What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar at KOAK - Northern California

tectweaker

Well Known Member
I recently saw this ad on the email list for north field at oakland.

I recently bought a bigger hangar there and moved my plane and so far it has been going well. I know that other people are looking for hangars in the area. I thought it would be good to post this here in case in anybody is interested. I don't know the owner and have any more information on this. Please contact him directly.

------------
I'm offering for sale an executive one hanger. located in the North Field Port a port area. This Hanger has a great location right next to the taxiway with great views of the airport field. No waiting for other aircraft's pulling out because your new hanger is next to the taxiway. This well located hanger offers convenience access to FBO's such as Signature or Kaiser for faster service like fuel calls, public restroom, etc. It also has quick access to the field gate and much more.

I'm offering this hanger for sale at $16,000.00. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Safe Flying...

Tony (415) 307-8635

Oakland Rentals

I have my plane at SQL, and recently moved to Alameda, so moving to KOAK would be great. But I've heard bad things about not being able to store tools at the hangar, not having real electrical supply, with a 1 hour timer on a single 120V outlet. Is any of this still the case at OAK?

I never had problems with storing basic tools and materials at the hangar when I was there. I also some pretty cluttered hangars there. Power probably depends on where the hangar is located, but what you say is true for old Ts, where I used to rent (a single 10 or 15 amp 120v outlet with a timer).

Fuel on the field is crazy expensive and dealing with badges is kind of a pain. Otherwise, KOAK is great to fly out of - short taxi and never any significant traffic.

I was at the North field OAK hangars for a couple of years. I will say it has a great location, which is good.
The bad: Leaking hangars, no full time electrical power, constant harassment by do nothing Port of Oakland employees asking to see your ID badge, finger printing that you have to pay for, a two hour computer based test to get an North field badge. The test is the same one that the baggage handlers do.

To top it off, you can't drive a car to your hangar unless you comply with the ridiculous Port of Oakland insurance requirements.

My insurance company actually laughed at me when I told them what the port required. I'm so glad to be out of there. The hangars are some of the least expensive in the Bay Area but as the old saying goes " You get what you pay for."

Pat
RV7
KHAF

I moved my plane at Oakland few months ago.

Getting the badge was few hours long affair but manageable.

Most people I know have a little solar panel which seems to work okay for power( about few hundred dollars worth setup)

My hangar is fairly water tight ...

I was able to get a discount setup through kaiser air as well which is convenient for on field fueling.

Departures have been much faster then some of the other airports. I did not have any trouble getting them added on the insurance policy.

I guess the experience might vary by person ...

There's two types of hangars at OAK where my flying club is and where I'm building my 14.

The 'new' T's and the port a ports are the ones without dedicated power. You have to (if you're close enough to one) siphon power from a light pole, use solar or a genny. They've had problems with leaks up top and the wall to floor area isn't really sealed so rain, mice, etc come right on in.

The old T's are on the other side of 15/33 and are the ones that you want. Power (110 in most of the smaller ones, 110 and 220 in the twin hangars) is in all hangars. People keep their tools there as well as people having built mezzanines for more storage etc etc.

New T's there's generally no waiting list for. The old Ts has a list. I've been on it for 3 years. The average wait is 3-4 (it used to be 8-10). There's plenty of tie downs though, a plane wash area and a maintenance area people can taxi/tow their planes over to work on them (you provide your own tools of course).

Yes there are security minimums there as the GA friendly(er) north field area is technically tied to the commercial south field via a taxiway. So theres fingerprinting, background checks, gotta get a badge, computer based training every 2 years, insurance minimums etc. It's a bit of a palava BUT you, your plane and all of your equipment is secure.

- Kilroy

Back