What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie-Down Ring

asw20c

Well Known Member
Is the tie-down ring (tri-gear) that screws into the tie-down bracket on bulkhead F-01412 supposed to be included in the empennage kit? As far as I can tell it makes its first appearance in the plans on page 10-25 in figure 1. My kit did not include the ring.

at least ten knots

The Cleveland seem expensive at first. Have had mine over a year now... and I swear the plane is much faster.

Do you guys..

..typically leave them in the plane, even when flying? I thought the idea was to carry them and install them once you've landed, not leave them in at all times... No?

..typically leave them in the plane, even when flying? I thought the idea was to carry them and install them once you've landed, not leave them in at all times... No?

In the plane, yes.

Installed on the plane, no.:D

btw, I have the Cleaveland rings. I only use them a small percentage of my trips, so I don't leave them in.

Last edited:
Installed?

I leave the one on my tail installed, I have a nut installed on it and it is tighten down to the mount. I have nutplates installed on the side walls in the baggage area that the wing tie down ring are installed into when not in use.

The aft (tail) tie down ring is also intended to be the tail strike protection. If you use something different, it would be a good idea to push the tail down and confirm the rudder cant come in contact with the ground (also consider it digging into soft ground on a non paved runway).
Flying with none installed in the rear... not recommended.

The standard tie down rings that came with my RV7 (purchased from the builder already flying) are rusty. I'd like replace what I have but can't justify $25 a piece Cleveland tie down rings. Is VANs the only source for new rings, or are the standard rings just Home Depot stock?

Robert

Mine were a little rusty too. I cleaned 'em up with a wire brush and sandpaper, shot primer on them and painted them bright red. Now they look just like new.

Try Lowes

Take a tie down ringtone Lowes. I'm pretty sure you can match them. Since my wings are white I painted mine.

Try Lowes

Take a tie down ring to Lowes. I'm pretty sure you can match them. Since my wings are white I painted mine.

Back