Originally Posted by MED
I just completed these steps. As you said, filing the upper bracket was fairly easy. However, filing the lower stop was indeed a PITA. The only way I was able to do it, and get the two stops to hit together, was to use thin strips of 100 grit sand paper (~1/4"), threading them around the tube that the bracket hits with the rough side on the stop side. By holding some slight control force against the stop, it was possible to then pull the sandpaper out. This caused the sandpaper to remove a tiny bit of the stop ( I'm guessing about 2 atoms
). Repeat for a long time until the stops hit together. Fortunately, when I got the two stops hitting together, it was within spec. for travel. There is probably an easier way . . .
I just completed this process. Neither forward or back angle was quite up to minimum when I started, but I focused first on getting both sides hitting the stops simultaneously. I cut two strips of paper 8 1/2 long and 5/16" wide, held the stick bases neutral and threaded them down past the top stop, around the tube that contacts the stops and out over the bottom stop, one on each side. Relax the stick forward against the stop and tug each strip. On mine, the right was tight, no contact on the left. Hold the stick back and test the other way with a tug. Mine was tight on the left, no contact on the right. I then cut two strips of cloth-backed sandpaper, one 220 grit, the other 400. Worked on one side at a time with the 220 until there started to be some resistance to the tug (always using the plain paper strips to check.) Like in the post above, use the stick base to maintain pressure against the sandpaper on the stop you are sanding. Then finished with 400. My sandpaper strips were over a foot long and I would pull back and forth so I didn't have to keep threading it thru. Took awhile but was easy and foolproof. Best part is, when I got both sides contacting simultaneously, the stick travel was perfectly in the middle of the desired range.