What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 vs 796 vs New Ipad

floridawing

Well Known Member
IMG_0331.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0332.jpg
[/IMG]

Afew pics in the bright sun light! The 796 is almost as good as the 696, the ipad is difficult to read.

I have a panel mounted 695 (same as the 696 but without Wx) and purchased the new iPad in March. I have been flying with both now for a couple of months and can absolutely attest to the fact the 695 is absolutely 1000% better in direct sunlight. The iPad flat out stinks in any kind of light other than indoors or very well shaded environments.

I do have a comment on your pics. I appreciate the effort taken to photograph these instruments and fully understand the intent. However, I have a little problem with the outcome. Even though you were outside in full sunlight you may notice that your shadow was actually casting over the 696 and the 796 but not the iPad. I am sure if you were to re-photograph them and ensure the direct sunlight was also hitting the Garmin units you would most likely have a better comparison.

Just my .02.

RVbySDI; said:
Even though you were outside in full sunlight you may notice that your shadow was actually casting over the 696 and the 796 but not the iPad.

Just my .02.

Another observation, the iPad in the pic is not totally at a disadvantage from the shadow you describe. The iPad is set on a slight angle AWAY from the sun, so in that respect, it has an advantage.

My experience, ipad2 flight ops

I fly day VFR with an iPad2 and Foreflight, using a swiveling Ram Mount on the left edge of my cockpit. The ipad2 is the wifi-only model, so I've added the BadElf GPS. No screen covers, coatings, or films.

To start the day I disable the Passcode lock and set full brightness in the iPad settings and full brightness in the Foreflight settings. My battery charge life for those settings drops to maybe 6 - 7 hours instead of the nominal 10 hours. On a x-country I'll grab some recharge time during the stops.

Often there are conditions where the iPad2 glass reflects objects like chrome shoulder harness hardware and light clothing. RECOMMEND DARK CLOTHING and non-reflective objects as much as possible.

Using these tips I can see the iPad2 display and easily see and use ForeFlight approximately 90% of the time. Worth every penny of $75/year for current charts. :D Also flying with Garmin 496 (no subscriptions) and XM weather. The XM subscription is worth $35/month for WX and TFRs. :) The 496 drives the Trio Pro Pilot. Neither unit has ever lost GPS position lock.

Flying with two affordable independent and airplane electrical failure-proof GPS mapping systems! What a fantastic improvement since learning to fly in 1975. :D

My experiences over 10 months and approx 150 hours of flight.

Back