What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill bits needed for the -14

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Getting the tools together for my QB -14 kit which will arrive soon. I'm comparing the tool list on pages 03-02 through 03-04 of the plans with the list of Van's website (http://vansaircraft.com/public/tools.htm). Quite a disparity there in the drill bits required. The website list seems quite limited in comparison and would seem to be insufficient (really, only five sizes?!).

Sizes that come to mind. #40, #30, #33 X 6" , #19,#20, #12, #27, 1/4" 3/16" , 5/16" and 3/8".

Easy

I would just buy a number and fractional drill set to start. Then buy extras of the 5 sizes that are listed. But buy good quality sets.
You are going to need some smaller sizes as a guide hole when drilling out rivets and for tapping, etc

Last edited:
Hi Ray,

This is just a FWIW, but I limped along for decades with a very small set of bits, occasionally buying special purpose bits needed for various projects. I've always done my own auto, home, electronics, etc maintenance, and I've wasted a lot of time that way.

Not long after I started my -7, I discovered that Harbor Freight offers this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-titanium-nitride-coated-m2-high-speed-steel-drill-bit-set-61543.html

I've had that set for over a decade, and they stood up well drilling aluminum, until I started using the bits on really tough stuff like stainless and hardened steel, and for other 'odd jobs' around the house & hangar/shop.

Several years ago, I bought this set:
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-cobalt-drill-bit-set-61886.html

I haven't used them a lot, but they do seem like pretty decent bits for the money.

I mention them because, especially with the less expensive set, you'll have any size you're likely to need for not much more money than buying ones & twos of specific bits.

For the highly repetitive jobs (#30 & #40, for instance), it's worthwhile to get a handful of quality bits from a reputable supplier, of course.

The inexpensive sets of 'step bits' from HF also do a decent job in aluminum sheet, and a tolerable job for those rare cases where you need a big hole in stainless (firewall, for instance).

Charlie

For the highly repetitive jobs (#30 & #40, for instance), it's worthwhile to get a handful of quality bits from a reputable supplier, of course.

I'm putting together a McMaster-Carr order and have a dozen of each in the shopping cart. May add a couple each of the sizes that others have mentioned. The second HF fractional & numbered set is a temptation as a good backup for other sizes, especially if I can use one of their coupons.

What's a good source for the 12" bits? McMaster has 12" fractional sizes but not numbered that I can find. Cleaveland doesn't show an image of their 12" bits. I'd prefer a long shank with a short drilling depth. Just seems to me that they would hold up better.

Reamers

I have the HF set. It works fine but the more heavily used bits have been replaced with higher quality bits. However, in my case, every hole is final drilled with a reamer. I highly recommend buying guide a reamer of the more commonly used sizes. #40, #30, #19, #12, 3/16", 1/4" and the oddball, .311".

Maybe I drill out more rivets than most, but I also like a #43 for drilling AN3 rivets and #33 for drilling out AN4 rivets. (I drill the heads with #40/#30, snap them off with a punch, then drill the rivet shaft with #43/#33).

There are also call outs in the plans several others - #17 and #34 come to mind. The Harbor Freight set filled the need.

Brown tools

I'm putting together a McMaster-Carr order and have a dozen of each in the shopping cart. May add a couple each of the sizes that others have mentioned. The second HF fractional & numbered set is a temptation as a good backup for other sizes, especially if I can use one of their coupons.

What's a good source for the 12" bits? McMaster has 12" fractional sizes but not numbered that I can find. Cleaveland doesn't show an image of their 12" bits. I'd prefer a long shank with a short drilling depth. Just seems to me that they would hold up better.

Brown Tools ( A VAF advertiser) has all the different bits you would ever want. Try them.

Lots of good information here, guys. Thanks a bunch! Larry, thanks for the reamer idea. I've seen that mentioned before (perhaps by you). I'll look into it.

X2 on the reamers

I used #30 and #40 reamers extensively for final drilling. They leave nice round, burr-free (almost) holes. I also got a .375 piloted reamer in addition to the .311 but I'm away from home and I can't remember where it was used. I didn't see plexi-bits mentioned in this thread. You need 30, 40, and a 27 size at least. See section 38 for where you'll need them. Lots of plexiglass threads that cover drilling, countersinking and deburring in the forums. Also, fiberglass eats drill bits so plan for that also.

Piloted reamer

James,

You mention the .375 and .311 reamers, which are on the list, but that you have a piloted reamer. Do you recall where you found that and whether the pilot helped or was needed?

Reamers

Ray,

Just got home a took a look. My .375 is completely straight flute. No pilot..so I lied about that. :( I believe I got it from Brown Tools but it could have been Cleveland since I buy from both. The .311 I got from a neighbor and it does have a stepped tip - probably about a 1/4 inch that transitions to the .311. I don't know the source. Sorry if my previous comment was misleading, and no I don't think a piloted reamer is necessarily superior. The un-piloted .375 worked great on the firewall. No problem getting it to center on the hole. Hope this helps.

Get some 6 and 12" Numbers 30 and 40 drill bits, in addition to a complete set of numbered bits. Buy some reamers of the appropriate size, an angle bit adaptor for your drill, and some other things.

Not to worry, you will be buying a new tool every week or two until you are finished with your project.

Remember, if you get to a point where you don't have the right tool for the job, grab a beer, and head to the computer and order the correct tool. If you don't, you will bugger up the part you are working on, order the tool and a replacement part and wait for them to arrive and then spend a few hours remaking / fitting the part you buggered up.

Thanks, guys. My order of bits and reamers from McMaster-Carr arrives tomorrow. It's not totally complete but gets me close to all I should need when I add the Harbor Freight set.

Back