What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is the RV7 big enough?

PA-28 Canadian

I'm New Here
Hi there,

I currently own a 1967 Cherokee 140 but as retirement looms in 10 years I am really looking into building an RV7.

I do have few questions though.

Number one, and most importantly, will I fit in the RV7? I am 6'5" with fairly long legs (35" inseam) and a large torso as well. When I build the a/c will I be able to modify the panel so that it doesn't come down as far as the standard one? I know some people add an extra 2" to the bottom, I would like to actually take 2" from the bottom for added legroom. Is this doable?

2nd question is how easy is it to transition to a tail wheel? I do have a good amount of flying time (almost 13000 hrs) but most of that is on large multi engine type of planes (P-3 and Airliners).

3rd question. Has anyone built one with air conditioning? Figure it would be nice in the summer months especially if I travel bellow the 49th parallel.

Thanks,
John

Welcome to the journey, the -7 is a great airplane!

1) 6'4" here with the same 35" inseam. I left the panel stock and have zero issues with leg room, head room is fine for me as well with flightline interiors seats.

2) I don't find the tailwheel difficult at all to land, but that's all I've flown since I got my private. My personal transition went like this: I got my tailwheel signoff in a Stinson 108 in about 6 hours starting the day after I passed my private checkride in a 172, Flew that for about 40 hours, 2 hours dual in an RV-6, and now 300 hours in my -7 with no issues.

3) Especially in Canada I wouldn't consider the weight and complexity of real AC; I'm not even sure anyone makes them for a -7. The RV climbs fast enough that even on the most uncomfortable days you're only a 5 min climb from smooth and cool. If you're really concerned, I've seen others make a simple "AC" system from a cooler and a computer fan, or commercially available http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/arctic-air-portable-air-conditioner-38-qt-single-fan-12-volt.html

Last edited:
Hi there,

I currently own a 1967 Cherokee 140 but as retirement looms in 10 years I am really looking into building an RV7.

Number one, and most importantly, will I fit in the RV7? I am 6'5" with fairly long legs (35" inseam) and a large torso as well. When I build the a/c will I be able to modify the panel so that it doesn't come down as far as the standard one? I know some people add an extra 2" to the bottom, I would like to actually take 2" from the bottom for added legroom. Is this doable?
Can't speak to this one.

2nd question is how easy is it to transition to a tail wheel? I do have a good amount of flying time (almost 13000 hrs) but most of that is on large multi engine type of planes (P-3 and Airliners).
Tailwheel transition isn't hard. I did it as a newly-minted private pilot. As with other training, just fly a bunch and do it over a few days or weeks; don't drag it out over a year like I did.
I've never flown anything but little airplanes, so I can't speak to transitioning from large aircraft.

3rd question. Has anyone built one with air conditioning? Figure it would be nice in the summer months especially if I travel bellow the 49th parallel.
I don't think you'll need it. I live in the deep south and I don't know anyone with air conditioning in their little airplane; it weighs too much and saps a lot of power. If you try to fly in the middle of the day it'll be hot down low; just get some altitude and keep your speed up and the cabin vents will help a lot. Get a good sunshade, too. Try to fly in the morning or evening if you can.

You'll find that others of your stature have fit into a -7 but nobody my size (5'8", 200lbs) would be able to comfortably fly it (lots of cushions behind me). I would be leaning toward the -14. Van's created it just for folks your size :D

There is a company that makes A/C units but it takes away precious usable weight from the -7. Here, again, the -14 would be better.

If you are set on a -7, get the super track mod (if it's a slider) and the Anti-Splat Almost -14 mod. Mount the peddles as far forward as possible. Others with this setup have mounted blocks on the copilot peddles for shorter passengers/pilots.

Last edited:
I used to own an RV-6A and I'm of the same dimensions as you. The 6 has about 1" less headroom and I fit fine. I do wear QT Halos as my headset as it saves headroom. For more legroom, you can move the bottom of the seat base back 1". I think you'll be quite happy with a 7.

can't go wrong with a -14

too pricey? find a partner, that'll help get you thru the build too!

sit in as many RV's as you can find. I am 5' 11" on a good day and sure, there's a little air over my headset, but canopy bumps are frequent. You will NOT like sharing the elbow space with another person.
my opinion; if you build or buy a -7, and do all the mods as suggested to the A/C, slider tracks, seatback etc....you may not like the end result, limited payload, wt & balance challenges etc.

then go sit in a -14.

or a -10!!!! you don't HAVE to fill all the seats!!!!

Really.

then get out your chequebook. :)

Last edited:
Can't comment on size as my wife and I are both short. But I can say that even here in FL, A/C really wouldn't be worth the money, weight, or complexity. It may get hot on the ground, but with the slider canopy open, as soon as I start up I have plenty of breeze. And since RV's climb so fast, you can be in cooler air within a matter of just a few minutes. Heck, the majority of our last flight down to Key West my wife was complaining of being cold...

Chris

The shoulder space is a good point, I flew my uncle who is about as big as I am and "you have to like each other" is an accurate statement. Not overly uncomfortable but definitely close. I too use a behind the head head set (QT halo, which I love) but I've only hit my head on the canopy once and that was only because I didn't latch the 5th point of my seatbelt in some pretty heavy turbulence in winter. Which brings me to my next point on headroom, I went with the Conforfoam upgrade from Flightline on my seats and wouldn't do it again. When flying in the winter it gets hard, and then the head room is tight until my body heat & seat heat softens it up a bit and it compresses back to normal.

Last edited:
RV-7 in Montreal Area

Hello John,

There are a few RV-7(a) in the Montreal area. I know one owner in Joliette (CSG3). If you want to sit in one, I can ask and share contact with him. Alternatively, I know a gentleman building one near Mirabel.

There is a small but active RV'ers community around Montreal. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to know about the ac. I guess I'm just used to my Cherokee which doesn't have much ventilation on the ground and doesn't climb like an RV so usually pretty hot in flight as well.

I guess I'll have to try and sit in a few 7s to get a real feel. Thanks for the offer of assistance Martin. I'll let you know.

As for the 14, I would love to but the kit is about 10 grand more (u.s. $$$) and the engine they talk about is pricey as well... (the CinC watches the finances quite tightly!). Anyhow I'm just starting to ask questions as I still have 5-6 years before my Cherokee is due for engine OH so I have time. I'll keep everyone posted.

Keep the great info coming!

John

Hi John,
I had a lot of the very same questions you did, at the beginning, but from the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm 5'4"....will I fit? I didn't get my answers 100% fulfilled until I met with a few of the builders in my area. I got to sit in the plane, adjust the padding and seat back. I got to see how the rudders adjust during the build process and how they can be changed later. I got to see over the cowl and it was a huge help.

If you haven't explored much here, there is a Canada forum here too. Post a request to visit someone nearby. I'll bet there is a -7 on the field you fly from, assuming you don't fly from a private strip.

RV-7 will it fit a 6'5" guy?

I have an RV-7A and was able to fit my 6'3" 260 friend without an issue, however my 6'5" friend hit his head on the canopy unless sitting with the cushion removed. He has a very tall sitting height even for his size so that is the important number.
I just bought a kit called almost an RV-14 Seat Mod https://antisplataero.com/
This would probably be the SOLUTION for you. Check out the video on the website, it allows the seat to lean further back putting your head into the position to be in the higher spot of the canopy. It makes a big difference and is also a more comfortable position for any tall passengers or anyone just wanting to lean back.
I also have purchased extra removable seat cushions to sit on top of existing cushions for my shorter passengers like my wife who at 5'2" cant see out the front window if the seat is reclined like she likes it.
Also if you are concerned about the tail wheel time you can always look at the RV-7A. I will be honest tail draggers have the cooler old school look, but tricycle gear has it's upsides. Especially on very narrow taxways with no room to s turn.

I'm 6'2" at about 250.

Before I made my decision to build a 14 I sat in a 7 and then a 9 and then the 14 at Sun-N-Fun. As soon as I sat down in the 14 my decision was made, there's just simply more room, not to mention you get the added benefit of the updated kit.

Last edited:
RV 7 Room

I fly an RV 10 now, which I love. I started with an RV 7A. I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam as well.
You'll be snug in a 7. The 14 is roomier but if your mission allows a two seater, I would go with the 7. The 7 is such a delight to fly, nimble, responsive, fun. I think the 14 wing would make the plane fly more like my 10, so I would rather be snug in a 7 than roomy in a 14. YMMV.
But most important, a Cherokee? Once you start flying a 7 (or14, for that matter), you'll kick yourself for not changing planes sooner. If you can swing it, move up ASAP to an RV. You will not regret it. Life is too short to fly a production aircraft.

John Koonce
N78 MU

Hi there,

Thanks,
John

The one thing you didn't mention is what you intend to do with your new airplane after retirement? There's lots of options out there.

Jim

I was curious about this as well.
Is the 7 big enough for someone like me?
Mom says things like I'm big boned, or husky.
I'm just fat, 5 11, 240lbs.

Ive just never sat in one, would like to know if they are wide enough

Hey workky,

You'll fit in a 7 or a 9, and no problems at all with the 14.

I am of larger size also, 5'9" - 240 and although its tight in a 9 (with someone else about my size) its something I do on a regular basis.

I'm 6' 2" and long legs, and fit just fine in the -9 (same fuse as the -7). I have the seats all the way back and the pedals all the way forward. Long flights have me looking for ways to stretch the legs, but I'm never uncomfortable.

As others have said, the -14 is just a bit bigger and it makes it more comfortable. We tried one on a Oshkosh and there are many other benefits, such as a lower fuse side (easier to get in, no side struts in your way, better downward visibility).

If I was choosing today what to build, I would probably (for a 2 seater) choose the -14. The only downside is no slider canopy on the -14, but the new tip up design is much nicer than on the -7 or -9.

John where are you based? I have a friend with a 7 at Lachute, CSE4.

Tailwheel is a blast. I have no interest in trike geared airplanes after learning how to fly one. And it gives you the opportunity to experience so many neat old airplanes (champs, cubs, biplanes etc etc). I have been told that it takes most people 8 to 10 hrs to solo from never having flown an airplane, and it is the same for trike gear or tailwheel. Lots of people still learn to fly on them.

My Dad soloed the Harvard (T-6) in 10 hrs at 18 yrs old, like all the other cadets, and that was a bear of an airplane.

rv7a

dear chunky countryman

at 187#/5'10 i've built an rv7a and fit quite well with my 120#/5'3 girlfriend.
while I'm flying I feel fine as does she but with my 5'10" 200lb man friend in the px seat there is noticably less elbow room but still ok for trips of 1 or 2 hours.

even without considering the matter of girth at 6'5 you might be pushing the size limits of the rv7 or 7a.

please consider the 8 or 8a design. they provide greater room per passenger in all dimensions.

regards

jeffrey r hodgson, md
RV7a N377CP KWVI

Hey workky,

You'll fit in a 7 or a 9, and no problems at all with the 14.

I am of larger size also, 5'9" - 240 and although its tight in a 9 (with someone else about my size) its something I do on a regular basis.

Even with another passenger? I really think the only person that would go with me would be my daughter or friends who are 220lb. But, they would not go often. It's a battle I try and figure out. 14 or 7. I like the slider option on the 7, but the room in the 14. I'm lost at sea

Cost alone says 7, everything else says 14

Back