What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side Steps

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
What are you guys doing to the side steps as far as finishing? Just paint? I was wondering if any more durable solutions were out there, it's some kind of treated alloy but doesn't appear to be aluminum, perhaps steel (unsure). Mine has a factory gray finish of some kind but starting to show tiny rust spots.

They are steel with a fine rust coating from factory. I removed the rust, epoxy primed and then painted. I will put an no slip piece of black stickie on the foot pad.

They are steel with a fine rust coating from factory. I removed the rust, epoxy primed and then painted. I will put an no slip piece of black stickie on the foot pad.

+1 and don't forget to prime the inside. I primed mine as part of the very first batch of priming of parts.

Acid Nickel Zinc

I am guessing that the steps are 4130 Chrome Molly steel.

I had mine plated with Nickel Zinc; first acid bathed and then dipped in the NZ.

Had to open up the drain hole to around 5/32" as the steps are conveyed through the baths and the solutions need to drain out of the step tube in less than 20 seconds - 5/32" drains them in about 9 seconds.

Being fully immersed, they get coated inside and out. Lots of protection.

You can then powder coat or paint - I will paint and apply an adhesive grip strip on step.

Last edited:
You can then powder coat or paint - I will paint and apply an adhesive grip strip on step.

I have that adhesive grip strip in the cockpit and it has lasted almost 8 years now.

On my wings I have ?painted grip/anti slip? and it also has lasted almost 8 years and still going strong.

Back