What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav antenna

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Howdy to again,
Just looking for some input on what the RV10 guys are using for their nav antenna. Thinking on mounting it on the bottom of the tail cone..
Thanks again

Does the nav/strobe lights, landing lights effect the operation of the antenna?

Standard (incandescent) nav lights and Whelan strobes - no effect.
HID landing light - I can hear a slight increase in background static during the first 3 seconds after the lights are turned on. After that back to normal.

Thanks all

Thanks all,
By the way, I'm using DELTA POP for com, transponder, ads-b. Wishing he made a nav antenna. Seems like everybody likes them and they are priced well.

Moony prompted

Don't know about the 10 at the top of the VS. On the 8 we put a RAMI under the fiberglass cap on top of the VS and faced the elements forward, like on an old Moony. Works very good, is up out of the way and looks cool up there. We really don't see that much drag from it and with the NAV/COM, Antenna, and marker beacon being TSO'ed we have the back up of a VOR/ILS that meats the standard if needed. Just what we did, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I've always used the cat whiskers underneath the tail cone. Am able to pick up VOR's 90 miles away, and there is great signal strength on ILS for either left or right intercepts.
And once last year in the middle of nowhere I was able to pick up my IFR clearance on the VOR frequency with FSS while airborne. Was nice and clear and glad I used the cat whiskers.

I'm sure it's slowed me down 10 knots, though. :) No wait, that's the 3-bladed prop. :)

Vic

In my personal experience, the Archer wingtip antenna seems to work just fine as a VOR antenna and for the most part a Localizer antenna. The issue I experienced was in certain situations when turning on to the localizer, the GS would drop out due to blockage from the wing, which in essence creates a directional antenna. I have one in each wing tip, and both would exhibit this issue. While this antenna seems to be matched well for the vor and localizer frequencies, roughly 110 MHz, the glide slope pairing frequencies are not so well matched. The glide slope frequencies are in the 332 MHz range. I installed a cat wisker on the belly in the rear. It works just fine sharing it as the localizer/glide slope antenna.

I still use one of the Archer antennas with my number two radio.

When installing the archer antenna one has to religiously follow the installation instructions with regard to wire routing and placement. If you want to get good performance.

In my personal experience, the Archer wingtip antenna seems to work just fine as a VOR antenna and for the most part a Localizer antenna. The issue I experienced was in certain situations when turning on to the localizer, the GS would drop out due to blockage from the wing, which in essence creates a directional antenna. .

Might not be "wing blockage". A 3/2 wavelength dipole (which is what the Archer is at GS frequencies, although it is not a simple, straight dipole) has a very strong null (not zero, but many dB down) at about 20 degrees off the nose. I have no idea what the pattern for a real bent, folded Archer looks like.

I have mounted cat whiskers at the top of my vertical stabilizer, under the rudder counter weight overhang, with them facing aft. Wasn't had to do and keeps the antenna elements up out of the way. If you would like a few pictures, send me your email address by private message and I'll send you some.

+1 for cat whiskers on top of VS

I have mounted cat whiskers at the top of my vertical stabilizer, under the rudder counter weight overhang, with them facing aft. Wasn't had to do and keeps the antenna elements up out of the way. If you would like a few pictures, send me your email address by private message and I'll send you some.

I have Bob Archer and it does not have the range of a cat whisker. If I were building again, I would put the cat whisker on top of the VS. Strasnuts on this forum has that on his RV-10 and it looks great and is completely out of the way from people (at Oshkosh) breaking off your antenna.

Just cut two slots in the top of the VS and it fits perfect up there.

IMG_3169-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Whiskers

As Scott said above, I have the cat whiskers on vertical. I also have the bob archer in the wingtip. The whiskers work almost double the distance of the bob archer when I compared them on the same VOR frequency.

I've researched a little but what is the preferred model and where is a good place to purchase the cat whiskers? Thanks

Nick

Note prices

I haven't purchased mine yet but I have a wish list that I regularly keep prices updated. I was very surprised to see the price of the Comant jump this past year. Unless I fat fingered it, the price jumped almost a hundred dollars.

Sure wish Delta Pop had an equivalent...

I installed the RAMI AV-520 into the top of my RV-10 and it fit well. Bought it from Aircraft Spruce. Just checked and their price is $280 including the whip elements.

Very interested in how the cat whiskers get mounted on a completed Vertcal Stab, and also how it is installed inside the tail.

I installed the RAMI AV-520 into the top of my RV-10 and it fit well. Bought it from Aircraft Spruce. Just checked and their price is $280 including the whip elements.

I know I'm tilting at windmills, but I offer this is a waste of money. My wingtip antenna cost me perhaps $0.50 to make and picks up VORs at 100nm+ and ILS approaches way early - with nothing hanging out in the breeze.

Carl

Difference between CI-158 and CI-158-2

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these 2 products? They seem identical.

Also is the RAMI AV-520 or 525 similar to the above models?

I am planning to mount this on the top of my RV-10 VS and covering it with the fiberglass tip (removable). I already have the VS closed up so any advice would be welcome. My missions will be IFR capable.

Thank you in advance.

Back