What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hydro pneumatic rivet squeezer

Eztroller

Well Known Member
Hi there! Im new here....well truth be told i have been reading about these planes for years.

I have gotten the buy off from the boss to start a slow build rv14. In my prep for tools, i ran across a utube video from 2010 about a new tool called a hydro pneumatic rivet squeezer. Then the comments stopped ( searching here...) . Are these things available for purchase?

Excited to get going!

Brian

Last edited:
Numatx squeezer is awesome. Nice thing is that I had a frame built that it can attach to, so I can use it to dimple as well.

When I purchased mine through Cleaveland Tools, you could also get a dimpling head which worked very well...

Unfortunately I no longer see it advertised...

Achieving proper rivet compression?

I requested some information on the Numatix 3050 and was sent pricing, a brochure, and the operation manual. The manual indicated that it wasn't necessary to set the rivet set depth so it sounds like you squeeze it until it looks right. Not sure about that. Can someone clarify?

Ray,

I responded to your post to prevent mis-information about my product being generated on this forum. Others don't know the answer as well as I do, as they didn't design the unit, patent the unit, sell to Boeing, Delta, and so forth. This should not be construed as a plug for my product, simply a direction to find the answer.

Please read the following page (link):

http://www.numatx-tools.com/detailed-info_5.html

In particular, midway down the page: WHY IS CONSTANT FORCE IMPORTANT?

If anyone has other specific questions, such as the cost, those questions can be directed to Numatx.

I recently purchased one of these units and absolutely love it. It is incredibly lightweight and easy to use. I picked up my old pneumatic squeezer today just to try it and it pained me (literally).

But in all seriousness.....this tool is probably one of the best innovations in building I have seen. I really would love it if Mark would design a mini alligator for this setup also as that would just complement it perfectly.

It is a slightly different mindset on how to utilize it. But, once you get your pressures dialed in, there are no rivet set adjustments required. I went overboard and rigged up two regulators with a switching valve between them. One is for 3/32" rivets and one is for 1/8" rivets. All I have to do is flip a switch depending on which size rivet I want to do. This is definitely not a requirement, but I sometimes like to make things more complicated than they need to be. Plus it looks really cool. Mark can give you more information on the best way to set up the unit, but it is really simple, and it is pretty darn awesome. It is also amazing the areas that you can get into and not feel fatigued by holding a big bulky rivet squeezer.

Numatx also used to produce a rivet puller which I have had the opportunity to try out. I really wish that they would start producing those again also because it is so much lighter and more comfortable to use than the large units.

Until you have tried one of these, you don't know what you are missing.

Can you tell that I am a very happy customer?

Steve

I think this is exclusively a foot operated squeezer. That can be good when you need good hand control of the surfaces to be riveted, but a potential nightmare if you are trying to squeeze that hard-to-get-at rivet in the fuselage while contorting your body in a near impossible direction. It would be nice to have an actuation button option on the squeezer itself.

Diamond,

Yes, there A FEW times when control at the handle would come in handy.

If I were to run into this "potential nightmare", I would simply say, "Hey (helper name here), put down your beer, and when I say to, push down on this pedal. But not until I say to do so". And you (the production foreman) being in firm control of the operation, make darn sure you are ready to squeeze the rivet when you say "press the pedal now".

I do have a remote control option that I am not currently offering. Why not? It wont permit feathering, costs a little more, and there does not seem be a large demand for it, for the occasional need you refer to.

I think this is exclusively a foot operated squeezer. That can be good when you need good hand control of the surfaces to be riveted, but a potential nightmare if you are trying to squeeze that hard-to-get-at rivet in the fuselage while contorting your body in a near impossible direction. It would be nice to have an actuation button option on the squeezer itself.

I suppose that this is one of those situations that could occur but doesn't happen that often. The solution would be to have a "helper" as Mark stated who can hit the foot pedal for you. Otherwise, you could always bring the foot pedal in with you and actuate it with your hand if you really wanted to. The unit is light enough to easily handle it with one hand...unlike a traditional squeezer that you have to hold with two.

Another nightmare situation might be laying in the fuselage with a traditional hydraulic squeezer and suffer from muscle fatigue due to the weight...drop it on your head and knock you out! ;) Hahaha....

In all seriousness though....I have both a traditional unit and this one. If I had to get rid of one of them.....there would be no debate. The Numatx would stay and the other one would go away.

I don't have a setup like this yet...but the other really cool thing will be if I ever decide to attach it to the c yoke for dimpling. It turns it into a one person operation for large skins because both hands are free to maneuver the skins.

I recently purchased one of these units and absolutely love it. It is incredibly lightweight and easy to use. I picked up my old pneumatic squeezer today just to try it and it pained me (literally).
Can you tell us which model you bought and what it cost?

Just to give you an idea, in December 2010 the prices and part numbers I ordered from Cleaveland Tools was as follows. I already had a couple of additional yokes.

So the basic unit was $750, to which I added a swivel fitting, a couple of quick connects and the DRDT power head for dimpling.

Yes the total $ was more than the average air squeezer, but the ease of use, lighter weight, and the ability to use 2 hands for riveting and dimpling was more than worth it. I think it retains good resale value, but I will not part with it until I'm too old to squeeze another rivet!

The other consideration was arthritis in my hands which did not bother me using the unit.

The equipment has evolved slightly since I got mine, and no doubt prices have as well, so I suggest contacting Numatex directly for the current information...

Hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITEM# DESCRIPTION QTY TOTAL
SHPI3000 Hydro-Pneumatic 3000lbf Pressure Intens1.00 $405.00
Ship Via:
SHPS3060 Hydro-Pneumatic 3000lbf Standard C Head1.00 $345.00
Ship Via:
SHPS100 Hydro-Pneumatic Swivel Fitting 1.00 $90.00
Ship Via:
SHPQF200 Hydro-Pneumatic Quick Disconnect 1.00 $48.00
Ship Via:
SHPQM200 Hydro-Pneumatic Quick Disconnect 2.00 $84.00
Ship Via:
SHPD3400 Hydro-Pneumatic DRDT Power Head 1.00 $330.00
Ship Via:

SUB TOTAL: $1,302.00

Can you tell us which model you bought and what it cost?

Here is the link. It's the 3050 model and I have a dual swivel hydraulic fitting on it. http://numatx-tools.com/new_3000_lbf_squeezer_10.html

I believe the cost on it for the combo is right around $800.

As a comparison, here is what I found on a quick lookup for pricing on a traditional unit.

http://www.browntool.com/Listview/tabid/344/CategoryID/48/Level/a/ProductID/164/Default.aspx

Similar pricing, but the Numatx is a much more compact design. Like I said, I have both traditional squeezers and the Numatx, and I love the compact and lightweight design.

Steve

I love this squeezer. Mark is great with customer service. Had a foot pedal go bad and he replaced it no charge. Also, the new shear pins that hold the yokes in place are great and allow quick change out of yokes.

Mark also has a great set of plans to make a c-frame that the Numatx can attach to so that you can use it to dimple. I think that it takes about $250 in metal, including having the part made which is required to attach the Numatx to the c-frame. I had my brother-in-law weld it for me. Also, I used larger square tube metal for the c-frame than called for in the plans, which increased the price.

Above are pictures of the Numatx squeezer, the c-frame i had built, and the table.

You will notice the the c-frame sticks out from the table when not in use. I have drop leafs that I can raise up when dimpling. I put carpet down to minimize scratching the sheets when dimpling.

I was a hack and could not figure out how to line up the bottom plate for the dimple die with the top one. I tried to bolt in place but that failed (you can see the holes I drilled in the plate). Instead I used two part epoxy. I put the dies in place, then used the Numatx to push the dies together. and push the lower plate into place. I think that I used a couple of clamps to make sure the lower plate stayed in place while the epoxy cure. I think that the holes that I drilled in the attempt to bolt are still useful. The epoxy goes up into them and may make it hold in place better (I might also be full of sh!t on this one).

As pictured the shear pins are held in place with a clip. Mark now has a different design that used a spring to hold in place. If i take a picture I will post.

Mark also sells a swivel joint that connects to the bottom of the squeezer, which is not pictured. I installed later.

Ken---just imagine doing a skin panel and using a lever operated mechanism on the DRDT-2, or (sorry Bob) an mallet version Avery frame.
The Numatx head on the DRDT is fabulous and 1 person can do it.

Agreed. I took a building class and used the mallet version--there was no way I was going to do that method on my entire plane. This is way better.

We plan to have one of the Numatx units at SnF and Osh. Drop by our booth at SnF or our tent (near Van's) at Osh. We don't plan to bring units to sell, but will be taking orders and drop shipping them from Numatx.

Tip: We mounted the foot pedal, regulator, hoses, pressure intensifier, etc. on a small square of plywood. This makes it MUCH easier to move the items around. Of course, the squeezer itself isn't mounted there... it's usually in my hand.

I received my 3050 numatx squeezer a few days ago. Excellent worksmanship. Mark is extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with. Looking forward to using this tool during the build. First and biggest observation is this thing is well built and light.

Just to give you an idea, in December 2010 the prices and part numbers I ordered from Cleaveland Tools was as follows. I already had a couple of additional yokes.

So the basic unit was $750, to which I added a swivel fitting, a couple of quick connects and the DRDT power head for dimpling.

Yes the total $ was more than the average air squeezer, but the ease of use, lighter weight, and the ability to use 2 hands for riveting and dimpling was more than worth it. I think it retains good resale value, but I will not part with it until I'm too old to squeeze another rivet!

The other consideration was arthritis in my hands which did not bother me using the unit.

The equipment has evolved slightly since I got mine, and no doubt prices have as well, so I suggest contacting Numatex directly for the current information...

Hope this helps...

ITEM# DESCRIPTION QTY TOTAL
SHPI3000 Hydro-Pneumatic 3000lbf Pressure Intens1.00 $405.00
Ship Via:
SHPS3060 Hydro-Pneumatic 3000lbf Standard C Head1.00 $345.00
Ship Via:
SHPS100 Hydro-Pneumatic Swivel Fitting 1.00 $90.00
Ship Via:
SHPQF200 Hydro-Pneumatic Quick Disconnect 1.00 $48.00
Ship Via:
SHPQM200 Hydro-Pneumatic Quick Disconnect 2.00 $84.00
Ship Via:
SHPD3400 Hydro-Pneumatic DRDT Power Head 1.00 $330.00
Ship Via:

SUB TOTAL: $1,302.00

unfortunately, it doesn't look like Cleaveland tool is still selling any of the Numatx stuff? Has anyone heard why?

I am really seriously thinking about getting the DRDT-2 head and the C head.

I started this thread slightly over a year ago, and there has been an obvious interest. I have been using the NUMATX hydro pneumatic squeezer to complete the vertical stabilizer, rudder, and finishing up the horizontal stabilizer (I know my progress is slow, but that is another thread). I just wanted to say I am very pleased with this product and am glad I took everyone's advice. I am new at this airplane building hobby, and believe in purchasing the best tool/s I can afford in hopes of making the safest airplane I will enjoy in retirement. Two thumbs up

Numatx website appears down. What is good contact information for them?
KJP

Last edited:
Numatx - Contact Information

The Numatx line of rivet squeezers was purchased by Hy-Tech Machine Inc., located in Pittsburg PA. Hy-Tech also makes the CP pneumatic squeezers for Chicago Pneumatic (CP214, CP351...).

A 3K force system is advertised in the Sport Aviation May issue, page 121.

The website is in transition, and was briefly taken down for maintenance. Hy-Tech can be contacted at:

1-800-245-1148

Hy-Tech Machine, Inc.
25 Leonburg Road
Mashuda Industrial Park
Cranberry Township, PA 16066
(724) 776-6800

The Numatx line of rivet squeezers was purchased by Hy-Tech Machine Inc., located in Pittsburg PA. Hy-Tech also makes the CP pneumatic squeezers for Chicago Pneumatic (CP214, CP351...).

A 3K force system is advertised in the Sport Aviation May issue, page 121.

The website is in transition, and was briefly taken down for maintenance. Hy-Tech can be contacted at:

1-800-245-1148

Hy-Tech Machine, Inc.
25 Leonburg Road
Mashuda Industrial Park
Cranberry Township, PA 16066
(724) 776-6800

I dont see the C-frame tool anywhere on the website. I dont have the tools or still to make a C-Frame, so wondering what my options are for a Pneumatic squeezer for C-Frame mount?

C-Frame for Numatx C-squeezer

If you purchase a Numatx C-squeezer system (HTS-C3K), send me a PM and reference your PO#, and I can send plans for scratch building a c-frame or modifying the DRDT-2 to accept the Numatx C-squeezer.

https://numatx-tools.com

Last edited:
Back