What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Art/Geometry

Next, you have to draw a girl in a bikini.:rolleyes:

That's a great idea! I need at least 25 gallons for that drawing. :D

Somebody from the forum suggested to put this bird in the water. I looked over the ocean and there is not much free airspace there :D

It is to be hoped we don't have any teenagers on the site, because we all know what gets drawn on the chalkboard at school when the teacher is out !!!!

What steps does one take to plan and execute these flights?

Step 1. Study your airspace. Stay out of arrivals/departures you have more room to the east to play then I have here. Be ready to talk to ATC at any point of your flight.
Step 2. Take a tablet/phablet/smartphone with any nav app and draw a circle or any geometric figure on it. If unable to draw choose anything on the map i.e. VOR circle, lat/long square etc. Choose an entry point.
Step 3. Have an APRS tracker or any kind of tracker with on/off switch.
Step 4. Switch the tracker on over entry point.
Step 5. Switch off when done. Enjoy your track on Google Maps.

I am using Foreflight and having a stylus it's relatively easy to dot a figure looking at 2D silhouette. I also can print on transparency and dot it over iPad Pro. Takes a bit of time but you have some fun hand flying precisely. It's very easy to botch a sky drawing especially complex ones. Couple seconds missed on 140 degree turn and your line is crooked. I completed about 20% of what I drew because of traffic, weather, birds, winds, late/early turns, iPad puked etc :)

Last edited:
My first shot at flight "art". Around and through the 3 Sisters mountains from my home field K6K5.

Heart_zps3diedarn.jpg

And a picture of one the Sisters. (well two if you count the one peeking out from from behind)

IMG_1419_zpsevaqc0zz.jpg

Steve
RV-4
Bearhawk 4PL

contest rules

Ok so for this contest, I declare you must follow Vlad's rules: only hand flying allowed!!

Very nice three sisters. Talk about motivation.
My motivation used to be nice beaches, vegas. As I got older it is Now seeing retired friends, and ... APRS art.

Last edited:
Aerial Calligraphy

In memory of my grandfather who fought that war (1941-1945) and came home. Gone west in 1978.

Planned and postponed for couple days. WX, TFRs you name it :)

Happy Thanksgiving

10 minutes with a stylus

then 38 minutes of flying fun. The result - the biggest wild turkey in the world. :D

Once upon a time a good friend of mine from far away topped me off around Hanukkah. He asked me to draw something big :D

On a weekend I went up, got a squawk and settled myself between 7 and 9 thousand feet. Over four hours and three controllers later I was still up there above the deck, listening to music, contemplating about life and giving PIREP to a rare flyer who ventured to punch through the thin layer. I didn't finish the silhuette the fuel was running low. I promised my buddy to try again next year. Hi John :D

Back