What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

prop bolt torque

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Question;
Are all you RV-12 owners removing the spinner and checking torque of the prop bolts every 25 hrs?, seems like a frequent inspection to me. 4 times per oil change.

Your thoughts ??

Tom O.

my bad

I see it was revised out of the maintenance manual. It was every 25hrs, and now it is at each annual condition inspection.
I feel a little better now!.

safety first

...It keeps bothering me though that nor Van's nor Sensenich supplies bolts to be finished with safety wire. I just torqued my prop for the first time, but I'm ordering some more washers and will use drilled bolts next time I pull the spinner.

...It keeps bothering me though that nor Van's nor Sensenich supplies bolts to be finished with safety wire. I just torqued my prop for the first time, but I'm ordering some more washers and will use drilled bolts next time I pull the spinner.

If you do a bit of research on Nordlock washers, you will find that they are quite reliable as safetying devices.

I have been working with this prop on RV-12's for 12 years now and have yet to find a loose bolt when checking during inspections, etc.

If each pair of Nord Lock washers is installed correctly with the beveled sides facing each other, it takes considerably more torque to loosen the bolts than it did to tighten them. They are not going to loosen up on their own. The same wedge lock washers are used on the brakes. I even used those washers on engine mount bolts.

re-use lockwashers

the film confirmed my thoughts that a lock washer-couple isn't to be re-used: the angles will tear. Are there any given times one could re-use these washers?

Back