What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another New Guy!

John Owen

Well Known Member
Hi, I just bought a RV-8 (N222BC) with a IO-360 after doing transition training and my TW endorsement. I have completed two solo flights-both have gone well. What a blast! I am being very cautious, spending a lot of time in slow flight, stalls and maneuvering to ground reference at altitude. I got advice to do 3 pt. landings until I got 50 landings in. I have a dozen now in the RV-8 and probably at least double that in the transition training in a RV-7. For the past several months, I have lurked on this site and have learned a lot. Thanks! I look forward to participating as an owner, although not the builder.
John

John,

Welcome to VAF! I guess you already know the benefits if you have been lurking, so as you learn more about your new airplane, time to share your knowledge with the rest of the group.

cheers,
greg

I got advice to do 3 pt. landings until I got 50 landings in.
John

John,
I will also says welcome to VAF...however, are you sure that advice wasn't "wheel landings until you've got 50 landings in"? The 8 is well known to do tail low wheel landings better than 3-pointers.

Either way, welcome to VAF, have fun and be careful until you get a real feel for her. And take some time to get familiar with the picture posting procedure...we're all going to want to see your airplane and your grin. :D

Regards,

are you sure that advice wasn't "wheel landings until you've got 50 landings in"? The 8 is well known to do tail low wheel landings better than 3-pointers.

Thanks for the encouragement. I suspect that you are right. I talked to a bunch of RV-8 guys at a local airport and I think that I got different advice from each of them as far as the best landings to start with. This plane does land differently than the RV-7 that I got my transition training in. It lands well 3 pt. but I will do some wheel landings soon. My landings have been better than I deserve so far.

I look forward to more VAF involvement.

Thanks again.
John

Back