What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Bar Handles

Rick6a

Well Known Member
I seek valuable input from those builders with flying RV8's and -8A's The issue is handles and the potential utility of installing one or more handles as an aid to entry and exit. Right now, I use a step ladder to get in and out and since it will be some time before the wings are attached, it is difficult for me to envision how entry and exit will ultimately "feel."

I recently bought a pair of handles from http://www.aircraftextras.com/ the very same handles I installed in my -6A and do find their use in that application to be virtually essential.

The pictures illustrate potential handle placement in the -8. I am very interested in your comments and real world experiences.

instrumentpanel04010iy5.jpg
instrumentpanel04110an0.jpg
instrumentpanel03910fq3.jpg

I'm pretty sure you don't want to mount them on the roll bar where your showing. When you try to close the canopy, the bow will want to set right up against the roll bar. You will need to sit in the plane with the canopy closed and see where to mount them (probably aimed somewhat downward).

Originally, I wished that I had installed handles but I'm now so used to getting in without them that I hadn't thought about it in a long time.

I haven't sat in an -8 with the handles so can't comment as to if they are worth it.

Karl

Not sure I'd put one on the rear seat roll bar. I've been into and out of the back seat of several owners RV-8's and you just don't need one there to get in and out.

Up front they can come in handy, but like the other post, make sure you get the angle correct by sitting in it with the canopy closed before drilling and mounting it/them.

Not needed

The stock weldment makes a great grab bar when getting up on the wing. I really don't think anything additional is needed and, IMO, would just be in the way.

I find that I tend to (easily) use the side rails like "parallel bars" getting in and out of either the front or rear cockpit, and have never felt like I needed an extra handle in either spot. Just another datapoint.

Paul

I have them and use them, but only for steadying myself. If you were to reef on those handles on the roll bar you could crack your windscreen (don't ask how I know this). They are great for hanging on to as you swing your legs in and out of the front seat.

The side of the weldment is what I use to grab onto to get on the wing.

Here is a pic of my handle installation.

canopy7.jpg

I'm a tall guy and those handles are just fine for placement even though they look like they might be in the way.

Cheers

Last edited:
I agree with DAn.. Although I have a pair on my -9A, I'm thinking of changing them to the off road nylon strap kind - they use them for the roll bar installation, and are available from the off road shops. Colored, flexible and safe....and wide so less pressure on your delicate hands....

Allan

Clearly the hard point handles will create a severe safety hazard. I would be opting for a soft canvas/rope handle if one is needed at all.

I seek valuable input from those builders with flying RV8's and -8A's The issue is handles and the potential utility of installing one or more handles as an aid to entry and exit. Right now, I use a step ladder to get in and out and since it will be some time before the wings are attached, it is difficult for me to envision how entry and exit will ultimately "feel."

I recently bought a pair of handles from http://www.aircraftextras.com/ the very same handles I installed in my -6A and do find their use in that application to be virtually essential.

The pictures illustrate potential handle placement in the -8. I am very interested in your comments and real world experiences.

I mounted those handles at the 10:30 and 1:30 clock positions on the rollbar. I cut at least an inch off of the handle and re-tapped it so it wouldn't stick out so far. They stick out maybe 1.5-2.0 inches from the rollbar. Also, I was careful to mount them in a position so they wouldn't hit the canopy.

I find that I use them all the time. I'm 6'3", so I have to be careful not to bang into stuff when I'm trying to wedge myself into the seat. The handles are very helpful for that. They also provide a nice handhold for people getting in and out of the back seat -- it prevents them from grabbing for the fiberglass strip that runs around the rollbar.

I know this thread is 6 years old but I am considering these handles and wonder about compromising the structural integrity of the roll bar.

Any thoughts?

Blain

I bought a pair planning on fitting them but as the project came close to fruition climbing in and out I found I didn't need them. Now that I have been flying for nearly two years I can say I definitely don't need them. I'm 6ft /195 lbs dressed and I get in without touching the roll bar and on exit my finger tips go under the roll bar for a little stability (I wear flying gloves so plenty of grip). I mainly lever myself up by pushing down on the canopy rail.

Is there a completed 8 nearby you can practice entry/exit to see if you really need them?

Me too

I have been considering installing these on my 9. I have purchased a pair, but like the original poster I can?t figure out where to place them. Seems to me the rear of the handle (where it is secured) will be under the windscreen fairing. And how hard to you really want to pull on them?

FS; entry handles?

Blain

I bought a pair planning on fitting them but as the project came close to fruition climbing in and out I found I didn't need them. Now that I have been flying for nearly two years I can say I definitely don't need them. I'm 6ft /195 lbs dressed and I get in without touching the roll bar and on exit my finger tips go under the roll bar for a little stability (I wear flying gloves so plenty of grip). I mainly lever myself up by pushing down on the canopy rail.

Is there a completed 8 nearby you can practice entry/exit to see if you really need them?

Spent more time in the back of -4 and -8 then the front. I guess that waiting isn't such a bad idea.

Handles

I installed a pair of handles in my 9A and like them a lot. I can pull really hard on them. They are quite sturdy. Very useful.
RV9A Bill

As previously mentioned, I would be very concerned about breaking the windscreen to fuelage fairing bond and about crash safety/ head injury. 200 plus hours on my 8 and no need for handles noted. Cockpit siderails are main supports for ingress and egress

Hope these help...

Here's a couple of shots of my -8. I used allen head capscrews, smaller and possible to remove if need be.

I have rotator cuff issues on both shoulders so the parallel bar trick with the side rails is just not a possibility. I would have great difficulty getting out without the handles. They make it easy.

They are also useful for the rear seat passenger, using the front seat back rail for the first step and the front handles second to get on their feet.

With my 5 point harness secured I just can't imagine hitting them with my head unless the bar came back to meet me, then I got bigger problems...

I love em!

I had a welder weld some handles on for me that were bent out of a solid rod. I am not worried about an accident and head injury with these (would be if only used one in center). They are used all the time (especially for a tall person from the rear getting in and out), and I highly recommend them. I use them every time I get in and out of the plane.

Looks like Ron (in the previous post), has them mounted very close to where mine are. I would do the same thing all over again.

id839h.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's a couple of shots of my -8. I used allen head capscrews, smaller and possible to remove if need be.

I have rotator cuff issues on both shoulders so the parallel bar trick with the side rails is just not a possibility. I would have great difficulty getting out without the handles. They make it easy.

They are also useful for the rear seat passenger, using the front seat back rail for the first step and the front handles second to get on their feet.

With my 5 point harness secured I just can't imagine hitting them with my head unless the bar came back to meet me, then I got bigger problems...

I had a welder weld some handles on for me that were bent out of a solid rod. I am not worried about an accident and head injury with these (would be if only used one in center). They are used all the time (especially for a tall person from the rear getting in and out), and I highly recommend them. I use them every time I get in and out of the plane.

Looks like Ron (in the previous post), has them mounted very close to where mine are. I would do the same thing all over again.

id839h.jpg
[/IMG]

Ron, did you use Aircraft Extras product?
Not to drift off topic but I'm nearing painting the cabin and haven't chosen a color yet.
Dave, your paner looks glossy. Any reflection problems?
Ron; I like your color also, what is it?

handles

I too installed the aircraft extra handles on my -8. Some notes:

1. I drilled the screw holes deeper then cut them so the handles would be shorter.

2. I find the handles to be very useful for getting in and out, but they are especially useful for the passenger getting into the rear seat.

3. I don't think the small diameter holes drilled across the roll bar, then filled with screws will weaken the structure (that's my mechanical engineer opinion, without any formal analysis done on this)

4. I'll try to get some pictures of my installation over the weekend.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
Ron, did you use Aircraft Extras product? YES

Ron; I like your color also, what is it?

Sorry the paint is at the hangar so I cant be specific, but it's a rattle can textured grey from Rona. I painted components before final assembly. It touches up well. No reflections.

Reflection problems.

Ron, I worried about reflection problems having a glossy panel, but I have not had any problems with it. On a rare occasion or two, I have caught a sun reflection on the polished side canopy rails, but that's ok.

Here's an angle no one else has posted. I don't feel you need it for getting in and out, but I find when flying straight and level, I kind of wouldn't mind "hanging" my right hand from "something"----about the 2 O'clock position. I think F-18 Navy guys have one mounted there for Catapult launches on the carrier.

BUT, I would first get a few hundred hours in your plane. Just because I feel a need to put that right hand somewhere doesn't mean you will. (Don't feel any need for the left hand, I guess they're always resting on the throttle quadrant.):)

Here's the grab handles the builder of my RV-6 installed on the rollbar.They work great, especially being angled downward a bit. I'm not worried at all about them causing a head injury in a forced off-airport landing because my head will more likely get bashed into the instrument panel and that sharp metal glareshield under the padded covering instead :eek:

PS: I'm always using the right handle in flight as a place to hang my right hand onto, it's very comfortable and comes in handy to help block the sunlight glare!

img57311.jpg

Last edited:
handle on RV-8 roll bar

I have one, in the left-side position. I use it every time I get in and out.

My back seaters often use it too. That would not be the case for an -8A, only-8s because of the nose high attitude, it puts the roll bar in reach for a back seater.

I don't seem to come even close to it with my head at any time. I don't think there is any way for it to be a crash hazard.

Handles

Has anyone tried this set of handles, and perhaps more importantly, the jig?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vans-Aircr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I have those handles installed on my RV-8, however I shortened them quite a bit which required drilling the screw holes deeper and re-tapping them. I did not use the jig for drilling the roll bar.

The handles are extremely useful for both front seat and back seat passengers getting in and out. They also help prevent people from trying to grab the windscreen fairing. I would absolutely install these again if I had to do it over!

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
I have those handles installed on my RV-8, however I shortened them quite a bit which required drilling the screw holes deeper and re-tapping them. I did not use the jig for drilling the roll bar.

The handles are extremely useful for both front seat and back seat passengers getting in and out. They also help prevent people from trying to grab the windscreen fairing. I would absolutely install these again if I had to do it over!

Skylor
RV-8

Skylor,

How did you get the holes all lined up w/out a jig?

Completed plane?

I made very careful measurements to lay out the holes, then used a small drill press to drill them.

Skylor

Skylor, was this on a completed plane or was it during the build process when you could put the roll bar on a drill press?

Brian

I am also curious what Carl would not install then on any RV. I am concered mostly about stress on the RV8 canopy surround which is made from Carbon fiber on mine. I can mostly avoid putting pressure on it but there are times when these handles would really help at least one. There really is nothing to grab on the plane as you get in the front seat.

The jig advertised is the way to go on a finished RV. It takes a lot of guess work out.

I have seen these handles (some welded on ) many RV 8's at oshkosh.

Just wonder what the downside its. The only one I can see is that handles provided are a little long. I would likely shorten mine. the appear to be standard drawer pulls available stock.

Roll Bar Drilling

Skylor, was this on a completed plane or was it during the build process when you could put the roll bar on a drill press?

Brian

Sorry that I missed this question earlier. In my case, i drilled the roll bar and installed the handles while I was building the plane.

Skylor

Back