What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting in an RV-4

Hi Guys.
I am hoping to buy an RV-4 in the next few years and had a question regarding how I might fit in one. I am 5' 5" tall and 135 pounds. I imagine most pilots are a lot bigger than me. How do you think I will fit in an RV-4? Will I be able to reach the rudder pedals? Do most builders layout the distance of the seat and rudder pedals to fit their size or is this a universal dimension among Kit built RV's? Are the seats adjustable?
Thanks!
Dom

I had the same concern, I am only 5' 7" and there appear to be alot of tall people out there. In my RV-12 I had to slouch down in the seat to get the rudder pedals all the way to the stops. I just bought an RV-4 in September and it fits like a glove, literally. I don't think you'll have a problem. If anything it would be the other way around and tall people would have teeth marks on their knees all the time.

Thanks for the info guys. A nice gentleman let me sit in his RV-4 last year at Oshkosh but I was so excited that I did not pay much attention to the ergonomics.
Dom

In all RV's rudder pedals and seats are adjustable to fit the pilots. If it's your airplane, you'll be able to set it up to fit you comfortably.

In all RV's rudder pedals and seats are adjustable to fit the pilots. If it's your airplane, you'll be able to set it up to fit you comfortably.

I guess that could be true depending on how you define 'adjustable'.

The RV-4 would require you to rebuild the seat pan and add a bracket to the seat back in order to adjust the seat position forward. You would need to put shorter rudder cables in to move the pedals closer to you.

If I needed to sit taller and closer in a -4 I would have the seat bottom and back reupholstered adding a layer of high density foam. This goes a long way in comfort and is easy.

The plane was designed for you.

Im 5'10, 135. And it fits great. I could even stand to move the seat back to straighten my legs more. Also there are rudder pedel extensions if you find you need them.

you don't need new rudder cables to adjust the pedals. you just have to make four new straps that attach the cables to the rudder pedals. there is a few inches of adjustment just by lengthening or shortening the straps.

bob burns

N82RB

Seats

Oregon aero will make seats that allow you to fit in the aeroplane. I had mine made for people in the 5'08 range. The only down side to thicker seat padding is that it will put the stick in your groin, and the panel a bit in your face.

The seats are really comfortable though!!

You'll fit

A buddy of mine is no more than 5 feet tall and he fits fine (he bought and is flying his RV-4 without issues). You're good to go . . .

Hey Dom,

Still flying the model jets ? I'm mostly out of it myself now that I have my RV 4 .
You can't go wrong with a 4 . Best bang for your buck I think !

Marc

Back