What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket canopy

Capt

Well Known Member
Not too sure if many own Rockets or follow these pages but if anyone can chime in that would be great.
I've got an opportunity to become 'Rocketized' but the canopy is the traditional what I would call blunt nose, I prefer the streamlined front. Question is can the fwd part of the streamlined canopy be retrofitted to the ' blunt' type?
Tnxs Rocketeers��

Need more info

If the blunt type is a slider, the change too the Speed Slope is easy.

That?s my story, and I?m stickin? to it!

After a birdstrike in the RV-8, I ditched the traditional blown bubble windscreen in favor of a flat wrap. That was a slider, however. I have a thread showing the process here on VAF. It was relatively easy.

My Rocket is a traditional one piece blown canopy with the hinge on the side, and I intend to replace it with a flat wrap windscreen as well. I much prefer the side hinge however, so I'm keeping that. We will have to see how much work that ends up being. I hope its "easy".

Thanks for the replies guys, wasn't to sure how active the Rocket thread/s where. The one I've had a test fly of (that's another story!) has the tip over style canopy & am a big fan of a slider type, gotta look cool in a Rocket Ship:)
I've been seeking an 8 for ages but came across this Rocket by accident, now I have bee spoiled although it's not very practicable for what I really want, two RV's perhaps? Now I wonder if there is any drugs that can help with such an affliction?:D

Rocket Canopy

My two cents worth. I have the standard tip over canopy on my Rocket II and I prefer it to a slider, only because it is so much easier to get in and out of it. No other reason than that.

Are you looking at Red Rider? If it is, I know the guy who built that one here in the US and sold it to a guy downunder, and I think it has be sold one or two other times since. I was at the air show in Avialon and saw a flyer with an ad in it showing it for sale, but that was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Brian

Last edited:
canopy

I agree the "standard" Rocket canopy has a bit of a blunt nose. I also think the slope flat wrap looks a little goofy. I had Becky blow a special canopy with an extended front so it is still curved but not blunt. I am cutting it so it will have a windscreen and structural hoop; but instead of a slider it is a tip-over. To my way of thinking I'm making the best of all worlds. But that's just my opinion.

Gee Larry you are adventurous there:):):) Be good to see some pix when all done. Thanks for yr input:)

Last edited:
My two cents worth. I have the standard tip over canopy on my Rocket II and I prefer it to a slider, only because it is so much easier to get in and out of it. No other reason than that.

Are you looking at Red Rider? If it is, I know the guy who built that one here in the US and sold it to a guy downunder, and I think it has be sold one or two other times since. I was at the air show in Avialon and saw a flyer with an ad in it showing it for sale, but that was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Brian

Hi Brian. Am not too sure of it's history, I flew it then walked away from it as I would have fallen for it had I stayed much longer...BUT having said that am still dreaming of it!:):) It's a 2001 build, deep red colour with very fine gold pin stripping, 2 x glass panels, oddly enough am not a fan of glass, old 6 pack guy here:) It has manual trim & manual flaps, manual flaps I found hard to operate but I know that can be changed. Man what a blast that was to drive!:)

Drugs? Just lots of 100LL.

...and there is no cure

Michael drugs would be cheaper down under trust me ! Go outback well away from the rat race that is Australian cities & expect to pay $US11-12 USGal as this country has the mentality to rip off aviators at every opportunity!
I kinda know there is no cure but they are coming up with all sorts of cures these days:D

Red Rider

Hi Brian. Am not too sure of it's history, I flew it then walked away from it as I would have fallen for it had I stayed much longer...BUT having said that am still dreaming of it!:):) It's a 2001 build, deep red colour with very fine gold pin stripping, 2 x glass panels, oddly enough am not a fan of glass, old 6 pack guy here:) It has manual trim & manual flaps, manual flaps I found hard to operate but I know that can be changed. Man what a blast that was to drive!:)

That sounds like the one I was referring to. He had Red Rider painted on it somewhere. Built by a friend of mine, and sold to someone downunder within two years of building it. When he built it, it was a very basic VFR panel, so whoever bought it after that, added the glass.

Where are you in OZ? My wife is from Melbourne and I have spent a lot of time there.

PM me your email, and I will send you a pic of mine Rocket.

Brian

Last edited:
That sounds like the one I was referring to. He had Red Rider painted on it somewhere. Built by a friend of mine, and sold to someone downunder within two years of building it. When he built it, it was a very basic VFR panel, so whoever bought it after that, added the glass.

Where are you in OZ? My wife is from Melbourne and I have spent a lot of time there.

PM me your email, and I will send you a pic of mine Rocket.

Brian

Hi Brian, that's the one I'll send you a private message
Cheers

Michael drugs would be cheaper down under trust me ! Go outback well away from the rat race that is Australian cities & expect to pay $US11-12 USGal as this country has the mentality to rip off aviators at every opportunity!
I kinda know there is no cure but they are coming up with all sorts of cures these days:D

I've found that Rockets will equal the fuel burn of a typical RV if you want to fly that slow.

...who am I kidding- nobody has that kind of self control!

Too funny there Michael, no one has that much control as you say:)

I'm no expert on RV's, flown a few but not owned one, (trying like **** though to do so!) yet. but having said that I know an RV7 (which I have flown) 190 gee gee's CS prop & super clean/straight does 175ktas up high @ 34LPH, not too sure what 260 gee gee's will do TAS wise in a rocket for the same FF. Anyone? Be interesting to know.

Last edited:
My 200 HP RV-8 does 165 KTAS @ 8.5 GPH. Thats a number used for flight planning, but generally has been dead on for this airplane. Several times I've had the occasion to fly the Rocket in no particular hurry and when leaned to 8.5 GPH, it trues out at 165.

That said, my -8 will not do the 205 KTAS cruise my Rocket delivers at ANY fuel flow.

Owning a Rocket is like having two airplanes.

Thanks Michael, I kinda figured as much. 165 kts is not to be sneezed at in any airframe for those FF numbers.
Most of my private flying has just been for fun so outright speed hasn't been an issue (owning a 7ECA sees to that but is cheap!) but these days am looking at covering some miles so a good cruise speed for around $80 an hr in fuel is what I am looking for, RV's have that requirement pretty much all sawn up:)

Thanks for the numbers:)

Back