post here again when you reschedule!

Back