What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NavWorx tech issues - help each other

Kudos

I want to take time out to thank Bob Leffler. In trying times, an individual will often step forward to help those in need. I see tech support from the back end, since I work for Dallas Avionics. We are trying hard to make right what Navworx made wrong. Bob is helping those who are still trying to work around the bad GPS receiver chip set. The combinations of black boxes and hence, serial data streams becomes increasingly complex... exponentially.
I see posters here who are brand new.... and struggling for information. We need to recognize the effort of those who do it purely from an altruistic drive.
Thanks Bob.

MW,

Port 2 has not ever worked (regardless of whether it was configured as 232 or wifi)...supposed to be a fix in 5.0(don't hold your breath).

Getting the three Green Ready for flight indicates that you are getting position from your 480 while getting squawk and altitude from your SL-70. What baud rate are you running the SL-70 at and is it configured in the NavWorx box as SL-70R? The reason I ask this question specifically is from my installation, the SL-70R configuration (Extended output and 9600baud) is the only one that will receive changes to the squawk code from the transponder. I had been working with NavWorx on this issue prior to them shuttering operations...running the transponder at 9600Baud prohibits it from communicating altitude data to my MX-20 - I'm working around that by replacing my Alt Encoder with a serial capable ACK A30.9.

I have the MX-20 instead of the GMX200 - but they should be similar... My MX-20 is configured to receive GDL90 UAT Radio on port 4. Are you using both the transmit and receive 422 pairs? I would ring out the wiring for the GMX200 - ADS600B interconnect...at one point I had one itty-bitty shield wire touching one of my signal wires and it went intermittent on me.

With the exception of the ADS600B/SL-70/MX20 interoperability mismatch, mine works well - I get traffic and weather on my MX-20 and traffic on my 430W.

NavWorx issues

Recapen,
Thanks for your reply.
I have a panel mount SL70 connected to my panel mount GNS480 and both connected via RS232. I also have an Aspen PFD connected to the GNS480 via the 429 lines. The Aspen PFD send its' encoded altitude to the 480, which sends it to the SL70, which sends it to the Navworx 600B.
However, the NavWorx MUST be set to the 'remote' SL70 to allow the NavWorx to accept the squawk code and alt from my panel mount SL70. My SL70 is set on the 'extended' mode (this was discovered by Navworx when we went thru my initial installation years ago). I seem to recall it is set on 9600 baud. Counter-intuitive, but it works!
Also counter intuitively, the NavWorx 4.1.0 console input tab MUST be set to the drop down tab for the 430/530 ADSB+ out (AND NOT the 480 drop down, if using the 480 newish port 3 output, not the 743 output) in order for the NavWorx to accept the ADSB+ position info. Supposedly 5.0 was supposed to 'fix' that (and the port 2 traffic output to Xpro via wifi--surprising the FIS works!). I see little hope 5.0 will EVER be issued.
My GMX200 422 port 4 display is working fine now (shows traffic and weather) on the NavWorx port 1 422 output. I goofed up one of the 422 wires-shield bad, just like you said- when I added the circuit for the ADSB+ position output-my bad. Fixed now, it's fine.

All I need now is to get a new performance report with no red boxes. Last one I had (ran for less than a min), I had a red box on the baro alt box, but I am thinking that is a fluke due to the short low altitude short run time.
MW

I want to take time out to thank Bob Leffler. In trying times, an individual will often step forward to help those in need. I see tech support from the back end, since I work for Dallas Avionics. We are trying hard to make right what Navworx made wrong. Bob is helping those who are still trying to work around the bad GPS receiver chip set. The combinations of black boxes and hence, serial data streams becomes increasingly complex... exponentially.
I see posters here who are brand new.... and struggling for information. We need to recognize the effort of those who do it purely from an altruistic drive.
Thanks Bob.

I appreciate the recognition. I try to help where I can.

Unfortunately I?ve been overwhelmed with requests from various folks requesting assistance. Many don?t understand the technology or Avionics installed in their aircraft. It?s one thing to answer a quick question. It?s totally different in helping somebody figure out their installation or why something doesn?t work correctly.

I just don?t have the time to respond to all the requests. I would recommend calling Saint Aviation, SteinAir, or Aerotronics for Support. They do this for a living and can be much more responsive than I can. You will most likely have to pay for that Support.

The most often question is for specific schematic information. I can tell you that all the AMOCs that are available on AOPA state to follow Navworx installation instructions. There is no other magic required for the AMOC.

The second most often request is for a copy of the manual or software. The -39 version of the manual is what the AMOCs are based upon, using 4.1.0 code. It always amazes me that people have the ADS600-B installed in their aircraft, but don?t have either of these.

There are many issues with distributing large EXE files. Most mail clients will not allowing receipt of such files. Please do not ask me for them. I would recommend a post on VAF requesting help. You will get a much quicker,response than I can provide.

If you post a request in this thread for assistance, please State which model Navworx unit you may have. The only AMOC available for the EXP is to turn the transmitter off. All the other AMOCs are for the 600-B.

I only speak for myself and not the othe AMOC authors. However, I?ve been told they are experiencing similar requests. I apologized for being so long winded. Thanks for understanding. I will continue to assist where I can, but only through posts here on VAF, and not via PMs or emails.

SL-70 Interoperability issue solved

Thanks to Bob Leffler referring Roy Thoma to me...allowing Roy to get rid of his unit and allowing me to test it with my configuration.

Come to find out that my original unit was not fully repaired when it went back for its serial port issues. The unit was not allowing the use of serial port input from my SL-70 unless it was configured as a SL-70R @ 9600 Baud - rendering it useless in providing data to my MX-20...which only takes 1200 baud inputs.

This is reinforcing my desire to abandon this platform as well.

Looking at a FreeFlight RANGR as a functional drop-in replacement.

Again Thanks Bob and Roy!

I was reading mauledrivers posts on your progress and you have a similar problem that i have. Garmin 430w as portion source and I get Yellow highlighted NACv min avg on the papr report my numbers are the same too 4 avg and 3 min. Everything else is perfect!! Did you ever get that resolved? Is the FAA not worried about it? Or are you taking the approach they don't ask I won't bring it up either. BTW the last idea is my choice for now. Anybody having the same problem as mauledrivers and me.

Thanks on any info it is truly appreciated.

Unfortunately I?ve been overwhelmed with requests from various folks requesting assistance. Many don?t understand the technology or Avionics installed in their aircraft. It?s one thing to answer a quick question. It?s totally different in helping somebody figure out their installation or why something doesn?t work correctly.

I just don?t have the time to respond to all the requests.

Let me be the first to say that Bethany knows EXACTLY how you feel.

And, while being far from the first one to do so, I also want to say Thank You.

David

Other thread

Folks might want to review the search function here on Van's. There is another thread discussing how to convert from Navworx to uAvionix products. Since I work for a distributor that sells replacement systems to end users, I have had my share of calls seeking assistance. Some of the requests have turned into multi-hour quests for wiring schematics. I kind of find this fun... to a certain extent. I always suggest builders and owners keep a good file of these schematics, as you don't know when you will have to reference them again. If an owner did not install the avionics, this ADS-B process is a good opportunity to learn much more about your aircraft. Knowledge is power... and power is 14.7 volts. (well, technically we might refer to amps...)
Anyway, have fun and watch for traffic out the canopy TOO!

Navworx Communication with PC

We are trying to evaluate our ADS600-B for AMOC and cannot communicate with the unit. We have the 4.1 install software (includes 4.1 console sw) which runs in Win 10, but there are no COM ports presented in the selection box. Our serial-USB adapter works and is configured to the correct baud rate, etc. We also have verified the wiring to the maintenance port.

Has anyone encountered this type problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dee

I was reading mauledrivers posts on your progress and you have a similar problem that i have. Garmin 430w as portion source and I get Yellow highlighted NACv min avg on the papr report my numbers are the same too 4 avg and 3 min. Everything else is perfect!! Did you ever get that resolved? Is the FAA not worried about it? Or are you taking the approach they don't ask I won't bring it up either. BTW the last idea is my choice for now. Anybody having the same problem as mauledrivers and me.

Thanks on any info it is truly appreciated.

I just got mine rewired to use my 430W and got the same yellow block on the papr. It's not red so I'm going to ignore it and fly on.

Navworx Communication with PC

Dee,
What USB-Serial adapter are you using?
NavWorx specified one - from memory a TrendNet TU-S9. I am running Windows 10 at the hangar and mine worked right out of the box - there was a pop-up when I started the 4.1 console software to select a serial port. I have to do that each time I use it but no other changes were required.

Speaking of harness connections, I had a meeting today with Ryan, from uAvionix. We talked about owners that have a Garmin 327 or Garmin 330 transponder. If they replaced the Navworx EXP unit with a uAvionix Echo, the altitude readout from the Garmin is not on the same serial line. He showed me a custom harness that addresses this. So, for owners of an Echo system that are using the "off the air" transponder scenario and have a 327 or 330, contact uAvionix for a free harness. Ryan said they will send it to you at no cost.
The benefit shows up in rural areas where no radar or airline TCAS is pinging your transponder. This extra serial line on the harness will report altitude all the time to the Echo UAT. If there is any confusion, give me a call at Dallas Avionics. Nick

Navworx software

I purchased the ADS600-BG when Navworx was still in business. I haven?t installed it yet and have never updated the software and I am wondering if the original software will still allow it to function. Does anyone know if There is anyone associated with Navworx that will answer questions.

Copman - Not familiar with the G version...this may be the certified version - check the part number.

There was an AD issued by the FAA which took effect in early January. It essentially said, disconnect and remove the non-certified devices (part numbers 200-0112 and 200-0113 are the certified devices). There are a number of AMOC's (Alternate Methods of Compliance) out there to allow continued use if you have a certified position source (Garmin 4xxW/5xxW/480/650/750, Avidyne 440/540, there may be others).

The latest software and Install manuals have been 'captured' outside of the NavWorx site and there are a growing number of us that have installed and are successfully using a version of the device. While NavWorx no longer provides support, this forum (and others like it) can get your questions answered enough to get it up and running. I would suggest that you have a very good understanding of the avionics capabilities, wiring, and all devices that may need to interface with your BG - it will help the process.

Start with what GPS you have, what transponder you have, what display you want to use, and what other equipment is installed/supporting in your panel.

Good Luck,

I believe the BG version was the device with the compliant GPS internally and not impacted by the AD.

Copman - Not familiar with the G version...this may be the certified version - check the part number.

There was an AD issued by the FAA which took effect in early January. It essentially said, disconnect and remove the non-certified devices (part numbers 200-0112 and 200-0113 are the certified devices). There are a number of AMOC's (Alternate Methods of Compliance) out there to allow continued use if you have a certified position source (Garmin 4xxW/5xxW/480/650/750, Avidyne 440/540, there may be others).

The latest software and Install manuals have been 'captured' outside of the NavWorx site and there are a growing number of us that have installed and are successfully using a version of the device. While NavWorx no longer provides support, this forum (and others like it) can get your questions answered enough to get it up and running. I would suggest that you have a very good understanding of the avionics capabilities, wiring, and all devices that may need to interface with your BG - it will help the process.

Start with what GPS you have, what transponder you have, what display you want to use, and what other equipment is installed/supporting in your panel.

Good Luck,

Yes. The BG model is the certified version. Mine is the 200-0112 with a Nexnav LRU mini Internal GPS. I am Feeding it with Garmin 327 and in turn it will feed two GRT Sport SXs, one with an internal GPS. I think I am going have to get it wired and powered to check my software version. Navworx has that info, but since I can?t get a hold of Bill, no joy. I would like to put out a thank you to Bill Moffitt for his input on which model I chose to purchase. I do not have a panel mount GPS and do not want to install one. With that info, Bill suggested that I purchase the certified model. Glad I did. I can?t fit anything else in my panel.

Copman90 - enough of us have the latest sw and manual published.
Depending on when you bought it - it probably already has the latest 4.1.0 software installed.

When you get it in and fired up - let us know if you need the update to 4.1.0.

Copman90 - enough of us have the latest sw and manual published.
Depending on when you bought it - it probably already has the latest 4.1.0 software installed.

When you get it in and fired up - let us know if you need the update to 4.1.0.

I would only upgrade if there is a known issue that is fixed in the upgrade.

4.1.0 has a major bug in that traffic isn't transmitted reliably to both display ports. This was supposedly fixed in 5.0, but that wasn't formally released before Bill shuttered the business.

So you may fix one issue only to inherit another. I don't recall if Bill published release notes with what was fixed in each release.

ADS600-B 200-0013

Big thank you to Ralph Capen who guided me on the install Process. Some information from Jason Aerotronics my original harness maker for my legacy G3X system with GTX327 and GNS430W and Dynon D-6 on right side of panel for back-up EFIS. Main physical effort was install of UAT antenna on tail. Big time consumer was wiring. Simple 4 wires to GNS430W, thanks to Stein for the harness which just plugged into the P4001 connector. Made my connections to the GTX327 with great effort to prevent removing harness from RV9A with splice to pin 20 and 13. Worked first time and had red on Baro Altitude. Learned to use D-6 as encoding altimeter input. Forgot to hook shield of signal wire from encoder to backshell. Baro Alt % fail was 2.0 reduced to 0.2 with this correction and got good numbers throughout. Experimented with Transmon and had Baro Alt % fail at 19 %. Made a modification but am not up to fiddling with a good system. No Joy on Wi-Fi display to Avare. Good way to test output of UAT antenna is to take tablet with Avare ADSB app and connect to SDR antenna. You can see your output from functioning NavWorx. I would like to have someone else try my TransMon for free if there are any takers. I would appreciate any help for getting Display One working on wifi or Bluetooth for tablet for FIS information. My GNS430W has a great display for traffic in Nav mode.
Take heart you to can save 1800 dollars like I did and get the OUT benefit.

Sorta' a different problem

Hoping SOMEONE out there has a similar problem.
My configuration is a GNS480-GMX200-SL70R and the Navworx box.

I get traffic very reliably on the 480 via the 429 line Full time. GMX200 is connect via RS422 lines.

Traffic on the GMX200 works reliably up to about 3000' - then goes very intermittant - perhaps it works 10 seconds out of every 10 minutes - then starts working very reliably below 3000' on the way down. (and on the ground when towers are close).

I have wrung out the wiring - even replaced the 37pin connector on the Navworx box - with no change. Not using port 2 - although I did have the wifi adapter connected to it originally.

Anyone have any ideas?

Phil

Phil,
Sounds like your issue is altitude related and isolated to your GMX-200.
What are you using for altitude input to your GMX-200?
Is your GNS-480 getting it's altitude from the same source?
Is your ADS-600B getting it's altitude from the same source?

Alternatively, the 422 circuit inside the ADS-600B is the suspect. The reason I consider going there is my previous issue with SL-70 interoperability - mine would only work at 9600 baud when configured as a SL-70R - I discovered that in testing another acquired box - which worked fine.

Phil,
Sounds like your issue is altitude related and isolated to your GMX-200.
What are you using for altitude input to your GMX-200?
Is your GNS-480 getting it's altitude from the same source?
Is your ADS-600B getting it's altitude from the same source?

GMX200 uses pressure altitude from the same encoder that drives the SL70R and 480. Switched the GMX to GPS altitude temporarily with no change. One thing I haven?t tried is to change the 480 to GMX200 protocol to something other than MAPMX.
The Garmin AT folks, who are normally very helpful, said that if traffic shows up at low altitude that the GMX settings are obviously correct - but when told that the traffic source was a Navworx box rather than a GDL90, they deferred.

Looking for ADS600-EXP software 5.6.2

I am planning to use one of the AMOCs and my setup software is saying this: "MUST UPGRADE ADS600-EXP SOFTWARE VERSION FROM 5.3.2 TO 5.6.2 - CLICK UPGRADE BUTTON ABOVE".
Does anyone have a copy or know where I can find this software?

Vic
RV8 working on avionics.

I am planning to use one of the AMOCs and my setup software is saying this: "MUST UPGRADE ADS600-EXP SOFTWARE VERSION FROM 5.3.2 TO 5.6.2 - CLICK UPGRADE BUTTON ABOVE".
Does anyone have a copy or know where I can find this software?

Vic
RV8 working on avionics.

Vic, I have that UAT installer version.
Send me a PM of your email address & I will get it to you.
FWIW, I never used that installer version. I'm running 5.3.1 and may be valid for the original firmware installed on my unit.
Once I got it up & running, I shied away from any of the other updates.
This is the windows version & not the iPad/iPhone mobile app installer

Last edited:
Danny, I didn't get it. please ck my Email address. it ends in .net instead of .com. Thanks again, Vic
Vic, the email was rejected by the server. Probably, because it had a file name extension of exe.
I changed it to xxx
Just rename it on your end.

I tried sending the original file again, this time it appears to have accepted it.

Danny, Looks like it kicked out again. -Vic

This time, I sent it to you as a zip file, but through my own smtp server vs gmail.
Sent to me also, I received the file in my non-gmail acount & was able to unzip.
My gmail account blocked it inbound & outbound

NavWorx EFB Tablet

I have completed initial testing and have found that the Android based EFB iFlyGPS and AVARE both work with my ADS600B. Both programs need the WiFi since they do not work with Bluetooth. iFlyGPS program loads onto and receives signal from the NavWorx directly. The I/O Plug-in of the AVARE is needed to transmit nmea data from the NavWorx to the Tablet and must be using code 4000. Both EFBs need to have NavWorx Transmit baud rate 115,200 set on Traffic Alerts.

Navworx installs

I see this is old....

I've been installing these units helping those stuck with them by as a low cost ADSB install. Looks like on the latest install, I'm having trouble like described here...for me, a baro failure. The detailed report shows intermittent. Like you, I have replaced almost everything. 3 encoders (not trusting the second one), a transponder and today I plan to try a diff Navworx units. All checks come up good on the programming. Any more help would be appreciated.

I see this is old....

I've been installing these units helping those stuck with them by as a low cost ADSB install. Looks like on the latest install, I'm having trouble like described here...for me, a baro failure. The detailed report shows intermittent. Like you, I have replaced almost everything. 3 encoders (not trusting the second one), a transponder and today I plan to try a diff Navworx units. All checks come up good on the programming. Any more help would be appreciated.

I would check the obvious, a loose wiring connection or chafing wire. Put an ohm meter to test continuity and wiggle the wire at various places along the route.

Is this a 600 or EXP?

Navworx installs

As mentioned earlier, I've been working with others stuck with these units (including myself) because of the AD by selling and installing (per AMOC) at a significant savings over all other ADS-B units. So far good luck except one plane...an RV6A. The plane keeps giving Baro Alt failures. I am pulling my hair out trying everything and still no luck. Changed encoder, transponder, transmon, Navworx unit, checked wiring...no luck. Sure learned a lot in the mean time on how this unit and ASD-B work. Any ideas??

As mentioned earlier, I've been working with others stuck with these units (including myself) because of the AD by selling and installing (per AMOC) at a significant savings over all other ADS-B units. So far good luck except one plane...an RV6A. The plane keeps giving Baro Alt failures. I am pulling my hair out trying everything and still no luck. Changed encoder, transponder, transmon, Navworx unit, checked wiring...no luck. Sure learned a lot in the mean time on how this unit and ASD-B work. Any ideas??

Easy to debug, since just about all inputs to the 600 are ascii text strings. Just use hyperterminal or putty to watch what data is being transmitted on the encoder line. If you see data, the problem is the Navworx box or configuration.

No data, then the problem is the encoder or an open circuit.

Anonymous mode

Just installed an ads600-b running software version 4.1 paired with 430w and Garmin 327.

Can't locate anonymous mode option like ads600-exp had. Is anonymous mode an option with the ads600-b?

Just installed an ads600-b running software version 4.1 paired with 430w and Garmin 327.

Can't locate anonymous mode option like ads600-exp had. Is anonymous mode an option with the ads600-b?

IT's been too long since I've been in the Navworx menus. Even though I facilitated several of the AMOCs, I no longer have an unit.

If memory serves me correct, there was a check box that allowed anonymous mode when squawking 1200.

Hello Bob

Thanks for your reply. I looked all through the menus and cannot locate any anonymous mode checkbox like the EXP unit had. But it has another issue...

It is failing GPS position:
I have the ads600-b installed. It is wired to a 430w for ads-b out+ position source per the amoc. I have setup the 430w relevant rs-232 channel output for ads-b out+. I have set the ads600-b inputs tab gps source to ?compliant ads-b out+ gns 400w/500w gtn650/750 ifd 440/540".

The install manual states "gns 430w/530w must be operating with software version 5.0 or later" to use the 430w as position source.
Is that referring to the main software or the gps software for the 430w?
I have main version 5.10 and gps version 3.2
2ch9hk0.jpg

Hello Bob

Thanks for your reply. I looked all through the menus and cannot locate any anonymous mode checkbox like the EXP unit had. But it has another issue...

It is failing GPS position:
I have the ads600-b installed. It is wired to a 430w for ads-b out+ position source per the amoc. I have setup the 430w relevant rs-232 channel output for ads-b out+. I have set the ads600-b inputs tab gps source to ?compliant ads-b out+ gns 400w/500w gtn650/750 ifd 440/540".

The install manual states "gns 430w/530w must be operating with software version 5.0 or later" to use the 430w as position source.
Is that referring to the main software or the gps software for the 430w?
I have main version 5.10 and gps version 3.2
2ch9hk0.jpg

I'm not up to speed on the 430 software releases. I have a 650.

I would reach out to Ralph Capen or Steve@Garmin [email protected].

You can probably search here for any info on ADSB+. Garmin has two different ADSB APIs. The original ADSB and ADSB+. You have to enable ADSB+ on the port that goes to the Navworx unit for things to work.

Another suggestion is to just google ADSB+ & 430W. There was plenty of discussion about the two different ADSB APIs and the confusion it caused folks. I just never paid attention since it didn't impact me. Sorry...?.

Does anyone know where I can get the navworkx config software and latest software? I have the non exp navworks.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Back