What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and balance numbers

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
I was looking for a weight and balance data bank, but since Sharpie's website is gone so is the info. (well i couldn't find it anyway) So, maybe we could have a sticky for folks to post their weight and balance data...make sure you give some background for comparison

I'll start:

IO-360, WW200RV C/S prop, prop spacer, extended James cowl, Tip-up, oversized 380-150/5 tires. Simple glass panel, CAD sportsman seats and carpet, painted and full fairings.

right main 511#
left main 514#
tail 70#
total 1095# c.g=80.2

RV-7build1138.jpg

n213rh

Right wheel 525
left wheel 527
tail wheel 77

Total 1129

cg 80.78

Io 360 180 hp hartzelle constant speed, dual skyview, garmin 430w 327, gma 240, anywhere map duo, paint fairings, extinguisher, classic aero interior

Last edited:
RV-7, O-360, three blade Catto

Right main 480
Left main 492
Tail 74

Total 1,046

Empty cg is 81.59"

No paint, all fairings, full interior, SJ cowl & plenum.

RV-7, IO-360, 2 Blade Catto

Total: 1,005

Dual Dynons, dual battery backup, not much else. No interior except seats and no paint.

RV-7A

Here is mine.

Slider closed, catto 3 blade with saber spacer, carb 0360, paint and pants, classic aero seats and carpet.( no side panels yet ) with engine oil, no fuel.

p7022452custom.jpg
[/URL]

I do have a problem. When I get on the step to get in , the tail goes down. Lucky someone was at the prop and got a hold of it for me. I understand that when I put some fuel in, that it will help. Im going to have to look at how to fix this.

Last edited:
Weight and Balance numbers

Left Main 508
Right Main 502
TW 70
Gross 1080
CG 80.92"

O-360 Hartzell CS prop, day/night VFR panel fancy interior (sorry I can't remember)

First flight in the next few days :)))))

I still have an AFT CofG, even with 3/4 full of fuel. im at 81.7" Arm

What are my options to put more weight up front ? Im after best bang for buck, I dont want to have to go to CS prop. I think I can get a Landol CG ring for around $450, I already have a heavy starter.

How about some lead bolted to the engine ?

:confused:

I still have an AFT CofG, even with 3/4 full of fuel. im at 81.7" Arm

What are my options to put more weight up front ? Im after best bang for buck, I dont want to have to go to CS prop. I think I can get a Landol CG ring for around $450, I already have a heavy starter.

How about some lead bolted to the engine ?

:confused:

Jamie,

The aft limit of the RV-7A is 86.82".

If I put 30 gallons of fuel in the tanks with nothing else loaded, the CG is at 80.74. Yours is at 81.7, about an inch aft of mine.

My weights came in at 417, 412, and 244 up front. What are your weights?

I am somewhat restricted in carrying baggage with more than 400# in the seats plus the CG moves aft as fuel is burned off. Its easy to take off in limit and land out of limit.

You will be restricted also but you should be able to fly the test flights while you come up with a way to add some weight up front. With 30 gallons of fuel and a 200# pilot, I calculate your cg will be at 84.04 well forward of the 86.82 limit. Landing with 10 gallons of fuel, the cg will be at 84.31.

port = 419 lbs
stbd = 416 lbs
nose = 240 lbs

The problem I have is this. 1 x (about 250 lbs) co-pilot seated, 3/4 full fuel, slider canopy open, when the other pilot ( about 200 lbs ) got on the step and tried to get onto the wing, the tail hit the ground. :(

Note this was with the engine cowls top and bottom off, no wheel pants. Even when I did have them on, it still feels AFT CofG.

Last edited:
320 engine mount with 360...

...and light prop will move the CG forward. Probably not what you wanted to hear since your AC is beautifully painted, but it confirms what I needed to hear.

The 360 engine mount seems to have been designed for a C/S prop. For those of us who like the idea of a Catto prop, we should be using the 320 mount even with the 360.
there is very little difference in weight between a 320 and 360.

LarryT

port = 419 lbs
stbd = 416 lbs
nose = 240 lbs

The problem I have is this. 1 x (about 250 lbs) co-pilot seated, 3/4 full fuel, slider canopy open, when the other pilot ( about 200 lbs ) got on the step and tried to get onto the wing, the tail hit the ground. :(

Note this was with the engine cowls top and bottom off, no wheel pants. Even when I did have them on, it still feels AFT CofG.

Jamie,

I just got off the phone with Sam at Saber intending to get some info on the device he has to help fix your situation and he asked if I was calling on behalf of Jamie in Australia and I said yes. You are one step ahead and have already contacted him. :)

That 14# crush plate would cure your problem. The only issue is how much it would cost to get it to you.

Doesn't a light prop move the CG towards the rear?

You are correct, except his title states, "320 engine mount with 360...". Thus the longer engine mount and heavier engine with a light prop might just work out fine.

I'm not sure what the length difference between the 320 and 360 mounts are but I do know the mount I had with the 290 was 12" from the firewall. The mount I now have with the 360 is only 10" from the firewall.

Granted my -9 is different than the -7 but the O-360 and Catto prop with the 10" mount work out great!

My weight

Left 503
Right 499
TW 75
Total 1077 C.G. 81.78

ECI IO-360 180 hp with 3 blade Catto, simple panel, night vfr with MGL Enigma EFIS, no interior except cloth covered seats and some blue foam with carpet on the floor between the ribs.

However, this is after adding a 20lb Saber Mfg steel crush plate and longer bolts. With the 1 pound aluminum crush plate, I was at 1056lbs and 82.37 C.G., which only gave me 32lbs of baggage capacity. Adding 20lbs to the nose added 18lbs to the rear baggage capacity at landing weight with an hour of fuel reserves.

For Oshkosh, I strapped tools and tiedowns under my co-pilots legs, and velcro'd a plastic box in front of the fuel pump for spare oil and canopy cleaner, thus putting some of the cargo weight in front of CG.

OOPs

Doesn't a light prop move the CG towards the rear?

too late at night. A light prop absolutely moves CG aft. The 320 mount moves the engine,flywheel and prop forward, therefore moving the CG forward.

I hope I stated it correctly this time.

LarryT

Jamie,

I just got off the phone with Sam at Saber intending to get some info on the device he has to help fix your situation and he asked if I was calling on behalf of Jamie in Australia and I said yes. You are one step ahead and have already contacted him. :)

That 14# crush plate would cure your problem. The only issue is how much it would cost to get it to you.

Thank you David, Im getting a shop here in Australia to CnC a 19 pound steel spacer for me. My spacer will have a recess in the middle so I will not need to get longer bolts ( $100 a set )
I hope this should help with my aft CofG. I hope to get it fitted in the next day or so, and will also be getting a prop balance done. I will post my findings then.

RV-7 flying, painted outside, no primer inside, full Classic Aero leather interior, XP-360 with Sensi FP:-

Left main: 517
Right Main: 518
TW: 63

CofG: 79.58

Chad, what engine, prop,and anything else special equipped. This helps with others trying to figure out how there's may balance.

Specs: superior IO-360, catto three blade 1 lb crush plate, dual skyviews and a full classic aero interior.

Left : 510
Right : 515
Tail : 80

Empty weight : 1105
Empty cg : 82.109

When I load two pilots and full fuel I can only get 42 pounds of baggage before I'm outside the aft cg limits. Anyone have any ideas on how to move the cg a little farther forward at the empty weight so I can carry more baggage?

-david

Im thinking the same thing for the 9A I am building. I want a Catto and the 6800 battery, but I am afraid I will not be able to carry the baggage I want to. I think it is more of an issue with the 7, but what are people doing to keep the CG in the right place for baggage? A little more weight up front makes a big difference.

by doing some calculations with the CG Calculator, if I add a 20 lb crush plate I can increase my baggage capacity to 65 crash from the 40 i am currently at.

Specs: RV-7 VH-EWS tip-up

Lycoming YIO-360 M1B
Sensenich FP Prop
Single Skyview with Transponder and dual auto pilot
Garman 695 GPS
ICOM A210
Classic Aero Sportsman interior with front carpet.
DJM tail wheel
Painted

R Wheel----513.92 lbs
L Wheel----513.92 lbs
T Wheel-----68.00 lbs

Total-----1095.84 lbs

CofG--------80.20”

Cheers

Last edited:
Just did mine:

RV7 313TD tip-up
Lycoming O-360-F1A6/AFP FI and Superior Sump,
Hartzell CS prop
Classic Aero Aviator interior

Right Main: 523
Left Main: 524
Tail Wheel: 67

Total: 1114
CG (Empty): 80.17

*Weighed in level attitude with 8 qts of oil

W & B

My w & b
ready to fly VFR painted seats carpet wheel pants Dynon TruTrak
Lycom IO360A1A 200HP Hartzell C/S
right wheel 405
left wheel 405
nose wheel 308
empty 1118
cg 79.25

Dave K

RV7A weight/balance

I have an RV7A with an O-360. I weighed the plane with no fuel but full of oil and without the gear leg fairings or wheel pants. Empty weight was 1,060 lbs.
R main 385
L main 390
Nose 285
CG: 79.2126

32HRS ON PLANE NOW AND IT FLYS STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW!

It also is very predictable in stalls with a short buffet before it breaks.

I love this airplane!

Left 477
Right 481
TW 70
Total 1028
CG 81.51
Titan IOX370, single G3X touch, whirlwind 200RV constant speed prop, painted.

85 lb baggage capacity with full tanks and the wife and me (320 lbs). Looks like no acro with a passenger though :mad:. Oh well!

Weight and Balance

Left=490
Right=491
Tail=62
Empty Weight= 1.043
Cg: 79.19

Engine Lycoming 0-360 A1P
Propeller Whirl Wind 200 RV
Tru Trak
No Paint

85 lb baggage capacity with full tanks and the wife and me (320 lbs). Looks like no acro with a passenger though :mad:. Oh well!

Do not figure baggage allowance with full fuel. You will seldom land with full tanks. Baggage allowance should be calculated with minimum fuel for C/G limits.

Last edited:
Unpainted taildragger

Empty = 1,055 (491 RW, 495 LW, 69 TW), 80.98"

RV-7 slider, unpainted, no gear leg fairings or wheel pants. Minimal interior, but I plan to only add front and baggage carpet. Barrett IO-360-X, 8.5:1 (180hp) with Superior sump, Catto 3-blade, Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust, SkyTech starter, and backup alternator on accessory pad. Battery is Van's standard firewall mount. Dynon panel with GNS-430W.

I expect paint, carpet, etc to add 30 to 40 lbs and move the CG further aft. Right now, I would be limited to 79 lbs baggage with standard 170 lb pilot and passenger, but T/O gross would only be 1,726. Soooo, I will likely install a 15-20 lb crush plate. Looks like this will get me close to 100 lb baggage with 2 adults at both fuel extremes. I also plan to fabricate a storage locker for the tie-down kit (about 12 lbs) as far forward on the center floor as practical.

UPDATE with PAINT and more:
I did install an 18# steel crush plate to move the CG forward. Also added a locker for tie-down kit on top of the fuel pump/filter cover, and included the 12 lb kit and locker in the W&B (kit required to be on-board). Finally, added paint and 1 gal unusable fuel.
Empty = 1,117# at 80.29"

With 2 people at 170# each and 100# bags, full fuel wt is 1803#. Aft CG limit is OK down to 8 gal of fuel remaining. With just me on board, I'm in limits down to zero fuel with 100# baggage. Aerobatic weight and CG limits with 2 people at 170# each (no baggage) are OK with zero to 24 gallons on board. Single pilot (170#), any fuel amount is OK.

Last edited:
mains 522 and 529
TW 72
Empty CG 81.25 :mad:

Hartzell CS, IO 360, Full Classic Aero Interior, Paint

Not too bad but it still eats on me! I splurged for the CS and my wife and I still cant carry 100 lbs and land with less than 30 gal! I need to find a lighter TW and start polishing that paint on the tail! :p

Do we need to put together a detailed equipment list, and their appropriate calculations for the W&B? and how detailed? canopy shade open close, hand held ect?

Do we need to put together a detailed equipment list, and their appropriate calculations for the W&B? and how detailed? canopy shade open close, hand held ect?

Bret,

Slow response but my 2c is that you do not need a detailed equipment list with locations/weights/arms but it would not hurt if you did. Changing things down the road would be easier to re-calculate.

Keep in mind that any change under 1 lb does not require a change to W&B.

Last edited:
My numbers now that I am flying rather than building. No wheel pants or paint at this time.

RV-7A
L = 410
R = 408
N = 275
CG = 80.19
Total = 1093 = 707 usable load

I installed a 20 lb Saber plate to compensate for the 12 lb Catto 3 blade prop. Also have the Anti-Splat Nose Job 2.

Last edited:
Im thinking the same thing for the 9A I am building. I want a Catto and the 6800 battery, but I am afraid I will not be able to carry the baggage I want to. I think it is more of an issue with the 7, but what are people doing to keep the CG in the right place for baggage? A little more weight up front makes a big difference.

Rocky, I think the -A models have fewer aft CG issues than the taildraggers. I wouldn't stress about it. There are many ways to adjust.

Be careful with this one...

Do not figure baggage allowance with full fuel. You will seldom land with fuel tanks. Baggage allowance should be calculated with minimum fuel.

... Except for emergency returns. Understand the risk you're taking doing this. RV's can't dump fuel -- unless someone has a crazy mod :D.

... Except for emergency returns. Understand the risk you're taking doing this. RV's can't dump fuel -- unless someone has a crazy mod :D.

My primary concerns are for C/G limits. You are correct that it IS a factor for gross weight.

Rocky, I think the -A models have fewer aft CG issues than the taildraggers. I wouldn't stress about it. There are many ways to adjust.

IO360, 2005 catto 3 blade

Here's my morphed 7A to 7 data
7A CG = 81.88, empty weight 1081
7 CG = 81.11, empty weight 1065

Since I will be installing the landoll ring, I was looking at the data today, my cg moved forward on the conversion.

The 12# ring will help, but I will also keep my lead scuba bean bags on my inside firewall. I created a dam to hole them forward.

Last edited:

Since I will be installing the landoll ring, I was looking at the data today, my cg moved forward on the conversion.

The 12# ring will help, but I will also keep my lead scuba bean bags on my inside firewall. I created a dam to hole them forward.

Very interesting. Thanks Dan.

I'm about a week away from weighing mine -- taildragger, IO-360-M1B, Hartzell BA, light VFR glass panel, built to plans. Should be interesting. I'll post the #'s when I have them.

Interesting indeed. The CG change data is counterintuitive to me.

On the assumption that there were not any other items relocated unrelated to the 7A to 7 change, the CG moving forward indicates that the main gear relocation has a major effect on CG position between the 7 and 7A.

The nose gear removal and tail wheel addition are both "rearward CG" moves so the main gear repositioning had to more than compensate for both of them.

I have had recent "idle" thoughts about converting to a 7. It will take a mighty big "round tuit" though. :)

When I was building 7A 10 years ago, I had seen posts about rear CG tendency but I did not realize it was the taildragger being described. I pushed everything forward during construction and have an empty CG of 78.7" which is quite far forward. It is essentially impossible for me to load the craft out the back of the envelope. Downside is my nosewheel weight is high although still within Vans limits in all loading scenarios.

For reference:
7A unpainted tip up
IO-360-M1B/Hartzell
IFR Glass w/ steam BU
Some fabric interior by SWMBO
Kevlar/ceramic floorboards
1109 lbs
78.7 empty CG

Last edited:
Interesting indeed. The data is counterintuitive to me.

On the assumption that there were not any other items relocated unrelated to the 7A to 7 change, the CG moving forward indicates that the main gear relocation has a major effect on CG position between the 7 and 7A.

The nose gear removal and tail wheel addition are both "rearward CG" moves so the main gear repositioning had to more than compensate for both of them.

I have had recent "idle" thoughts about converting to a 7. It will take a mighty big "round tuit" though. :)

When I was building 7A 10 years ago, I had seen posts about rear CG tendency but I did not realize it was the taildragger being described. I pushed everything forward during construction and have an empty CG of 78.7" which is quite far forward. It is essentially impossible for me to load the craft out the back of the envelope. Downside is my nosewheel weight is high although still within Vans limits in all loading scenarios.

For reference:
7A unpainted tip up
IO-360-M1B/Hartzell
IFR Glass w/ steam BU
Some fabric interior by SWMBO
Kevlar/ceramic floorboards
1109 lbs
78.7 empty CG

I also have the forward induction, but mine is a Superior model. But notice, my catto prop weighs in at 18# moving my cg considerable aft

VH-UER

Fairly disappointed in the results from a loooong slow build (10 years)

RH main = 531
LH main = 530
Tailwheel = 75

C of G = 80.8"

Painted and ALL parts fitted. RV-7 Io-360 parallel valve, Whirlwind prop. Classic interior.

Last edited:
N437T #'s

RV-7
Quickbuild
IO-360-M1B
Hartzell BA CS Prop
VFR glass panel (dual GRT Horizons)
Classic Aero Sportsman seats
Built light and to the plans
Weighed on certified and calibrated scales
Equipped for 1st flight (see pic below)

Left: 492
Right: 494
Tail: 57

Total: 1043

Stoked!

B6CjeQ7.jpg

Same problem on the -14?

Quick question from the new guy:

I'm still a ways away from starting a build, but my mission includes light aerobatics, occasionally with a friend. While I'm just under 170#, some of my compatriots are around 220#. Playing with a few of the numbers you've listed, I just don't see how it'd be possible to stay within the aerobatics 84.5" aft CG limit if my empty CG comes out to anything above 80".

Does anyone know if the -14 suffers from a similar aft CG tendency? After a quick search I didn't see any discussion in the -14 forums about a similar topic, so I figured I'd address it here before starting something new over there.

Best,
Will

Note: I'm more concerned about Aerobatics CG comparison between the two. I know both the -7 and -14 will perform well for me during cross country flight.

Last edited:
Quick question from the new guy:

I'm still a ways away from starting a build, but my mission includes light aerobatics, occasionally with a friend. While I'm just under 170#, some of my compatriots are around 220#. Playing with a few of the numbers you've listed, I just don't see how it'd be possible to stay within the aerobatics 84.5" aft CG limit if my empty CG comes out to anything above 80".[/I]

I ran the numbers on my -7A and could get to 1600 lbs with you, your compatriot and 18 gallons of fuel. You could take off with a little more fuel and calculate when you burned off enough to be under 1600.

I installed a 20 lb plate in front of my 3 blade Catto to keep CG such that it would allow 100 lbs of baggage. Using the above numbers of 170, 220 and 18 gallons:
CG is 79.55 empty; 83.96 on take-off and 84.11 after burning 10 gallons of fuel. Empty fuel with co/pilot is 84.24.

I had planned to swap the PC680 on the firewall for an EarthX to save 10+ lbs but will have to run the numbers to be sure I keep my CG about where it is.

Last edited:
1123 Lbs

IMG_0617.jpg

Left: 520,7 Lbs
Right: 521,6 Lbs
Tail: 80,7 Lbs
Total: 1123 Lbs

Engine: Aerosport power IO-375
Prop: Whrilwind 200RV
Avionics: Full Dynon package including 2 Dynon SV-1000T, AP with panel modules, VP-X Sport
Interior: Full Classic Aero Sportsman pakage

Its a bit on the heavy side, but OK considering that I have a big engine and a constant speed prop, a nice comfortable interior and superb avionics.
Just on the aft side of the enveloppe with max bagages, two pax and minimum fuel, as expected...
I'm happy...

Last edited:
Back