What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430w, Dynon IFR Techique.

ty1295

Well Known Member
I recently just installed a 420w (no nav, but com and GPS). We did the first test flight this past week. Coupled to autopilot perfectly, flew the entry, hold, then inbound. 1st time via autopilot, 2nd time following the HSI.

But I am curious how others with a similar setup use the systems. For example the 4XXW you can't input Victor Airways into a flight plan. To construct the flight plan if more than just airports, can be a lot of knob twisting.

So how do you flow, if given a Victor Airway to follow do you use the Dynon for enroute, and just load approaches thru the 4XXW, any tips are appreciated. I am not IFR rated yet, but idea was to use this system now to train.

The only time I have been asked to use a V route was between waypoints on that V route, so just enter the way points in the flight plan and you will automatically follow the V route. It is legal to use GPS to follow V routes (the 420, not the dynon). If I was asked to intercept a V route without a way point, I would pick a forward waypoint on the V route, punch in D-> to that waypoint and use the 430's OBS function to create a course to that waypont based upon the V route's radial from the next VOR (they always have a VOR radial on them and it will be the same for any wypnt on the V route between VORs) then intercept that course and follow it. I believe V routes only change direction at VORs. I believe the V stands for VOR, as they are VOR point to point navigation routes

You can also pick a near forward waypoint on the V route and ask ATC if it is ok to intercept the V route at that waypoint, then go D-> to that waypoint and on to the next VOR on the V route, which would have you tracking the V route.

The OBS mode option also works well when you are asked to follow a VOR radial on SIDs or similar departure instructions.

Larry

Last edited:
There are quite a few examples of Victor airways that have course changes at points other than the VOR - but there will always be a waypoint associated with that changeover. You can use VOR-waypoint-VOR for the navigation in the 430W for those segments.

And yes, that can be a bit of buttonology to get it correct in the box.

Yes, there?s a lot of button pushing. I highly recommend down-loading the 430W simulator from Garmin?s web site, and practice at home. Learn some of the short cuts (direct-direct to activate a new leg) and pitfalls (activating vectors to final, some of the fixes will disappear). Also, if I read correctly, you have only gps navigation. The current ACS calls for three different types of approaches to be demonstrated. GPS offers two. Some examiners are willing to read the rule differently. Something to discuss with your cfii and maybe local DPE.

420 vs 430

Your title says 430 but your first sentence says 420. It was my understanding that the 420, like the 480 that I have, came from the Apollo/UPSAT line (Garmin bought out). On my 480 I can input flight plans with just the Victor route and the navigator figures out the turn points. I think the 420 may also do that, but the 430 may not.

Your title says 430 but your first sentence says 420. It was my understanding that the 420, like the 480 that I have, came from the Apollo/UPSAT line (Garmin bought out). On my 480 I can input flight plans with just the Victor route and the navigator figures out the turn points. I think the 420 may also do that, but the 430 may not.

NO, that's not correct. Garmin sold a 400W (GPS only), a 420W(GPS + com) and a 430W (GPS, com, VOR-ILS), both non-was (no "W") an WASS. GPS section is identical to 430.

The 420W I have is a 430W, just minus the VOR Radio. Works the same, looks the same just no VOR/ILS all GPS.

It came up available from someone I knew for a price I could justify so I grabbed it, knowing the 430w would slide in later along with some other options without a lot more wiring. Also allowed me to start training. My friend hangered next to me has a 6 with VOR and no GPS, and we plan to help each other as safety pilots so between the 2 planes we can get both.

Is it enough to file and fly real IFR, probably not with enough safety margin to make me comfortable. I do have a VOR antenna ready to mount, and Nav radios can be had in a few options also.

Just curious of any tips/tricks 430/Dynon users have found that might help.

Jeff, how do you get it to fly a holding pattern? I also have a 420W (and had a 430W in a previous aircraft) and have never been able to get them to fly a holding pattern. There may be a difference between US and Australian databases.

Jack

Jeff, how do you get it to fly a holding pattern? I also have a 420W (and had a 430W in a previous aircraft) and have never been able to get them to fly a holding pattern. There may be a difference between US and Australian databases.

Jack

For a non-published enroute hold, push OBS prior to the fix. Align HSI or OBS setting with the inbound holding course. Enter and fly the pattern. When ready to depart, push OBS again to turn obs off and resume waypoint sequencing. I don?t know of the gps will provide data to guide the autopilot for an unpublished hold.
For published racetrack course reversal at an IAF: if you just want to reverse course and proceed, do not push OBS. Just follow course reversal guidance and proceed inbound. If you wish to hold, push OBS once you have entered the pattern, set HSI or OBS to inbound course. Box will provide guidance around the pattern. When ready to proceed inbound on the approach, push OBS to again resume waypoint sequencing. My autopilot/420W will fly this hold very well.

as to your original question, i never put in the entire route because of the changing nature of rerouting in flight. my 430 directs the auto pilot so the next 2 or 3 waypoints are sufficient for me.
ps, the recent data base download has now included small private airports. :)
IMG-3170.jpg

Back