What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib - nut plate help needed

fr0gpil0t

Well Known Member
Ok I'm having a brain freeze on page 15-02 of the wing assembly manual. Figure 4 and 5 seem to suggest I only install one nut plate per rib.

However reading ahead (dangerous I know). On page 15-05 figure 1 showing how the nose rib are attached to the spar it shows two ribs with the call out 2 attached nut plates.

So am I miss reading page 15-02 and should I be adding two nut plates per rib.

Also on page 14-03 it refers to a left and right doubler W-1207B but the inventory for the wing kit on includes one doubler - is the other one in the fuselage kit ?

Robert

Step 9 on 15-02 says, Dimple then install three nutplates on each nose rib.
And figure 4 says, K1000-08 3 places. So both the text and figure 4 call for three nutplates.
Step 10 text says, "Dimple then install two nutplates on the nose rib . . ."
Figure 5 says, "K1000-08 2 places. So both the text and figure 5 call for two nutplates.
Reading ahead is not dangerous. It is actually recommended to help understand the plans.

It doesn't say that on Revision 1 of the plans 3/30/15

"Step 9: Select one each of the W-1208-L Nose Ribs and W-1208-R Nose Ribs with the aft and forward trimmed flanges. Dimple the rivet hole locations as shown in Figure 4. Final drill #19 the center nutplate hole as shown in Figure 4. Dimple then install the nutplate on each nose rib as shown in Figure 4."

Doing some searching on VAF it looks like the may be a problem with Figure 1 on page 15-05. It is dated 7 days earlier 3/23 revision 0.

Robert

Unfortunately I have 15-02 revision 0. I can not find revision 1 on Van's website. If you can not figure it out, then install the extra nutplates. I do not see any harm if the extra nutplates are not needed except for a few extra grams of weight.

Been reading further ahead. It looks like only one nut plate is needed on the inboard rib - as a grounding point for the electrical connector. The connector itself is mounted using two standoffs.

The other rib looks like it needs two nut plates in order to mount the stall warning vane. So drawing are incorrect.

As you noted the revisions don't seem to be online. I have them because I just received the wing kit.

Robert

Back