What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airing up tires with wheel pants

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I have an RV12 S-LSA with wheel pants. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the size and location of a hole in them to facilitate checking tire pressure and airing up the tires?

I assume doing that wouldn't require a MRA document from Van's.

Thanks,
EBB

I have an RV12 S-LSA with wheel pants. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the size and location of a hole in them to facilitate checking tire pressure and airing up the tires?

I assume doing that wouldn't require a MRA document from Van's.

Thanks,
EBB

Use the hole on the forward end of the outboard wheel pants bracket. Remove the pants and the outboard bracket, screw the forward section of the fairing to the mount and trace the hole onto the fairing and drill with a step drill. You can get a steel or plastic plug at a hardware store that will push in and can be pried out. Mine lined up very closely to the valve stem. You can also line your valve stem up where you want it and mark your tire with a paint stick for quick alignment. Can't comment on the documentation required.

For what it's worth...

El-Cheapo lazer

Aim it at valve stem

Put on wheel pant, transfer hole location

Hole size to fit either hardware store chrome plugs, or stainless spring covers from an aviation supplier...

Hole size?

I'm not a -12 driver, but every time I try to lineup the little hole with the valve stem, and then air chuck, and then get the cap back on......I wish it was twice as big!

I did end up marking the tire so that when I see the mark point straight down at the ground, I know the valve stem is at the hole.

....just my $.02 worth.

The alternative is to simply remove the front half of the wheel fairing...

This doesn't really take much longer by the time you've pulled and pushed the aircraft about to line the valve stem up with the hole, removed the dustcap, fitted the valve extension etc etc.

In addition it gives you a chance to check the tyre (sorry, 'tire' ;) ) for damage, fairing for grass and stuff, brake lining wear, nose wheel fork condition etc.

After step drilling the holes in the wheel pants, I just mark the tire with a bit of yellow paint directly below the hole when the valve stem lines up. No guess work.

If you are having a problem getting to the valve stem through the small hole go to a truck stop and buy a 4" valve extension. Attach that to the tire valve and life becomes easy. I carry the extension in my flight bag with the cover, tie down rings, fuel sampler and Decalin.
Henry

Back