What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building a shed for storing wings/empennage outside

Draker

Well Known Member
Exciting day! Now that I'm finishing up the RV-7 wing kit, I've taken the plunge and ordered the Fuselage kit. Now, I'm facing a big problem: storage. I have enough room in my garage to build but not to store. So far the empennage is stuffed away in a linen closet, but that's not going to work for the finished wings. So, I'm planning to build a small temporary shed in my backyard for storing the wings. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this and can offer tips.

I consider myself a pretty mediocre woodworker. I've built some of the furniture in my house and jigs for the RV, but nothing bigger than a table. That said, I don't see myself paying $$$ for someone to build a glorified doghouse for me. It doesn't have to look pretty or keep me warm--just has to not fall down and keep the elements away from airplane parts. I live in northern California where we get no snow and very little rain, but summers can get hot, so I'll need at least some ventilation. Foundation will likely just be some concrete blocks on gravel. Obviously I'll need to familiarize myself with local building code. Can anyone with carpentry experience offer any tips or point out any pitfalls I'm likely to encounter? Any online resources that I'd find helpful?

Last edited:
I have been in construction all my life but still I chose an 8x20 steel shipping container. It is very sturdy, don't have to worry about my trees crushing it, no permit required, sealed and instant. I paid 1700$ a few years ago delivered. I have my wings, tail, engine and other parts in it now and keep the humidity at 40% with a dehumidifyer( that is crazy low where I live) I have since built a small gable metal roof to keep it cooler. For me it works great.

Check local building/permit codes.

In our town any shed/accessory bulding under 120 sq ft with no electricity or plumbing does not need zoning or permits..

A 15 x 8 shed might work and be easy to build - aka a big box. :)

The shed might be more visually acceptable to spouses and neighbors than a shipping container if that is an issue.

Last edited:
Have you considered hanging the wings from the ceiling in your garage?

That's what I did, in my work space. With a ~9' ceiling height, it still leaves ~8' of clear working height. I used 2" wide ratchet straps under each end of each wing because I had them on hand, but the little 1" versions on each end would be plenty.

If that isn't going to work, most areas have several portable building companies that can drop one off a trailer where ever you want it. Not as strong and secure as a shipping container, but might be a bit more 'neighbor friendly', if that's a problem in your area, and probably a bit easier to move later, if needed.

With a gravel floor I would install something for a vapor barrier as moisture will find it's way into your shed.

Storage building

Our county limit is 120 sq ft. I bought a Tuft Shed. Built on site. Excess is in the shed.
My airplane parts are in the garage.

I am in Livermore so I know the weather but I don't know the building code in town off the top of my head.
My first choice wold be to hang them from the garage ceiling. Make it "earthquake proof".
Have you looked at the shed kits available at the big box hardware stores?
There are lots of shed plans available in the internet that have both materials lists and instructions.

I would make sure anything built has some sort of ventilation to allow air circulation plus a vapor barrier to prevent moisture from coming up through the floor/ground.

Last edited:
Wow, great thanks for all the replies so far!

shipping container

Unfortunately not permitted on residential property in my city. Unless it's one of those "pods" dumpster/shipment things. For those you can only keep them on your property for 30 days max :(.

120 sq ft

Same as where I live, under 120 no permits required but you still have to follow codes like setbacks and distance from other structures, etc. 120 sqft. is more than enough for the wings and some emp parts hanging from the walls. I figure I'd be fine with something 6' x 12' or so.

hang from ceiling

I could do that for the emp parts, but not enough area up there for the wings unfortunately!

kits from big box stores

This would be ideal but so far have not seen one with the right dimensions. My yard is pretty narrow so I'd need something long and narrow. Most of the prepared shed kits I've seen so far are too square--either not deep enough (6' x 6') or too wide (12'x12').

wings

IMG_0465%25281%2529.JPG

Here is what I did for my wings, just prior to roof and sides going on. It is out of luaun with some cedar strips inside to keep the bugs away.

Search for 'portable office' companies in your area. I found one in your general area that sells them as small as 8x12. Most have 'stock' items, but will customize to the customer's request. Tell them you just want a floor, roof, and exterior walls with one walk-in door (no interior finish). It'll come on skids that you could leave directly on the ground, or put on blocks to protect it from water, etc.

You could buy an enclosed trailer. Use it for parts and then use it for fun. Or sell it.
Dave

Wait, don't you have a living room? Free storage.....they only complain for the first year or two!

I just found a local company in our little town that sells, rents and leases all sizes of shipping containers. Standard sizes appear to be 20', 40' and 48'. Prices and rental/lease rates are not provided on the web site. And if this is available in our little town surely Livermore California would have something similar or better.

But renting a shipping container is another option.

Hopefully not too much of a thread necro here, but approximately how much does a finished wing, sans fiberglass, weigh? I too will likely have to hang mine from the ceiling in the garage.

The crates for the wing kit weigh in at ~400 lbs., so maybe 150 each?

Wing weight

Hopefully not too much of a thread necro here, but approximately how much does a finished wing, sans fiberglass, weigh? I too will likely have to hang mine from the ceiling in the garage.

The crates for the wing kit weigh in at ~400 lbs., so maybe 150 each?

I would say about 100 lbs but it's not equal. Heavier inboard.

Last edited:
Height

Is there a height limit?

We live outside city limits. County code applies.
When I asked, they didn't mention a height. Just 120 sqft. The shed is probably 12' high. I decked between the header boards with 2X6 and placed 3/4" plywood on top. The loft area is also storage. My garage is dedicated to the airplane. Empennage parts hang from hooks. Wings in a cradle on wheels. Fuse on a rotisserie.

Back