What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You can do it

Greenley

Well Known Member
Sometimes I get discouraged with the amount of work left to complete my RV-10. I was looking through some pictures from a trip to Germany a few years ago and found these pics from a museum in Munich. If this man could do what he did with next to nothing, imagine what we can do with all of our tools, especially with vans airforce.
IMG_8217.JPG

IMG_8219.JPG

I would love to see some more pictures and specs of that thing. Yes, sometimes it seems like the completion is a long way off.

I don't quite recollect in its entirety but recall something along the lines of POW's of WWII built a glider for escape. Housed in a castle maybe and built the glider behind a false wall? Or was that a movie? I'm too lazy to google right now-been shoveling snow!. :D

Last edited:
I think the last successful escape from E. Berlin was some guy who flew from the west side into the east in an ultra lite to pick up his brother and flew him out at night.

I found two more pictures, one with expected flight characteristics, and one showing an engine. The plane was a twin pusher. So that makes this another example of a homebuilt twin.
IMG_8220.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

That is a 250cc motorcycle engine. That would be a total of 500cc and 38 hp. A takeoff run of 450 meters if I read it right. About 1400 feet if my head did the math right. I wonder if he had a runway?

Berlin Wall

I'm not a 'museum person' but when in Berlin, I visited several small museums within blocks of the remnants of the Wall. One of them has a room or two of escape stories. There was an amazing story about two families who managed to escape in a home made 'experimental' balloon. Those people were gutsy, smart and pretty desperate. An awesome aeronautical feat.

My son-in law remembers the days on the east the Berlin Wall. They never gave up hope.

Back