What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stabiliser Orientation

AusFlyingBear

Hello VAF,

I have sent this to Vans but thought I'd post it here as well.

I have a question in regard to my horizontal stabiliser. I discovered the amended plans on the vans website and noticed the issue about the incorrect alignment of the spars. I, unfortunately, had done this but not yet riveted the rear spar in place

Accordingly, I've re-orientated the rear spar to match the alignment of the front spar. Thought this would be easier than reskinning the whole stabiliser. This makes what I had planned on being the bottom now being the top.

My question here is that I have dimpled and riveted the holes that are now on the top skin as shown page 8-08 (holes for fairing attachment). Is it ok just to remove these rivets? Will the dimple effect anything? Is it possible to flatten the dimple?

I will dimple the holes and rivet the new bottom as per plans.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

A lot of builders accidentally dimple the "Do Not Dimple" holes.
When the holes get enlarged for the fairing screws the majority of the dimple gets drilled away so it will not be a problem.

Where are the amended plans?

After reading this post, I searched the Vans website under "Support" and "RV-14/14A" but didn't see anything related to the horizontal stabilizer.

Can someone point out that amendment to me?

Thanks

Ah, thanks. Given the date on that, it's already in my plans.

Does anyone know if new revision are e-mailed to the owner/builder of record? ie is there any notification mechanism or must I go to that page periodically and figure out what applies to me?

Thanks.

Back