What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

On what planet can an RV-12is be built for $67K?

JFCRV12

Well Known Member
I'm seriously considering building an RV-12is. I'll need to sell my current aircraft as it gets close to engine time. One thing driving me a bit nuts is that it seems like Vans does a really nice job on price clarity for all their aircraft with one exception: the RV-12/RV-12is.

In every article, I see the following price estimates for a 'flying airplane': $67,430 - $87,910. It's on Vans site too: http://vansaircraft.com/public/kit-prices.htm

I understand that the more options you choose, the pricier it gets. But no matter how you slice it, the barebones kit costs $26,160. Add to that a 912is engine package and you're at $61k before avionics which were $14k minimum for the RV-12 and I'm sure they'll be about the same or more for the RV-12is. So, you're at least $75k for a base plane and that doesn't include crating and shipping. Even if you opt for the 912ULS motor you're at $70k.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the RV-12is is an AMAZING aircraft and a very good value even at the high end of $87-89k fully loaded and all in (tools, self paint job, etc.). But the $67k just seems...odd. If I could build a base RV-12is for $67k, I'd already be building. Sorry for the rant, I can't wait to get started! :)

RV12 Prices

I think you are mis-reading the data. The basic kit price for the ULS is $67k and the iS model is $89k for the BASE kit. This is not a price range. Also note the +
sign after the $89k!! There are a lot of pluses including all the fun you will have building:)

I think you are mis-reading the data. The basic kit price for the ULS is $67k and the iS model is $89k for the BASE kit. This is not a price range. Also note the +
sign after the $89k!! There are a lot of pluses including all the fun you will have building:)

Correct that I misread it as a range, but even base ULS will come in at $71k+ assuming the Avionics pack so the same prices as the gen 1 RV-12 at $14.8K....26.1K+14.8K+30.2K = $71.1K

I would agree though, I'll be adding a lot of +'s as I won't be able to help myself. I like shiny! :)

Back