What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help please with autopilot servo install

Mr Charles

Well Known Member
I am installing a Skyview in my beloved 4, and have decided to go ahead and install the roll servo while I have everything torn apart! I would really prefer to install it forward of the spar...I have researched and found several installed in the stickwell near the rear stick...but only a mention of a possible installation near the front stick. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? And if so, any photos would be greatly appreciated. I can fabricate brackets no problem...

Charles

I have installed one near the front stick, IIRC. I used the bolt holding the right wing pushrod, lengthened it and put a spacer to hold the servo pushrod. You may need to slightly enlarge the lightening hole in the rib.

PM me your email address & I'll send you pics of several Navaid installations forward of the spar. You can see the technique, & determine if your servo will fit.

Charlie

Thanks for replys

Jessie..I am confused...right wing pushrod is behind the spar on the 4. I am wanting to keep servo ahead of the spar...?

Charlie, PM sent.

Also, I have never used an autopilot. The 4 has such responsive light controls, I was wondering if there would be a noticeable change in stickforce when handflying? When not in operation, wouldn't pilot inputs have to overcome servo motor resistance? Or is there a clutch arrangement that disconnects drive from lever arm?

Charles

Just sent you a few pics to your email address.

When my autopilot's off, I never notice its presence while in flight.

Charlie

I didn't build it, but Steve posted some good stuff on his build blog:

http://gikonindex.blogspot.co.uk/

The autopilot is great, altitude hold is excellent, allows you to keep you head out of the window when in busy airspace.....yet to try it inverted! You don't notice it at all when disconnected, but can feel a slight restriction when on the ground, not in flight. Make sure you can overcome the a/p when it is engaged in case of malfunction.

Neil

Last edited:
Back