What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Expressions of sympathy not allowed?

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Yesterday Joe Dallas posted a simple expression of sympathy. The thread was immediately closed down by a moderator. And yet, Rule 2 states ".......... Offer condolences to the family and friends, of course!.........."

What gives?

Thanks John

I think it is sad that the RV community has to get the information of a lost
RV aircraft from other sites

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/08/vans-rv-12-fatal-accident-occurred.html

Please don't remove this link

Thanks

Joe Dallas

[ed. The aircraft accident was reported here very early on. What always saddens me is that some of the comments tangent so quickly from offers of condolence to 'what the pilot did wrong'. Please feel free to offer notes of condolence and prayer, but PLEASE hold the speculation out until we have actual facts. I'm usually the one who gets the emails from grieving members of the family, and the inaccurate speculation is very painful to them. v/r,dr]

Yesterday Joe Dallas posted a simple expression of sympathy. The thread was immediately closed down by a moderator. And yet, Rule 2 states ".......... Offer condolences to the family and friends, of course!.........."

What gives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am not sure, I posted video links from the news and info that I had on the RV-12 Incident. In no way was I trying to speculate what happened. However: my post was taken down. I will say again my heart goes out to the family of the pilot. In this world today people get offended way to easy. Just remember if I offend you that does not make you right!!!!!

Please do offer condolences.

Please do offer words of prayer and condolence to those affected. When I have funeral information I will post it (if that is what the family wants).

v/r,
dr

What gives?

I was the mod that closed Joe's thread and included a link to the thread Doug started. It was closed in an effort to consolidate the multiple threads on this accident into one thread.

Our thoughts are certainly with the families dealing with a terrible loss.

Sam
Thanks for your explanation

I was just trying to add the link to let the people like me who only look at the RV-12 Page.

A Sad Day My prayers for him and his family

Joe Dallas

I was the mod that closed Joe's thread and included a link to the thread Doug started. It was closed in an effort to consolidate the multiple threads on this accident into one thread.

Our thoughts are certainly with the families dealing with a terrible loss.

No, you're missing Doug's point.
Please do inform the VAF of such events, and do extend sympathy.

But when posters introduce elements of deliberation, it's got to get locked down for the family's sake. Doug's insisting that we not go there, and he's right. Rule #2 is non-negotiable.

As a mod, I've got to help him police deliberative discussion without a formal final mishap report. However, I'll try hard to only remove those forbidden deliberative portions of the post while keeping the informative and sympathetic entries. They definitely belong in VAF.

Have respect for the family when you make a Post

Doug's Point ?

When you watch the news and they tell you it was a Cessna Skycatcher and you know for sure it is a RV12 ( that is not speculation )

In my View the NTSB is not a timely way to report the news.

And I don't think anyone should make any comments on what the pilot should or should not have done. ( this is what the NTSB will report on )

Rule 2
Threads SPECULATING about the causes of a crash/incident before the Probable Cause document is ussued are not allowed here.
(this is a copy from the website)

I believe the ( Causes of a crash ) are the key words, and I agree with this.

I also believe that the amount of information on this website about our loss of a fellow RV Pilot is less then he deserves.
My view.

I know as a Moderator it is difficult to separate fact from fiction.

I also think it is important to get the known information out as soon as possible to stop speculation.

This is Doug's website and he is the interrupter of the rules ( maybe they are in need of a review ) For spelling at least.

Doug this is with total respect and I am just trying to make a great site a little better.

Have respect for the family when you make a Post, I think this will help the Moderator.

My View
Joe Dallas

No, you're missing Doug's point.
Please do inform the VAF of such events, and do extend sympathy.

But when posters introduce elements of deliberation, it's got to get locked down for the family's sake. Doug's insisting that we not go there, and he's right. Rule #2 is non-negotiable.

As a mod, I've got to help him police deliberative discussion without a formal final mishap report. However, I'll try hard to only remove those forbidden deliberative portions of the post while keeping the informative and sympathetic entries. They definitely belong in VAF.

Last edited:
Back