What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C 60 AMP Alternator

Pman

Anyone install a 60amp B&C Alternator on a Superior IO-360, Horizontal Induction (Van's Snorkel) and with the Van's smooth cowling on a RV8?

Wondering if the B&C 60amp will fit WITHOUT interference issues with the cowling and engine above?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Kinda... I did it on my -7.

Nope, it will not fit without modifying the snorkel.

You can simply cut out the interfering area and re-glass it. I pushed out the front area, but it probably wasn't necessary.

We also tufted the inside and attached a vacuum cleaner to it when it was done. That was interesting. all the pieces of yarn pointed towards the suction... who'da thunk it!?!

Van's tech support said that was more than they did when they designed it.

Pretty much, you can't go wrong. In the end, you have an AWESOME starter on your bird!

Oh wait! yah, you will also need to mess with the mixture arm!!!

I flipped it the other way, removed the bell crank and installed a longer mixture cable. Unforeseen benefit... more precise mixture control without the bellcrank.

Go for it!

:) CJ

Yes

Yes, we did and have had no issues to date. We have an E.C.I. IOX-360, with the snorkel inlet. The oil sump is the same as the "M" engines with the forward facing inlet with the oil over air chamber to the induction.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Kinda... I did it on my -7.

Nope, it will not fit without modifying the snorkel.

You can simply cut out the interfering area and re-glass it. I pushed out the front area, but it probably wasn't necessary.

We also tufted the inside and attached a vacuum cleaner to it when it was done. That was interesting. all the pieces of yarn pointed towards the suction... who'da thunk it!?!

Van's tech support said that was more than they did when they designed it.

Pretty much, you can't go wrong. In the end, you have an AWESOME starter on your bird!

Oh wait! yah, you will also need to mess with the mixture arm!!!

I flipped it the other way, removed the bell crank and installed a longer mixture cable. Unforeseen benefit... more precise mixture control without the bellcrank.

Go for it!

:) CJ
Maybe you meant to say "Alternator" and not "Starter". The OP question was about a B&C alternator. When I replace my PP 60 amp alternator with a 60 amp B&C alternator, I found that they appeared top be about the same size dimensional wise.

Maybe you meant to say "Alternator" and not "Starter". The OP question was about a B&C alternator. When I replace my PP 60 amp alternator with a 60 amp B&C alternator, I found that they appeared top be about the same size dimensional wise.

Ha!

I read alternator, but thought starter!

I just figured there wasn't any question about fitting the alternator, but there usually is an issue fitting the starter.

;) CJ

Back