What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page14-06, 14-07 Riveting W-1010 rib

mc607

Well Known Member
Wondering how 14 builders riveted the W-1010 rib to wing spar once the Torque Tube assembly is attached to it as per plans.
Did you reverse rivets so shop head was on 1010 rib flange?
Leave Torque Tube assembly off until rib installed, then rivet assembly to 1010 rib?
Other?
Thanks

I believe if you follow the plans order you will have to put the manufactured head of the rib flange rivet on the forward side of the spar. I'm sure that's perfectly acceptable, but I wanted to keep all my rivets facing the same direction. Plane should fly faster that way:)
If I recall, there was one rivet that was a little difficult if you attach the torque tube assembly to the rib after rib is already installed.
Pictures and process I used in the "Wings (primary structure)" section of my blog.

diagram misinterpretation?

Not sure, but this may be due to some confusion in reading the instruction's diagram.

Do you see that the torque tube assembly does not attach to the forward rib flange (spar end) of the 1010 rib. The torque assembly attaches to the rib 5 or 6 inches back and does not interfere with rib attachment to the spar. The diagram may appear to indicate that.

Or - I may be misinterpreting your question.

Thanks for the replies. This forum has been a valuable asset in the build. Basically I didn?t think putting the shop head on the thin rib side was good practice. I guess it?s ok. I?m going to try drilling small hole in bucking bar and putting my 470 rivet set in hole and then back riveting. Installing the bracket after the rib is attached to spar is a pita.

Update

Really didn?t like the idea of putting shop head on rib so I used this to back rivet the AN470s. I realize it?s acceptable but there is always better and best.
874pbGPUwM6rgqQP2

Tinypic is the way to go. Spent.....wasted hour this morning trying to post pic. Just did it on Tinypic in 5 mins.

Back