What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Software for Creating Wiring Diagrams on Macintosh

swaltner

I've read through the forums looking at posts on software for creating wiring diagrams and found several suggestions for software that runs on Windows. It looks like many have gone with the ExpresSCH software package.

Since I don't have a computer that runs Windows, I'd rather find a package that runs under OS X. I can run the Windows software if necessary, it's just a hassle to do it, so I was looking for alternatives.

Suggestions anyone?

Steve

Try DesignWorks Lite from Capilano Computing. It costs $39, but there is a free demo that will work for 30 days so you can try it out. Be sure to work your way through the tutorial, as some aspects aren't obvious.

I didn't discover DesignWorks Lite until after I had completed my schematics using AppleWorks. AppleWorks did the job, but DesignWorks Lite would have been much easier, as once you connect items together with wires, you can drag the items around on the page and the wires stay connected to each item. That would save a lot of time when you need to add one more part, and find that you must reorganize your schematic to make room for it.

Omni Graffle

Also give Omni Graffle a try... I've used it for some light schematic stuff, but it looks capable of more. It's no CAD (or probably even DesignWorks Lite) but it does the trick. Don't be scared away by it's main focus of flow charting... it has a wiring schematic side built in.

Apple Mac electrical diagram software

I have recently discovered a great program (I think it must be new) that allows drawing your personal electrical diagram using an Apple Mac OSX. EazyDraw

You have a choice of the FREE version which limits the number of objects placed.... but you can get a feel for the program....or

$20 - 9 month version - Full version use for 9 months. This version allows most builders to get the job done relatively quickly and not pay for yet another piece of software they are going to use once.

The full version is $95.

I opted for the 9 month version and also picked up the additional library package for a total of $30. The library packages include all sorts of technical and drawing libraries. You can check them out on the EazyDraw homepage.

EazyDraw is a very powerful program but for guys like me that want something simple and quick it also accommodates us.

Check it out at: http://www.eazydraw.com/index.htm

For those who are interested, I am modeling the Z-11 generic light aircraft diagram from AeroElectric and making my changes as necessary. I started using just a pencil and paper but any changes resulted in "eraser dust" and a crappy looking diagram. Changes in the EazyDraw diagram are simple and quick and the program doesn't require you to be a CAD engineer to figure out.

Output can be any number of options including pdf. You can check out my "work in progress" at the following link: http://files.me.com/glpalinkas/dr3box

It will download a pdf of what I have done so far (in just a few hours).

If anyone is interested in the complete EazyDraw file (and you are buying the application) and are basing their RV build on AeroElectric Z-11 I can supply the file to them, so they don't have to reinvent the wheel. Just drop me a pm.

Back