What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching Windows - Lord Adhesive

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
A few questions regarding attaching the windows:

1) How much adhesive (how big of a bead) does it take on the cabin top flanges to achieve a good bond without a crazy amount of squeeze out?

2) How do you hold the windows in place for the 20+ minute working time and the 2+ hour window before the product is cured enough to handle? In particular how did you handle keeping the rear windows in place and pressed into the recess?

3) I'm sure more than a few of you attached the windows with the doors mounted, which is what I'd like to do. How'd you hold the windows in place for that? (Same technique as for the aft windows?)

Toss in any more thoughts you have on attaching the windows. I welcome the information.

Windows

I made some clamps from aluminum that get flecked to the cabin too and doors to hold the windows. Once cured, clamps are removed and holes filled with epoxy flox...

I drilled and clecoed plex window to cabin cover flange with the Lord adhesive, glassed over after cured.

I don't recall the size of the bead but I'm guessing somewhere in between a 1/8" and 1/4". For the rear windows I used a combination of duct tape and aluminum spring clamps (1/2" wide aluminum finger bent to apply downward pressure).

FP21122012A00033.jpg

I did my doors off fuse so there I used duct tape and weights placed around the window perimeter.

I drilled and clecoed plex window...
That's similar to what I did. I drilled holes through the fiberglass right up against the edge of the window rather than through the plexiglass. Then I used clecos with an area washer behind to hold the window in place. Be sure to grease up the clecos and area washers to they don't stick.

Search the forums...

There is a bunch of info on the different glues here. Lots of people prefer the Lord or Sika adhesives over the weld on.

After using the Lord to bond my overhead console in, I will be using it on the windows. Easy to apply, very little mess and bonds really well. The only downside I see is it is an off white color...It is not available in black. There is a version of the Lord adhesive that is black but it only has about a 10 minute work time...

Back