What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight! and a question

Kupde

Patron
First Flight

Saturday before the big Florida storm hit I was able to do a first flight. Everything went well with no big surprises. One question: my pitch trim works fine on the ground but in flight I found that at cruise that it wouldn?t move past neutral to allow me to trim it out completely. For some reason it showed power going to the trim as I pushed the switch but it wouldn?t move past neutral. Tried it again on the ground and it worked fine. I have a VPX system and I?ve input the positions with plenty of space on each end of travel so not sure hat it is? Any suggestions welcome.

Kevin

Congrats on your first flight!

The VPX might be slowing down your trim motor too much when your airspeed gets higher. I don't have a VPX, but I built a similar speed sensitive trim controller, and when you get it too slow it doesn't have enough power to overcome flight loads on the trim tabs and the trim motor will stall. Speed it back up a bit and it should be fine.

It might be that the stops are configured in the VP-X different than the PFD (I?m assuming you have an EFIS).

The VPX software has a trim configuration tool. I recommend connecting a laptop to the VP-X and cycling the trim to see what the VP-X thinks is going on. It?s likely just a setting. If you?re using a G3X, there are additional settings for trim in the configuration tool there as well. I imagine Dynon and other AP?s have the same.

Thanks for inputs. I think it?s like Lenny said the speed power reduction at higher speeds, so I?ll set to a higher limit and see what happens...

Kevin

Dynon?

If u have Dynon Skyview with VPX u need to go thru the calibration procedure. Both need to know which one is in charge. Had same issue with my FLAPS. Made for exciting first flight.

Back